Author Topic: Shock top mount.  (Read 1538 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

#20

Online Puccio

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 306
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: Cingoli
  • Country: it
Re: Shock top mount.
Reply #20 on: 07 March, 2021, 08:14:20 PM
*Originally Posted by apw99 [+]
Has anyone else come by anything like this? The bike has 18Kkm on it.

Yes, I found some fretting marks too.


#21

Online ZuluTiger

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Posts: 2638
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
  • Country: us
Re: Shock top mount.
Reply #21 on: 08 March, 2021, 12:07:41 AM
See? the old symmetrical 1050 has its advantages. Maybe many. I'd want nothing to do with a SSA based on what I've read on this forum over the last 10 years. Seems like a cosmetic change with poor engineering. And ugly... I know, I'll get killed, but one side is pretty, the other is a bulging pudding bowl. Hideous.

#22

Online Timbox

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Posts: 4389
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
  • Country: gb
Re: Shock top mount.
Reply #22 on: 08 March, 2021, 06:54:43 AM
*Originally Posted by ZuluTiger [+]
See? the old symmetrical 1050 has its advantages. Maybe many. I'd want nothing to do with a SSA based on what I've read on this forum over the last 10 years. Seems like a cosmetic change with poor engineering. And ugly... I know, I'll get killed, but one side is pretty, the other is a bulging pudding bowl. Hideous.

I know what your saying but its still a feature I miss, 10 seconds to remove/replace rear wheel and no messing with chain
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

#23

Offline TCC

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1505
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
  • Country: au
Re: Shock top mount.
Reply #23 on: 08 March, 2021, 07:29:00 AM
And a breeze to change the rear sprocket. And no chance of failing to engage the rear brake torque tongue when refitting the rear wheel. Gawd knows how many Tiger 1050 owners have been close to disaster when they've done that. Most have been lucky and got away with simply wrapping the hydraulic line around the hub.

#24

Offline apw99

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 76
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport, TTR250
Re: Shock top mount.
Reply #24 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:04:07 AM
The bearing felt fine, no rough spots, nothing to be concerned about at all. I thought it was odd how the marks are only on one side of the shaft. This would seem to indicate that the shaft is not 100% true, there is a very very slight bend or irregularity in the "straightness". But I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it to be honest as everything checked out fine.

#25

Offline Dusty ST

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Posts: 546
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
  • Country: gb
Re: Shock top mount.
Reply #25 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:51:59 AM
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
I know what your saying but its still a feature I miss, 10 seconds to remove/replace rear wheel and no messing with chain

I'd agree, SSSA every time for me.
Everything is much easier when you need to remove the wheel, adjust the chain or fiddle with the brakes.
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

#26

Online Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 8766
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: gb
Re: Shock top mount.
Reply #26 on: 08 March, 2021, 09:20:08 AM
*Originally Posted by Dusty ST [+]
I'd agree, SSSA every time for me.
Everything is much easier when you need to remove the wheel, adjust the chain or fiddle with the brakes.

Same here, after 3 bikes over 22 years & 120k miles with Trumpies SSSA & never a problem, not even a bearing. Brilliant design, self aligning sprocket adjustment, what's not to like, & so easy to work on.

Oi ZT, you playing wind-ups here?  :192:
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

#27

Offline apw99

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 76
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport, TTR250
Re: Shock top mount.
Reply #27 on: 08 March, 2021, 10:50:51 AM
I have to agree, I think it is really well engineered, whatever about a few marks on a shaft. I had a Sprint as well with the same setup and it was terrific.
The brake caliper is a bit of a task to get off but no big deal.

#28

Online Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 8766
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: gb
Re: Shock top mount.
Reply #28 on: 08 March, 2021, 11:59:11 AM
*Originally Posted by apw99 [+]
I have to agree, I think it is really well engineered, whatever about a few marks on a shaft. I had a Sprint as well with the same setup and it was terrific.
The brake caliper is a bit of a task to get off but no big deal.

Got a point on brake caliper, my 3/8" extension won't go through sprocket for torqueing, I make it up with 1/4" extension & adaptors. Only top quality 1/4" bits will take that torque, I know, bust a few, didn't want to bust me best. If I could find a slim or turned down 3/8" extension that would do. The 3/8" square will go through but the dia of the bar is as the diagonal, approx 11.5mm, turned down to 10mm, would work.

Anybody found an easy way?
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

#29

Online Puccio

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 306
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: Cingoli
  • Country: it
Re: Shock top mount.
Reply #29 on: 08 March, 2021, 06:30:49 PM
I use a good 1/4" socket with an extension, nothing to write home about.