Author Topic: High and dipped beam wires (Denali install)  (Read 886 times)

Offline hightower81

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Reading
High and dipped beam wires (Denali install)
on: 11 January, 2021, 10:13:15 PM
A lot of you are going to ask for me to be kicked off here soon I can see it!!

So after doing tons of research, finding the right lights, brackets etc, I now have a more detailed question about the sipped and high beam wires.

I know that the Denali kit comes with posi taps etc to add their wires to the right wires. However, where have people added them on their bikes? The only place I can see to add it is actually on the connector end of the wire right IN the headlights. Can anyone help me find a better place on the bike as to where they tapped their dipped and high beam wires for Denali or aux lights?

Offline hightower81

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Re: High and dipped beam wires (Denali install)
Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2021, 10:37:17 PM
*Originally Posted by hightower81 [+]
A lot of you are going to ask for me to be kicked off here soon I can see it!!

So after doing tons of research, finding the right lights, brackets etc, I now have a more detailed question about the dipped and high beam wires.

I know that the Denali kit comes with posi taps etc to add their wires to the right wires. However, where have people added them on their bikes? The only place I can see to add it is actually on the connector end of the wire right IN the headlights. Can anyone help me find a better place on the bike as to where they tapped their dipped and high beam wires for Denali or aux lights?

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2021, 12:45:03 AM

Keep in mind, I have a 2010 Tiger 1050, so I'm am not going to say that your Tiger Sport will be the same......On the right hand side just above the motor is the loom from the headlight switch.  On my TIGER 1050  the red and black wire is the high beam wire. I DO NOT know if it is the same on your TIGER SPORT.   I ran all the wiring from the lights next to the existing looms to the underseat area, where I have my Fuzeblock mounted.  I tapped that red and black wire in front of the connector to the high beam trigger wire.
I installed Cyclops lights, but I think you're situation is similar to mine.  And I just installed them yesterday. 
FWIW I found the color code in the back of my service manual.  You will want to do the same.
Hope this helps a bit.  :031:
Last Edit: 12 January, 2021, 12:47:16 AM by Grouchybastard

Offline hightower81

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2021, 01:23:38 PM
*Originally Posted by Grouchybastard [+]
Keep in mind, I have a 2010 Tiger 1050, so I'm am not going to say that your Tiger Sport will be the same......On the right hand side just above the motor is the loom from the headlight switch.  On my TIGER 1050  the red and black wire is the high beam wire. I DO NOT know if it is the same on your TIGER SPORT.   I ran all the wiring from the lights next to the existing looms to the underseat area, where I have my Fuzeblock mounted.  I tapped that red and black wire in front of the connector to the high beam trigger wire.
I installed Cyclops lights, but I think you're situation is similar to mine.  And I just installed them yesterday. 
FWIW I found the color code in the back of my service manual.  You will want to do the same.
Hope this helps a bit.  :031:

Hi Grouchy, yeah that helps massively. Am I right in thinking that the loom has all different colour wires? Solely for the purpose of knowing which wire goes where? Or am I imagining that? It seems to be the same on the later sport 1050 as well.

If that's the case then it'll be easy enough to locate using the colour of the wire thankfully

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2021, 07:57:35 PM
*Originally Posted by hightower81 [+]
Hi Grouchy, yeah that helps massively. Am I right in thinking that the loom has all different colour wires? Solely for the purpose of knowing which wire goes where? Or am I imagining that? It seems to be the same on the later sport 1050 as well.

If that's the case then it'll be easy enough to locate using the colour of the wire thankfully

Yep, that's great info from Grouchy.  I'm going to use it to rewire my Denalis so I can toggle the LED main beam with the bike's main beam. 

The wiring loom (harness) should have different colors for all the wires, or someone should be reprimanded  :006:.  As mentioned, the service manual should have a schematic with the colors for the newer SPORT.  I'd be surprised if the basic harness design and connector location changed for the Sport, but anything's possible!
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline hightower81

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2021, 08:02:08 PM
Sounds like Iím going to have my work cut out with this one then!! Lol
Last Edit: 12 January, 2021, 08:31:02 PM by hightower81

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2021, 08:34:50 PM
From memory all the main plugs are clipped to the top of the cambox
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline hightower81

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: 12 January, 2021, 09:02:44 PM
Ok, I think the part Iím more worried about is the wiring under the tank, everything else (providing the colour of the wires are all different from the loomís block) should be ok. If the colours are the same then Iím stuffed! Lol

Offline hightower81

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2021, 10:09:27 PM
So.... I have had an extensive look at the bike tonight, and I knew it wouldnít be easy!!

Looking at the bunch of wires going in to the lights, I followed the lot back until it splits off, unfortunately there does not seem to be any connection blocks, I followed it under the tank, under the seat, all the way back to the fuse box.

So I guess the question now, is do I wire the lights in to where the lights are? Or do I try and wire it in near the fuse box?

Any suggestions?

Online Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2021, 05:15:46 PM
Look for a connection block on the mini loom coming from the main/dip headlamp switch on the left-hand handlebar. There should be one somewhere under the front part of the tank I would have thought. Or it may be behind the headlamp (sorry, not going to go out into my cold damp garage to check!).

The wire colours you want are Blue/Red for dip beam, Blue/White for main beam (this from the Sport manual). But you may have to cut back a bit of the sheathing to get to them. Hope this helps.

reconstruction