Author Topic: 3-days to North East Victoria  (Read 740 times)

Offline Anthraxx66

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Morwell
3-days to North East Victoria
on: 21 March, 2021, 02:50:48 AM
I have now been back at work for 4 days, the longest  4 days, since I returned from my ride to Mount Beauty in North East Victoria. My ride ended up being 3 days in duration, a total of 1,440km, totalling 18 hrs of riding, 5.7l/100km average fuel consumption, average speed 79km/h.... warmest temp approx 33 degrees C, coldest temp around 5 - 7 degrees C and 1 cut/split in the new front tyre due to unknown circumstances.

Day 1

The Friday dawned and I was up early as I was keen to set off quickly, however my usual dawdling meant I left an hour and a half late! I had planned plenty of fuel/rest stops so made up most of the time by riding further between stops. Unfortunately the day also  saw my progress hampered by a significant amount of traffic, however the Biking and Weather Gods looked favourably on my progress and I arrived at my destination about 40 minutes later than planned.

The route I had planned followed mostly back roads from my home town of Morwell through West Gippsland then north from Warragul through the excellent roads through Powelltown to Yarra Junction and on to my first fuel stop at Yarra Glen. At this point I might say that my idea of a bike trip is to get on the bike and ride, stopping only for fuel or toilet stops and only for food if I’m really hungry.

From Yarra Glen I proceeded up the Melba Hwy (bad choice due to traffic) on to Yea, then across Lake Eildon and on to Mansfield. From Mansfield I planned to head across the Tolmie-Whitfield Road as I had heard a lot of how fun this road was to ride and I was not disappointed. A few years back some bright spark was charged with dumping oil on sections of this road in some perverted attempt to slow bikers down. Apparently he was annoyed with the number of bikes charging up and down the road so decided to take matters into his own hands, thankfully he was done for it and the road is now safe to use again. This played on my mind so I did not hook-in too hard… PLUS there is enough warning signs about Deer, Roos and Wombats crossing the road to encourage one to take a bit of caution.

While this area is an amazing part of Victoria, the rest of the trip was peppered with a few straight roads, a couple of misguided google map directions and a call from one of my customers (he recently purchased a KLX230R for his son and was picking it up on the following day). Except for the Tawonga Gap Road… what a lovely piece of road!

Day 2

Saturday saw me up early and on the road by 7am (I had to wait until 7am so it was light enough to keep the Roos and Deer away… mostly!) An hour later I was fuelling up and having some brekkie and then off to cross the Bethanga Bridge at Lake Hume. The idea was to ride the Great River Rd, which I last travelled a few years ago, however about 30km in I was getting a bit bored and decided on heading up the Granya Gap Rd… I’m glad I did. This 17km of road is the most excellent fun, the road surface in great nick and VERY little in the way of traffic.

From their  it was on to the Dartmouth Dam by way of the famed Omeo Hwy. This section of the Omeo, does not give the unwary rider ANY indication of the maelstrom which lies further to the south, but I’ll touch on that later. Roads were in great nick and were travelled at very nice speeds as there was no traffic at all. I nearly missed the turn to the Dartmouth, but managed to pull up in time, then head off up that short stretch of road. Big signs were alerting me to the fact that the CFA (Country Fire Authority) were going to be doing some burning off and there would be delays and while I saw some Fire Trucks on the way to the Dam, I would not be held up until my return.

On getting to the dam I was no prepared for the enormity of it and I spent some time there marvelling at the work which would’ve gone into the creation of the infrastructure, especially for something so remote. It was when I returned to the bike that I saw a 2-inch gash in my front tyre. Given the lack of people in this location and lack of phone signal I was quite concerned and begun making plans to get to the closest bike shop (Blacklocks in Albury?) to get them to check it. I’m sure the offending gash occurred when I ventured onto a short section of very rocky dirt roads, but could not be sure. In any case, the tyre was still up, the gash did not seem too deep, and no other option, so I just headed back the way I came… a little gingerly at first… then threw caution to the wind as the bike/front tyre felt great.  Then came Lockharts Gap Road… another VERY fun piece of blacktop. Surface good, next to no traffic and some great twisties and sweepers… and no sign of the rain which was due. What more can you ask for?

I was back at the motel by 3:30pm and pretty shagged. A long shower, followed by some TV and planning for tomorrow’s ride home and I was out the door for some Pizza. At this point I must give a shout out to the team at the “Snow Gum Motel” in Mt Beauty. Nice facility, beautiful surrounds, close walking distance to restaurants and Pubs/Bistros, and very clean rooms. Given my day’s riding on the following day, I packed everything after eating a bloody awesome pizza and had my wet riding gear ready for the day of riding in the rain…

Day 3

Up early and had all my gear on the bike by 7am in readiness for the 6.5hr/490km ride home. Thankfully all the rain and most of the winds had died down but given my route it was going to be a miracle if I did not spike a tyre.

I was at the Tallangatta Bakery by 8am and had a very nice brekkie consisting of an egg and bacon roll, hot chocolate and bottle of water. I was a little nervous about the Omeo Hwy due to it’s remoteness and the bad weather we had the previous night. So far, and for the rest of the trip home, I missed the rain and wet roads, but had some strong winds and quite cold temperatures, particularly cold for not having winter gear on.

I’m not sure how to describe the Omeo Hwy, but it is approx. 95km of 25, 30, 35km/h corners. It heads up into the snowline and winds along the picturesque Rivers in the area. Left, Right, Left, Right, hard on the brake, hard on the throttle, Left, Right, Brakes, throttle…. And on it goes for 95+km… and throwing in leave litter, branches, twigs and other crap on the road… by the time I hit Omeo I was knackered and looking forward to a snack and another hot chocolate…. Rest assured, I took my time in Omeo.

The Omeo Hwy to Bruthen sailed along nicely and is an awesome piece of road which has recovered well after the fires of 2020. Big sweepers and little traffic… but by this time I was not being timid with the throttle and hooked-in. I stopped in at Bairnsdale about an hour later, this time just for a drink and 10 minute walk around as I was starting to get weary.

Bairnsdale to Stratford was next and the most boring piece of Highway this side of the Hume Freeway… At Stratty I normally turn off towards Maffra and ride through the farmland to the small town of Maffra. It’s a picturesque town and a nice place to stop… park on the side of the main street and a quick walk and bottle of water, then off home. Again taking the back roads through towns like Cowwarr, Glengarry and Tyers, and then Home. I was done! Unpacked my gear, lube the chain and some much needed food and liquid.

This was the biggest solo ride I’d completed. Because i spend all day at work talking to people I joked to our team that I was going solo because it was a chance to not talk to anyone for 3 days... but it WAS something I was looking forward to.

So that's the ride... I've got some video I'll upload to youtube and link to this post (or elsewhere) at some stage in the near future. I hope you enjoyed this read.
2009 White Tiger 1050 ABS, TOR can, Komy LEDS, SW Motech rear rack

Online tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Re: 3-days to North East Victoria
Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2021, 09:33:39 AM
 :028:

First proper write up of the year,
fingers crossed the first of many

:031:

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2021, 02:47:29 PM
*Originally Posted by tiggersteve [+]
:028:

First proper write up of the year,
fingers crossed the first of many

:031:

:0461:  Really well done. Great pictures. Beautiful country.  Thanks for sharing.  :031:

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2021, 03:15:07 PM
Well done, a great write up Anthraxx  :152:
Great photos, thanks for sharing your piece of Australia with us.  :031:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2021, 03:26:06 PM
Brill ride, thanks for sharing.  :028:
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2021, 09:39:16 AM
Fabulous - many thanks for sharing!
Still trying to figure out how you managed to get a BMW logo reflected in your visor  :084:
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Anthraxx66

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 27 March, 2021, 01:44:47 AM
*Originally Posted by Dusty ST [+]
Fabulous - many thanks for sharing!
Still trying to figure out how you managed to get a BMW logo reflected in your visor  :084:

:084: very easy explanation Dusty... I used to work for a BMW dealership, got 50% discount on the price of riderwear and could not find another helmet to fit my bonce... the lid is BMW Street X and the logo is inside the helmet! :028:

Offline Anthraxx66

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: 27 March, 2021, 09:21:16 PM
Here's some raw footage direct from the GoPro - North section of the Omeo Hwy, heading south from Mitta Mitta

https://youtu.be/BEEvr5sVaBU
Last Edit: 27 March, 2021, 09:23:05 PM by Anthraxx66

Offline bluelw22

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2019 1050 sport tiger
  • City / Town: maffra vic
Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2021, 01:24:44 PM
Thanx for the post bloke always nice to see others views, and on some of my favourite roads, had a spin up the Omeo myself 16th-17 march, usually stay in Albury ,look me up next trip, if im available ill show you the best way to do the transit from before bairnsdale heading south west

Offline Anthraxx66

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2021, 02:37:22 AM
And here's a brief video I put together.... enjoy

https://youtu.be/j4jSwWBOXBU