Author Topic: NO START, dead bike, assistance  (Read 4408 times)

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Suwanee, GA
Re: NO START, dead bike, assistance
Reply #30 on: 10 April, 2021, 02:54:43 AM
I'm not offering an alternative to an OEM connector - which is not sealed. Just my opinion. You have yours. The user can choose whatever they like. My experience is as stated. More protection is always good protection, for sure.

PS. Please relate your experience if it supports an actual situation. I've used Posi in water, in an open salty wind stream, immersed in fuel as a connector to a 12VDC fuel sender, in 220VAC situations, 120VAC, 125VDC and in both low and high current situations. My enthusiasm is based on experience. I'm not attempting to compete with an alternative 'perfect' situation, just offering a realistic approach as I've experienced it. IMHO. I agree that you may disagree. I still stick to my observed results and note that so-called sealed connectors are moisture traps.

My advice (totally subjective) is to use them in place of almost anything else out there in the aftermarket.           
Last Edit: 10 April, 2021, 03:08:27 AM by ZuluTiger

Offline Zevk

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE 2012
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Reply #31 on: 10 April, 2021, 04:48:34 AM
Just returned from a 1 hr test ride

I dared not stop the engine till I got home to my garage... I really tried to get the engine as hot and spirited riding as possible but temps today in Melbourne are around 20c so not very hot at all

Anyway, got home, stopped the engine, restarted no problem

Again attempted to fault the wiring with side to side turn of steering as in past and all working well

I hope I have resolved this issue but if not at least I now have a plan of action....

Thanks for all the advice  :047:

RV90, XL250, XL500, GSX750ES, CB750SC, VT750, ST1300A...took a while...2012 Tiger 1050SE

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Reply #32 on: 10 April, 2021, 07:40:39 AM
Love Posi-taps/locks.  One of my local bike accessory shops sells the whole range. They do seem expensive at first, think I ended up spending £15 on a selection last time I was there. Its no coincidence that top companys like Denali supply them with their light kits now
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #33 on: 10 April, 2021, 11:39:01 AM
*Originally Posted by Zevk [+]
Just returned from a 1 hr test ride

I dared not stop the engine till I got home to my garage... I really tried to get the engine as hot and spirited riding as possible but temps today in Melbourne are around 20c so not very hot at all

Anyway, got home, stopped the engine, restarted no problem

Again attempted to fault the wiring with side to side turn of steering as in past and all working well

I hope I have resolved this issue but if not at least I now have a plan of action....

Thanks for all the advice  :047:
On the heat issue (which of course is going to be a bigger problem with you down under than here), my TS' assembly of wiring connectors just below the tank on the right-hand side have, after lots of moving around and additions/changes made, spread out a bit and have tendency to actually rest on top of the cylinder head!  :156:

They were like this when I bought the bike, and admittedly it doesn't seem a huge issue here in the UK. But if you're facing temps of up to 40 C plus the engine temperature, then I guess excessive heat on/around these connectors could become a problem. I make a rule of strapping up all these wires and connectors up from the cylinder head whenever I finish doing something. I could probably not bother, but prefer not to take the chance (central London traffic queues can get bad in August, with the added hazard of no movement for minutes at a time).

Offline Zevk

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #34 on: 10 April, 2021, 10:35:04 PM
I agree with you Paulie, the connectors were not secured with zip ties so i added a few to keep them up and off the engine head and closer to the right side of the frame

I think my tiger connectors are not as good as the Honda’s I have owned and worked on In the past as this may be the weak link of the bike....

Hope it doesn’t happen again

RV90, XL250, XL500, GSX750ES, CB750SC, VT750, ST1300A...took a while...2012 Tiger 1050SE

Offline toowheels

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Western Sydney
Reply #35 on: 11 April, 2021, 07:49:47 AM
If the repair shop you went to was a Triumph dealer, you should make Triumph Australia aware of the shabby treatment you got.

The Triumph Australia website https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com.au/inside-triumph/contact-us states...

At Triumph, we believe that our dealers are the heroes, with the expertise and facilities to best satisfy your expectations.

However, we enjoy hearing from you too, so if you do need to get in touch, contact us using the details below :

email: info@triumphmotorcycles.com.au

And don't forget to find us on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/triumphaus

| 2007 Tiger 1050, no ABS, no CAT, no SAI | Delkevic 450mm exhaust | JBQ shifter | Centrestand | Teknik fork springs & modified shims | 25mm lowering plates | Bluebird Fender Extender | Ventura rack | Penrite MC-4ST 15W-50 | Mobil 1 M1MC-134 filter | Michelin Road 5 tyres |

Offline Zevk

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #36 on: 11 April, 2021, 11:04:19 AM
Hi toowheels

I have given it some thought and although I agree with you that triumph must be made aware of my experience, I won’t write a letter of complaint, as I know it will be cut down with a sharp sickle, playing  The blame game and the “tall poppy syndrome” that is very common here in australia that I know better than them (which by the way, I do) etc.... 

The reason they gave me as to why they refused to go any further with the repair and fault finding was that:

“The customer added fog lights, horn voltmeter and phone charger and these need to be disconnected prior to trouble shooting the starting system”  :084:

I am not the only rider that has performed these modifications and they have nothing to do with the ignition, as they are all feeding off an automotive “fused relay fuse box”

they just wanted the problem to be someone else’s....and return to the easy daily routine of tyres oil and air filters.... :191:

What they don’t know, is, many moons ago, I was once a young motorcycle mechanic just out of the army , age 21 working at “Culver City honda” dealership in Los Angeles and have decent mechanical and diagnostic skills.

Life goes on and not worth the effort, but thank you anyway for the email contacts

Last Edit: 11 April, 2021, 11:09:02 AM by Zevk

Offline Boris

• Tiger Member
  • City / Town: NJ
Reply #37 on: 30 May, 2021, 02:46:51 PM
*Originally Posted by toowheels [+]
Hi Zevk, sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm not an automotive electrician but I do electronics and a fair amount of wiring so here's my 2-cents worth.

On my 2007 the ignition switch harness is tied to the switch mounting to provide some strain relief, like this photo, so it's unlikely that the wire is broken inside the switch. More likely to be where the cable tie is or somewhere the cables rub against something.

Just for future internet search purposes, it *can* happen. There is a little wire guide with a zip tie inside that housing, and if there's not enough slack on the inner zip tie, it can wear through the wire.

Offline Rexani

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Gent
Reply #38 on: 08 September, 2021, 02:36:16 PM
Soo, had the same issue, created my own thread and commented how I did most of the things to repair the starter switch wiring.
https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,42340.msg467963.html#msg467963 in case someone doesn't find mine, but finds this one

Offline Zevk

• Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #39 on: 30 October, 2021, 04:55:35 AM
Went for a ride this morning, after 2 km the SAME problem again! Dead display, dead bike!

Managed to get back home by jiggling the ignition wires every time the bike died… :006:

Traced the disconnect to the BROWN WIRE PIN ON THE  FEMALE side of the ignition connector plug

I really did not want to unpin the connector as it’s very fiddly and fear of breaking the pins

Although I do have posi lock connectors, I decided best to jump the disconnect with another brown  wire that is permanently soldered in place  :152:

So even if I were to replace the ignition switch with included harness, it would not solve my problem as the disconnect was on the female side of the plug leading to the ECU

If the other wires and pins fail I will be forced to refit the connector plug with an aftermarket one, or just permanently solder the wires together as I don’t need to access unless replacing switch…

I applied amalgamated tape then electrical tape over the exposed wires… hope all better now
Photos below:

Last Edit: 30 October, 2021, 05:32:46 AM by Zevk