Author Topic: Just bought a 1050 Tiger!  (Read 762 times)

Offline alister667

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Dungannon
Just bought a 1050 Tiger!
on: 07 April, 2021, 11:45:56 PM
Just picked up a 2009 Tiger 1050, so I'm nosing around looking for any hints, tips and mods that need doing!

I knew I was in trouble when I saw the gold wheels...

Offline alister667

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Re: Just bought a 1050 Tiger!
Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2021, 11:54:38 PM
A few more pics.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2021, 12:48:16 AM
Welcome! Like anything, you'll only see things once they are pointed out. You know all the good stuff so I'll bypass that and just give you a gentle list:

Suspension, unless sorted by the previous owner will be sad. I'm an Ohlin's fan but there are much cheaper options that will keep you upright.
The 7/8" chrome bars need to go.
The screen needs to be lifted off the cowl to stop buffeting - dozens of opinions on this, good luck.
The mirror extensions and mirrors themselves are 'Back To The Future' styling and function. Or maybe Praying Mantis look? I went with bar-ends and never looked back.
You will enjoy a nicer chain guard that stops lube coating the LHS seat trim.
The headlights. Oh dear. Ride in daylight only until you can find a Sport cluster then git 'r done.

I'm being a bit snarky 'cos I envy the Black and Gold juxtaposition which is badass. Lovely bike, and clearly a blank canvas. Good to have you here!

PS. Looks like you are one of the UK fortunates (I avoided saying affluent, but now I did?) who live in a country environment and have some space. Unlike my London-city-bound son and his car-bike-under-a tarpaulin-on-the-sidewalk-while-paying-mega-pounds lifestyle. Dungannon, NI? Barely UK, surely.  :007: Ride safe!

PPS. 2009 seems to have been a particularly good vintage. My Orange is rock-solid 12 years later. My only actual failure was the radiator. After a 50/50 haggle with Triumph USA I got half the cost back and no problems since then. 

Last Edit: 08 April, 2021, 01:09:32 AM by ZuluTiger

Offline alister667

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2021, 09:02:57 AM
Thanks for the list, I was aware of a couple of them, but it's nice to have someone else confirm what I was thinking, and suggest a few more things I might have overlooked. Cheers!

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #4 on: 08 April, 2021, 10:28:17 AM
 :405: Alister667,
a couple of other things worth considering.. front mudguard extender (Bluebird engineering on ebay is 1 many rate) & rad/cooler guard (avoid the R&G one, its a pig to fit IMHO.. Beowulf is a good make).. and Speed triple mirrors, arms are longer so you can actually see behind you not just your shoulders.. :033:
May be worth checking what map you have installed too via TuneEcu.

are they aftermarket hand guards??
 :031:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Offline alister667

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2021, 01:34:43 PM
I was told they are KTM handguards. Also was told the mirrors are extended. A front fender extender and rad / oil cooler guards are definitely on the shopping list, once the financial storm this purchase has thrown me into calms down a little  :015: I'm going to have to do a little research into TuneEcu, but it's definitely something I'm interested in. Thanks for the ideas.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #6 on: 09 April, 2021, 03:30:17 PM
 :401: Looks very smart  :028: Those handguards look just like mine, from KTM (they fit pretty well, and are miles cheaper than Triumph ones).

A first mod might be to get rid of all that awful loose grey stuff on your drive and lay a stone path (your leg muscles will thank you later).

Online tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #7 on: 09 April, 2021, 05:01:02 PM
 :401:
Already a few usefull mods but definitely a front mudguard extender,
stock screen caused buffeting for me, lifting the screen off the cowl, not convinced and depending how high you go puts the screws at a cock eyed angle,
for me MRA with a wing solved all buffeting issues,

Offline alister667

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 09 April, 2021, 06:50:46 PM
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
:401: Looks very smart  :028: Those handguards look just like mine, from KTM (they fit pretty well, and are miles cheaper than Triumph ones).

A first mod might be to get rid of all that awful loose grey stuff on your drive and lay a stone path (your leg muscles will thank you later).

Ha, not my drive! That belongs to the guy I got it off.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Reply #9 on: 09 April, 2021, 07:16:46 PM
*Originally Posted by tiggersteve [+]
:401:
Already a few usefull mods but definitely a front mudguard extender,
stock screen caused buffeting for me, lifting the screen off the cowl, not convinced and depending how high you go puts the screws at a cock eyed angle,
for me MRA with a wing solved all buffeting issues,

There are a few options to raise the screen, the cockeyed screw option being the poorest example and nothing I'd recommend. I made an adjustable setup similar to the Palmer using A-size Ram arms and bracketry and it was a game-changer. Mine was lifted by 80mm, the cowl reinforced as well as the screen and it can be removed with 4 thumb screws for cleaning.

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,29951.0.html

The link above is to an old topic and I've cleaned up the braces a little since then, also removed the GoPro mount. It's going strong 7 years later!
Last Edit: 09 April, 2021, 07:28:11 PM by ZuluTiger

reconstruction