Author Topic: Metzeler Roadtec 01SE - my thoughts so far  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Anthraxx66

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Morwell
Metzeler Roadtec 01SE - my thoughts so far
on: 27 February, 2021, 12:33:29 AM
Last week I changed my Road 4's and decided to go for the Roadtec 01SE.  I'd read good things about the SE and, while not being a fan of Metzelers from my BMW selling days (I thought the Metzelers BMW put on some of their bike were ordinary), I decided to give them a try. I enjoy reading about and researching tyres and the write-ups I have read certainly made me feel that the SE's would be a good option.

The Road 4's had approximately 12-15,000 km on them. They had also squared off quite markedly on the shoulders and scalloped badly on the siping, so a comparison is useless.

I've covered approximately 200km on the Roadtec 01SE so far. This morning I went out for a brief 100km ride through some twisty roads near home - temp was about 9 degrees C when I left home. I'm always a bit apprehensive when on new tyres and take a while to get used to the different profiles (especially when coming off an older tyre) so I thought this would be a good time to try them out.... early-ish Saturday morning with little traffic on the roads.

To me these feel a lot firmer than the Road 4's, in fact when I first rode home after having them fitted I thought Stu (our mechanic) had put too much pressure in them. Having a parent/teacher meeting that evening I didn't have time to check them, and just rode straight home. When I did check pressure he had them bang on my preferred 36/42. The SE's are not uncomfortably harder, just noticeably so and will take a little time to get used to.

Grip? So far, the tyres have felt great, even this early on. The front tyre seems to have great grip under braking and does not move around much at all under braking. I've always felt the Road 4's move around a little bit when warm and the SE's feel like there's a lot more grip in that sense. The SE's have, so far, given me a lot of confidence when cornering. In fact a few times this morning I was really surprised by how much corner speed I was carrying and had to remind my self to slow down. I was surprised by this because, I normally take some time to "warm up" to a new set of tyres and these have felt great right from the outset.

I have a 1500km ride planned for 2 weeks time and I'm definitely keen to see how they perform with a bit of luggage over some of Victoria's best motorcycling roads. In some ways I hope I see some rain in my trip, so I can see how they perform in the wet.... but then again  :110:

So, there's my 2-bobs worth. Take this as my opinion only. Am I happy with my purchase? You bet! Am I a Metzeler convert? Not yet... Let's see how they fare in another 5000km.  :031:

2009 White Tiger 1050 ABS, TOR can, Komy LEDS, SW Motech rear rack

Offline RichyB

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Droitwich
Re: Metzeler Roadtec 01SE - my thoughts so far
Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2021, 11:55:54 AM
Just happened across this... I put Mez 01SE tyres on my old Tiger before it went, probably went with less than a thousand miles on them. I really liked them, a nice feel to them. My new Tiger has the Pirelli Angels, they seem OK but I will be tempted by the Metzelers when it is replacement time. Interesting comment in this months Bike magazine where I think its Neeves says that the tyres provided by the brands (like Pirelli) as new equipment on new bikes aren't necessarily the same compound as the after market ones, as these OEM tyres are made to a price. I hadn't really looked at it like that before!

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2021, 12:13:50 PM
*Originally Posted by RichyB [+]
My new Tiger has the Pirelli Angels, they seem OK but I will be tempted by the Metzelers when it is replacement time.
If mine & Yellow dogs tyres are anything to go by the rear Pirelli Angel will be toast by 4500 to 5000 miles, front still has a fair bit of tread but going to change as a pair in next week or so, they were ok on the track last week but for me not very confidence inspiring in corners, especially if pressure is down a few psi  :006:

*Originally Posted by RichyB [+]
Interesting comment in this months Bike magazine where I think its Neeves says that the tyres provided by the brands (like Pirelli) as new equipment on new bikes aren't necessarily the same compound as the after market ones, as these OEM tyres are made to a price. I hadn't really looked at it like that before!
yes i read or heard that that too recently somewhere.
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 16 Sport, '21 1290SAS
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2021, 01:12:09 PM
I was also impressed with the Angels initially. Changed before 5K with plenty of tread left because the front was all over the place.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #4 on: 08 June, 2021, 02:11:45 PM
It's a poor show when the tyres are worse than me, but the Angel ST's were easily as bad as BT021's. I fitted PR4's got near 12k miles out of them, down to the pips together, so impressed I replaced with same, these are near toast at 7k miles almost at pips together, what's that about then, 12k - 7k?

My other trumpie the T800 came with Metz Tourance Next's they were ok at first but front went awol with every irregularity in the road & rear went square, just couldn't wear um out, at 10.5k miles I binned um for a pair of Metz R01's (pre SE) after 50 miles, I was playing nicely, give confidence, can't say about longevity they've only done 3.5k miles to date. Think the TS will be getting the Metz R01SE's, soon.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
Reply #5 on: 07 September, 2021, 05:07:02 PM
That's it with the PR4's, the front has now gone a very strange shape, like a pointy bit at at 1'oclock position looking from the left side. Still a bit on the back, but daren't trust them now, 7,900 miles, 4k less than the first set of PR4's, I don't get that.

Ordered up a set of Metz Roadtec 01 SE's, should be fitted Thursday all being well. They work well on my T800 4k up to now & still looking good, so hopefully work well on my TS also.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2021, 05:23:35 PM
New hoops always feel better than old'ns but don't remember having so much fun on the TS, all fitted by 10.30am & me off into the hills for some running in, that didn't last long. Fish & chips at Matlock bath, ice cream at Tagg lane & a drowning for me last 3 miles home. Total 107 miles of a great fun ride. Twer like avin a new young bird, all tight & firm.

Offline RichyB

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Droitwich
Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2021, 03:27:39 PM
I noticed earlier as I was applying oil to the chain, that my OE Pirelli Angels have a 'made in China' moniker on them. Call me naive, but I did think that the Pirellis would be made in Europe... :003:

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #8 on: 28 October, 2021, 03:07:46 AM
Great to hear from you Anthraxx66, it's been a while. Nice to see an old timer still around.

Looking forward to future reports.
Support the forum.   :031: