Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 4084 times)

Offline dave_a

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Fernandina Beach

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Re: Newbie Questions
Reply #21 on: 18 August, 2021, 03:22:53 AM
*Originally Posted by dave_a [+]
Since I started this thread...
I finally rode the bike at night coming back from a flat track race. I agree with Grouchy Bastard: "I thought I was going to die!"
I had to let my buddy with the Harley lead, his lights work well. I just followed his tail lights. I think my old dirt bikes had better headlights. The PO had installed LED high and low bulbs. I hoped that was the solution. The LED's are no good, maybe worse than stock but I do not know.  I do know I was scared stiff for the 2 hours I rode.

SO - I need a quick fix...as in driving lights. Any cost effective brands out there or do I have to spend $400 for Denali's / Clearwater /etc?
I have my eye on the mounts that attach to the two lower fairing mount bolts. So the lights can't be too large in diameter. (although some 7" Flamethrowers would get it done)
Brand suggestions?
Thanks guys

FWIW.....When I went shopping for aux lights, my first choice was the Denali 2" kit. But everywhere I looked, they were on back order.  Keep in mind this was last winter.  I ended up with Cyclops adventure lights. I mounted them on the Denali bracket that attaches under the nose cone. Sounds like that's the one you're considering?   The Cyclops are three and a half inches in diameter and fit fine. 

I looked at lots of brands and options. There's a lot of cheap lights on the market, and that's what I was afraid of getting.....something cheap.

Although bigger than I originally wanted, the Cyclops were highly rated and seem really well made. The wiring loom was first rate as well. Easy to follow instructions too. 

And they work!   I'm not afraid of the dark anymore.   :046:

Offline dave_a

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #22 on: 18 August, 2021, 02:12:43 PM
Thanks GB,
What model Cyclops did you put on?

I did order the Twisted throttle mount, hoping to use it. If I buy lights that have to be mounted horizontally (due to beam pattern) it may cause some mounting challenges. Like I may have to bend the mount flat or cobb up a bracket.
D

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #23 on: 18 August, 2021, 02:45:05 PM
What you pick really must also consider load on the electrical system.  Been a while, someone figured out what our bike can pull and it's weak. (for heated riding gear)
IMO anything other than LED will be abuse to the stator.

Komy, was the gent who gave us decent discounts a long while back. Pretty sure I put his info in a sticky, wouldn't bet much it's still good. If you find it's not let me know I'll pull the info.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Reply #24 on: 19 August, 2021, 02:55:25 AM
Mine are the Optimus lights, 20 degree pattern.......I wanted wider angle to look for critters. I also ordered the dimmable harness.

While I wish they smaller  :006:,  I cannot complain about they're performance.  :028:   And since I can't see them from the seat, they don't really bother me.  :015: 

Indy...I searched for Komi lights, but unfortunately I found a whole lot of knock off, wanna be, imitations. Kind of steered me away.  :027:

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #25 on: 19 August, 2021, 03:19:08 PM
Scroll down the sticky.
He has his own line and email.  Yes that link is for him (or was) I would email him and ask if he is still the same guy we have been using for 10 years or so.
In the past, do not remember anyone complaining about the build quality and I remember two having issues and he replaced the bits.

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,16252.0.html
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline dave_a

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #26 on: 19 August, 2021, 04:12:19 PM
Komy is still around on YouTube, and he's still in the sticky. He's got some videos on scooter lights and a website.
I think one of the challenges with all low priced LEDs is beam pattern. Are they spots, floods, do they blind oncoming traffic, not to mention legal with DOT, MOT etc?
There's so much 3rd party product on Amazon it's confusing. Well if my LED headlights are any indication, I might be forced to spend some real money on auxiliary. driving lights.

Offline dave_a

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #27 on: 21 August, 2021, 01:43:50 PM
UH OH...
My auxiliary Denali light bar mount arrived from Twisted Throttle. I went to bolt it on for a trial fit.
It mounts on the two lower headlight assembly bolts.
One of the threaded inserts is spinning in the plastic "plug" that slides into the grommet (on the bracket that bolts to the headstock). 3 of 4 bolts out w/o issue of course!
Looks like I have to cut the 8mm head off the bolt to release the washer. This will free the headlight pod for bolt extraction & insert repair.
Lot of posts on fairing insert repairs, but after 2 hours of searching nothing on headlight assembly issues.
Anyone have any repair insight?
Thanks/dave_a

Offline JohnnyWheels

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Tiger SE (red)
  • City / Town: Jackson, Mississippi
Reply #28 on: 21 August, 2021, 02:32:56 PM
*Originally Posted by dave_a [+]
Since I started this thread...
I finally rode the bike at night coming back from a flat track race. I agree with Grouchy Bastard: "I thought I was going to die!"
I had to let my buddy with the Harley lead, his lights work well. I just followed his tail lights. I think my old dirt bikes had better headlights. The PO had installed LED high and low bulbs. I hoped that was the solution. The LED's are no good, maybe worse than stock but I do not know.  I do know I was scared stiff for the 2 hours I rode.

SO - I need a quick fix...as in driving lights. Any cost effective brands out there or do I have to spend $400 for Denali's / Clearwater /etc?
I have my eye on the mounts that attach to the two lower fairing mount bolts. So the lights can't be too large in diameter. (although some 7" Flamethrowers would get it done)
Brand suggestions?
Thanks guys

Search the forum for "Komy"
Low cost aux lights that are very bright. that was my fix four years ago and still working fine. Granted I don't ride much at night, but when I do they get me home safely.
I wired them with a relay triggered off the main headlamp state - when the headlamp is on low beam the aux lights are at 30%; and when the headlamp is on high beam the aux lights are on 100%.
-----------------------------------------------------
2012 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline dave_a

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #29 on: 21 August, 2021, 02:54:09 PM
Did the relay accomplish the low beam "step down" voltage?
Where did you buy that?

reconstruction