Author Topic: Sat Nav mount  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Fourbears

• Tiger Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Norwich
Sat Nav mount
on: 02 March, 2021, 12:38:34 PM
I have been looking for a sat nav mount similar to the Navihalter, which at almost 100 plus import duties no doubt, is just way too expensive. There do not seem to be any alternatives so I was wondering if anyone has made their own and what did you mount it too? I was thinking of making my own and somehow use the fairing/instrument mounts so that I do not put any strain on the nose cone. Anyone done this at all and, if so, any pictures?

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: Sat Nav mount
Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2021, 01:26:58 PM
What satnav do you have? i am sure that Palmer products do one that fits their screen bracket also may be worth a read of this thread
https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,40257.30.html
also this one as there is a link to the drg of the navihalter attached so you can make it yerself..
https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,37597.msg420831.html#msg420831

good luck..  :031:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Offline Heathcliff59

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Addlestone
Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2021, 08:05:51 PM
I have ordered the Free spirits one which is taking ages to come from Italy. I am sure it is coming by an Italian taxi because at 159 it makes your hundred pound mount look reasonable.

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2021, 08:26:53 PM
The Free Spirit mount looks pretty neat, along with some of their other stuff  :062:
Not sure what moving the sat nav up/down with the screen will be like, and accommodating the movement in the wiring might be tricky without a loop of wire.
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Heathcliff59

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Addlestone
Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2021, 12:13:16 PM
I watched a guy demonstrate it on YouTube and it moves and works well. You just have to allow for it in the wiring

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2021, 12:38:38 PM
Yep, I watched the vid  :028:.
It seems like a fair bit of weight to be on the end of an arm that's not really clamped down as it slides with the screen.
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Parky1962

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Co Durham
Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2021, 11:22:20 AM
I know this thread is over a year old, but I was reading the forum and noticed it so I thought I'd share what I did.

I liked the look of the Navihalter, but there's no way it's worth a hundred quid, so I set about making my own. I wanted a sat nav to be above my clocks, behind the screen and initially I was going to simply use an old Samsung Galaxy phone with no sim card, running some free sat nav program I'd found on the web. I figured that if some thief stole it while I wasn't looking all he'd get was a phone 3 versions old with no sim card in it.

I fashioned a simple but effective bracket, bent at the correct angle to slide over the clocks and under the nosecone, the screen was at the same angle as the clocks so good for viewing. A bent locking plate fixed it all to the nosecone and adhesive rubber strips on all the metal/plastic meeting points protected it all. If you look carefully at the navihalter mount they have very closely copied mine  :164: but they went for the option of an adjustable viewing angle, I didn't need that. I used the AMPS fixing centres so later on I could easily upgrade to  aTomTom Rider (which I've now done, but hate it, painted it black and it's been in place over a year and gives great visibility with no vibration at all.

Some pics:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #7 on: 04 May, 2021, 11:49:12 AM
Interesting! Looks just like my Navihalter bracket!  :164: Which I was very happy with to host my Garmin 3** GPS, but since I upgraded to a bigger and significantly heavier 5** version, does seem to flex around a bit on the bumps.

reconstruction