Author Topic: Dwellingup Lunch Run  (Read 679 times)

Offline Casper2020

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2013 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Cuballing
Dwellingup Lunch Run
on: 02 February, 2021, 08:43:16 AM
Hello all, this is the first of a couple of ride reports. I note that there are not many reports being posted, i assume that this is due to the fact that most of the world is in one form of lock down or another. Here in Western Australia a number of regions around Perth have just gone into a 6 day lock down. I am outside this area so not really affected apart from not being able to enter these regions. So far the COVID case numbers have not increased, the next couple of days will be telling and have a bearing on whether the lock down is cancelled on Friday or not.

A couple of weeks ago i went for a ride over to Dwellingup (approx 140k) to meet up with a mate from Rockingham. He rides a cruiser unfortunately, although i think that he may upgrade to an FJR soon, just needs to convince his chief financial officer (wife) that its a good idea.

I went via Boddington which is a small town about halfway. Boddington sits on the Hotham River. Its a tourist and mining town, Gold and Bauxite (raw material for Aluminum) are mined via the open cut methods.

Boddington Information Bay

Boddington Map and Attractions

Hotham Way Tourist Route

Bauxite Rock Information

The ride over was pretty good, there are a few twisty sections, but at this time of year you need to be looking out for large trucks carrying hay from the local farms to the exporters yards. Most of them are bloody long and when loaded they sway all over the road which wouldn't be so bad if the roads were wider.

From Boddington across to Dwellingup the road travel thru farming land then enters the state forest once you reach the Darling Scarp. The Darling Scarp is a ridge of hills that runs north south along the coast from Bindoon (north of Perth) to Pemberton (in the south west). The highest point on the scarp is 582 meters (Mt Cooke).

Dwellingup used to be a timber town, but now caters for tourists that like to camp and four wheel drive along the Murray River, not far from town. I met the mate at the Blue Wren Cafe situated in the main drag, being a week day there were not many people around, i did note a few campers buying bags of ice to take back to there camps, i hope they had good eskies to keep it in because the temp was getting up towards 36 deg C.

Blue Wren Cafe

After a couple of hours chewing the fat it was time to ride back home, i took the reverse route, stopping at Boddington for fuel and a drink of cold water, the temp at the servo being 37 deg c, bloody hot when your wearing full riding kit.

I stopped again at a place called Pumphreys Bridge for another drink, its about 30k from my joint. The main attraction is the old dilapidated original bridge over the Hotham River, there is free camping along the river so its quite popular on weekends.

Pumphreys Bridge

Left Pumphreys Bridge and rode the last few k home with out any further stops

Hope this gives some of you 5 mins of entertainment

Casper2020

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Re: Dwellingup Lunch Run
Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2021, 08:55:48 AM
Good to see someone's out and about on their bike, not so sure about 36deg though!
Thanks for sharing  :028:

I have some friends in Perth reporting they were just going into a 5 day lock down on Sunday after someone picked up the UK variant.

17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2021, 09:52:18 AM
 :460: Casper, great photos & write up of your bit of Oz :028:
wish it was a bit warmer & drier here so i dont have to spend ages getting all my gear on before riding to stay dry..
and have to keep washing all the crud off the bike thats from the road  :151:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2021, 06:51:15 PM
"Hello all, this is the first of a couple of ride reports. I note that there are not many reports being posted, i assume that this is due to the fact that most of the world is in one form of lock down or another."

Your sharp you are  :015:   :745:

Good on ya at least some are getting out and about  :028:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2021, 09:29:04 PM
I see you guys ride all togged up - makes sense for protection I guess. But if you're riding in temps of 36 C upwards, maybe 40 C, how do you cope with loss of fluids on a long trip, sweating, etc?

Do you have special inner jackets that you stick in a freezer overnight? Or some other kind of cooling jacket? Any tips and tricks to riding in hot climates would be interesting (even if it'll probably be in another life that I get to ride in such temperatures).

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
Reply #5 on: 05 February, 2021, 02:41:39 AM
 :062: Post and pictures.   Only way to make it better is more.   

Really appreciate taking the time to post this up.  :152:
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline Casper2020

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2013 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Cuballing
Reply #6 on: 05 February, 2021, 06:57:19 AM
In answer to Paulie regards riding in the heat.

Australia is a hot place in summer where I live east of Perth it is common for temps of around 40 deg C, the good thing is we donít get a lot of humidity so itís just dry heat, up north they get heat and humidity that can drive people insane.

Riding gear has come along way, I remember riding my fist bike, a Kawasaki Z500, in about 1980 dressed in jeans, boots, gloves and a Belstaff Jacket. In summer when I took my gloves off the water would run out of the jacket arms.

I have ridden across the country twice in summer, the hottest that I can remember was about 46 deg C, riding from Esperance to Ravensthorpe ( WA south coast), I thought I was going to burst into flames that day.

Protecting my body is my number 1 priority I always wear, all the gear. I wear a ventilated jacket and gloves, I wear Draggin jeans at the moment, but in the past have worn KLIM gortex pants with lots of vents in the front and rear. I wear race boots they have a little ventilation.
Gear that has good ventilation is the key, but you still get hot, the wind sucks the moisture out of your body, so you need to stay hydrated by either stopping regularly for a drink or wearing a camel back (or similar bladder device).

Hereís my tips

1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate - start the night before if you know itís going to be hot, Itís to late when you get thirsty
2. Donít eat fatty foods before or during. No egg and chips for breakfast, no hamburger for lunch. Eat fruit and salad, you will stay alert and feel less tired.
3. Avoid alcohol during the ride, heat and beer donít mix.
4. Every time I ride thru a town on a hot day I stand up, stretch all my limbs, move around as much as I can. I also open my visor to let air thru.

I am sure there are other forum members out there that live in hot climates, they might have some additional tips

Casper2020

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Reply #7 on: 05 February, 2021, 09:47:32 AM
On my last trip to the B500 in Germany we saw temperatures getting on for 40deg, as per above you need to keep knocking back the water at every opportunity.
One of the others in the group didn't and suffered headaches and feeling sick - dehydration I guess.
I remember putting my head under a tap at the end of the day, at the B&B and just glugging water, and my eyes stinging in the shower from salt from the sweat on my head.
I also remember failures in riding kit where the adhesives had melted, like the velcro strips on the cuffs of my jacket came off, and the soles of one of the others boots coming away. 
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #8 on: 05 February, 2021, 10:50:15 AM
Thanks for these hot-weather riding tips - I'm going to ask if they can be put in a sticky, as it's something we'll all have to face more of in the future, I reckon. And you guys in Oz should be the experts.  :031:

The last time I rode in these sort of temps was in 1976, when I crossed Death Valley on my little Honda CD175. I waited until 6.30 pm to start, and even then it was 115 F if I remember by the time I got to Stovepipe Wells. I was young then  :015: and all I had on was an open-face, long-sleeved cotton shirt and jeans. I remember I kept stopping to pour water on my shirt.

Lady in Stovepipe Wells said 3 guys on Harleys had come through mid-afternoon, when it had been 130 F. One guy had been riding bare-chested, he collapsed in the street with heat-stroke and had to be taken away by ambulance.

Being an old fart like I am now, I prefer to avoid really hot days. In fact I get uncomfortable in anything over 30 C, give me the ice-house anyday.