Author Topic: Puncture options  (Read 504 times)

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Puncture options
on: 17 February, 2021, 02:09:26 PM
I've never used any, but always carry a kit. I've had one blowout, the rest were all slow punctures.

Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Re: Puncture options
Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:06:09 PM
I also did the same, used the kit once for a buddy with a blown tire to just get us home. Since the plug still left slow leak could not be a permeant fix. But to limp home it worked.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:13:25 PM
I've used the rope plugs on all sorts of vehicles including my bikes. I'd only use them for a clean circular puncture on a high-performance bike otherwise the internal patch would be my choice. I wouldn't attempt to patch any sort of tear. Some shops will not do any repair to a bike tire based on liability (in the US) I guess. I personally think they are an excellent solution in a pinch and easy to use if you have the basic tools along with you. Inflation is a bigger challenge and if the tire was ridden deflated it'll likely be damaged. If I found a slow leak at home after the bike had been standing I'd definitely make the repair if it was a small, clean intrusion. It pays to coat the plug with rubber cement as directed.

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:21:54 PM
Interesting video.
I've used the mushroom type a couple of times and never had a problem, sealed completely and didn't loose pressure till I got the tyre replaced, a week or so later.
The mushrooms just seem to be a better thing to use than a piece of sticky string.

The only problem I had was when the CO2 cartridge adaptor burst on the first cartridge - lucky one of the other riders had a spare, but we only had 4 cartridges left which gives around 20psi just about enough to ride on to a filling station.
So I now carry a 12V compressor!

17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2021, 01:15:43 AM
Repairs out on the road are really only intended as a means of getting you to a service statio. The only repair that properly retains the full integrity of the tyre is Tip Tops mini combi system.

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2021, 05:44:51 PM
I have close to 500k miles done, mostly in desolate areas where you better be self reliant. I've had over 40 flats in that time, including on the Whitestone bridge in NYC and on a 140 mile long dirt logging road in New Brunswick Ca. I have found the ropes, larger SUV size, no glue or reamer, to work best. I've had as many as 5 in one hole, a slice, and have put as much as 7k miles on them, as I usually get flats in new tires, with the cord showing, with only one failure. I use a slime compressor that fits in the tray under the seat, and a $1 nippers to trim them. It takes me less than 10 minutes, beginning to end to do the repair, and I don't even get a bit upset anymore.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Reply #6 on: 18 February, 2021, 06:53:54 PM
*Originally Posted by Rhead [+]
I have close to 500k miles done, mostly in desolate areas where you better be self reliant. I've had over 40 flats in that time, including on the Whitestone bridge in NYC and on a 140 mile long dirt logging road in New Brunswick Ca. I have found the ropes, larger SUV size, no glue or reamer, to work best. I've had as many as 5 in one hole, a slice, and have put as much as 7k miles on them, as I usually get flats in new tires, with the cord showing, with only one failure. I use a slime compressor that fits in the tray under the seat, and a $1 nippers to trim them. It takes me less than 10 minutes, beginning to end to do the repair, and I don't even get a bit upset anymore.

I'll take that to the bank. I've never thrown away a tire just because it had a patch and now I never will. Thanks!

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Reply #7 on: 19 February, 2021, 05:36:18 PM
I just watched this video a few days ago.  I was pretty surprised by the results, but I respect what this guys does.  He seems to have a pretty solid approach to the questions he addresses.

I have a Stop-n-Go plug kit, which uses mushroom plugs.  I've used it a few times with no adverse results. (I did have a pretty bad leaker after the very first repair I tried.  It was a technique thing.  I repeated the repair right away and it did not leak).  That said, after seeing this I probably wouldn't spend that money again.  I'll just use sticky ropes.
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Reply #8 on: 19 February, 2021, 06:25:11 PM
I've been thinking about this video some more... if you run over a spiky thing similar to the one he used to push the plug through, I'd guess would apply far more force than he applied so would push any of the plugs out, in fact I'd say it would go through the tyre, so not really a good comparison.
Some of the other tests on F9 seem a bit flaky, like the one where he gets a 'professional thief' to cut a bike chain with an angle grinder and takes 4 1/2 minutes - the Bennetts YouTube video
does the same test, but cuts through the lock in seconds.
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Reply #9 on: 19 February, 2021, 06:49:54 PM
I just like the F9 Guy, his videos are entertaining.  last year I got a puncture down in Devon, I had the Dynaplug System on me, absolutely useless, tried for 30 minutes to plug the leak,  luckily my mate had his Bacon Strip kit on him, brilliant. Ive chucked the Dynaplug and gone with a cheapo Bacon Strip kit meself now
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS