Author Topic: MOT changes re headlamps  (Read 499 times)

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
MOT changes re headlamps
on: 12 January, 2021, 08:47:58 AM
MOT inspection manual: motorcycles
Page summary:
Inspection processes and rules for motorcycle, scooter, moped and motorcycle combination (class 1 and 2 vehicle) MOT tests.

Change made:
Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment – 4.1.4 Headlamps – Compliance with requirements – Sentence changed from ‘Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.’ to ‘Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Online Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Re: MOT changes re headlamps
Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2021, 10:42:04 AM
Interesting, they've now included LED conversions as a fail, up until recently it was just HID conversions. I've linked to that same document on another forum (I posted Nov 2020 on the GSX1400 forum), shame I didn't quote it as I'd like to know what the wording was and how it was changed  :138:
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2021, 05:01:52 PM
What is the problem? Too much beam scatter, thus blinding oncoming drivers?

My old Guzzi just passed its MOT with a headlamp that dips the wrong way!  :110: (admittedly I did tape up the relevant part of the glass lens).

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2021, 10:45:56 AM
Blinding oncoming drivers will be the root of it - it always is.   All they've really done is updated the criteria to reflect the fact that it's not only badly fitted HIDs that cause it, but LEDs as well.  Just closing off a loophole.