Author Topic: Heated Grip Advice  (Read 378 times)

Offline Magiczulu

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Heated Grip Advice
on: 06 April, 2021, 05:39:47 PM
Looking for a little advice from some of the more experienced on here pls.

Ive got a 2017 1050 Tiger sport and went out for the first ride of the year this morning. All great but my Triumph heated grips packed up with button refusing to respond, Button flashes  as part of the ignition sequence but can't be activated manually. I only bought the bike last August so not had much use for heated grips although I did notice that the push had to be very firm (compared to what was required on my 800).

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what the fault might be?

Please don't blind me with technicalities as I have little aptitude in that area  :-)

Online mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Re: Heated Grip Advice
Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2021, 06:58:58 PM
The heated grip selector/switch/button failed in the same way on my 2017 Sport. The housing was cracked at the back near the mounting screw holes causing water damage.
Triumph centerstand/engine guards/heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack/DLM36 panniers, SR6404 top rack with M9B plate, WL901/DLM30/V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, Pyramid ExtendaFenda/hugger extension, Puig touring Screen & spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount, Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Micks 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini3 volt/temp/time & LED blinkers

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Reply #2 on: 06 April, 2021, 07:07:39 PM
yep, heard of a couple of switch failures now.  44 for a new un, ouch
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2021, 10:37:52 PM
Was going to say - check the fuse with a meter. There is one fuse just for the heated grips - your owners manual should show it. But you say you're getting the ignition-on flash on the switch itself, so that must be OK.

So could be the switch, or a bad connector between that and the relay (under the nosecone). if not competent with electrics, best thing is a bike electrician or auto electrician. Or just take a chance and try a new switch.
Last Edit: 07 April, 2021, 10:41:46 PM by Paullie

Offline Magiczulu

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 08 April, 2021, 01:14:54 PM
Thanks for taking time to post comments - am inclined to think it's a problem with the switch itself so aiming to have a good 'play' with that later and then will move on with other ideas once Ive had a good look.

Offline Magiczulu

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2021, 04:01:02 PM
Problem sorted - at least for now. Discovered a crack from mounting screw - looks like someone had tried to force open the unit a bit too enthusiastically!!!!. So, now dried out, touch of contact cleaner and then re-closed with a wrap of fusing tape around the seal. All working perfectly. We'll see how long it lasts before a new switch unit is needed!! Again, thanks for comments esp mustangpilot who mentioned a crack. :-)

reconstruction