Author Topic: Moving back to Stock Pipe  (Read 574 times)

Offline Cloudy

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Gordonton
Moving back to Stock Pipe
on: 23 January, 2021, 07:09:24 PM
Hi all. I must be getting old! I have come to the conclusion that I am over having a loud bike. I have refitted the stock exhaust, so am happy there. I previously had a Low level Storm GP pipe with K&N Filter and dog bone removed running Tune 20551. It was a great set up. With the refitting of the stock pipe it still runs great but does seem pretty rich. I tried 20550 but it had a massive flat spot between 3900-4100rpm. Looking at giving Dave's tune ago but from the factory the NZ 07's never had SAI. Would unchecking the box be all thats needed? It appears when that Tune was developed Dave had the SAI blocked anyway during set up. Regards Cloudy
07 Tiger 1050, K&N Air Filter, Snorkel Removed, Stock Exhaust, 20551 Map, NGK Iridium Plugs, Ricks R/R, Ohlins Rear Shock, Ohlins Front Springs, Bar End Mirrors, Leather Seat Cover, Ebay Levers, Ebay Risers, Custom Bars.

Offline shi_bumi

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: İzmir
Re: Moving back to Stock Pipe
Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2021, 08:58:41 PM
*Originally Posted by Cloudy [+]
I tried 20550 but it had a massive flat spot between 3900-4100rpm.

The subject is a bit out of my scope actually. I have Delkevic exhaust fitted on my 18 Tiger Sport and very happy with it regarding the looks, sound and performance. I am just curious how you managed to notice that flat spot of such a tiny interval. 200rpm interval you mention and it is a micrometer twist on my throttle 😉

Offline Cloudy

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2021, 09:07:02 PM
*Originally Posted by shi_bumi [+]
The subject is a bit out of my scope actually. I have Delkevic exhaust fitted on my 18 Tiger Sport and very happy with it regarding the looks, sound and performance. I am just curious how you managed to notice that flat spot of such a tiny interval. 200rpm interval you mention and it is a micrometer twist on my throttle 😉

It happens to coincide with our open road speed limit of 100km/hr and any slight roll on of the throttle at that point cause's a big pause before it starts to get up and go.
07 Tiger 1050, K&N Air Filter, Snorkel Removed, Stock Exhaust, 20551 Map, NGK Iridium Plugs, Ricks R/R, Ohlins Rear Shock, Ohlins Front Springs, Bar End Mirrors, Leather Seat Cover, Ebay Levers, Ebay Risers, Custom Bars.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2021, 03:15:37 AM
*Originally Posted by Cloudy [+]
Hi all. I must be getting old! I have come to the conclusion that I am over having a loud bike. I have refitted the stock exhaust, so am happy there. I previously had a Low level Storm GP pipe with K&N Filter and dog bone removed running Tune 20551. It was a great set up. With the refitting of the stock pipe it still runs great but does seem pretty rich. I tried 20550 but it had a massive flat spot between 3900-4100rpm. Looking at giving Dave's tune ago but from the factory the NZ 07's never had SAI. Would unchecking the box be all thats needed? It appears when that Tune was developed Dave had the SAI blocked anyway during set up. Regards Cloudy

I went thought the same with my Micron Beta Race Exhaust and just wasn't enjoying longer rides at all  :110:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline Cloudy

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 24 January, 2021, 05:05:23 AM
Anyway, My bike doesn't like Dave's tune. Ran fine at highway speeds but bogged down a lot around town. I guess the open airbox and filter are to blame. Back to 20551 as she runs just fine on that one. Its been interesting as I seem to be a bit of a fiddler and over time have tired all sorts of tunes and just keep coming back to 20551. So that's what she will run from now on.

Offline JohnnyWheels

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Tiger SE (red)
  • City / Town: Jackson, Mississippi
Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2021, 11:21:54 PM
Yes, unchecking the SAI in TuneECU when you load Dave's tune is all you need to do. Your setup should be close to mine; stock tune, no cat, no SAI, airbox mod, K&N air filter. I dont think the K&N filter makes any difference. I may go back to a stock paper filter someday - cleaning and oiling the K&N is a bit of a pain in the ass and stock filters aren't that expensive.

I made the same change back to a stock can a few years ago for the same reason  :028:

It's interesting that your's runs rich on Dave's tune - do you have a cat?
Last Edit: 24 January, 2021, 11:23:25 PM by JohnnyWheels
-----------------------------------------------------
2012 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline Kevmax

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 1050
Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2021, 11:44:59 PM
Just installed Daves tune on my 2009 se and I have to say Im well impressed. Only mods on that side of things are k&n filter and the air box mod along with a Beowoulf end can. No snatchy throttle around town, great torque when needed and I love the sound. I have a cat and it is a little thirstier than stock but I do think its a slight richer tune anyway.  But well worth it for the results.
On a side note, try  cleaning  the k&n submersed in soda water and vanish oxi action brings mine up like new. YouTube it.  You only have to buy the oil 😉.

Offline JohnnyWheels

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Tiger SE (red)
  • City / Town: Jackson, Mississippi
Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2021, 11:54:23 PM
*Originally Posted by Kevmax [+]

On a side note, try  cleaning  the k&n submersed in soda water and vanish oxi action brings mine up like new. YouTube it.  You only have to buy the oil 😉.

Thanks for the tip! It'll be a while since I just cleaned and oiled it a month ago, but I will definitely try this next time!
-----------------------------------------------------
2012 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline Cloudy

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2021, 12:09:26 AM
It looked to be running a bit rich with 20551, not Dave's tune.No Cat or SAI. Thats why I thought I'd give it ago. Was fine out and about, but had real issue's in town moving off from not quite stopped intersections and fueling seemed rough at low speeds. Came home and reinstalled 20551 and its a different bike. Running great in town and out. IF it is a bit rich and thats making it run so well, then thats fine. A slight side not, my old girl does use a bit of oil, so while the pipe isn't wet what I'm seeing could just be from that. At any rate the way its running now is spot on.

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2021, 01:17:25 PM
Have you tried the Arrow e-marked (Road) tune? I have used this tune with the stock can and currently with a Leo Vince SBK (baffle installed). I have found it to be the best Triumph issued tune for my set up. I'm running tune #20542, SAI and CAT, L.V. can, stock air filter, and modified air box snorkle. 

For bikes like yours without the SAI and CAT the Arrow e-marked tune #20543 would be the one to try. I have found it takes a while for my 2008 Tiger to fully adapt to real world conditions with a new tune so like to give them at least 100 miles or so to see how I like them.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!