Author Topic: Track riding..  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Fossil

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2018 B-Mer
  • City / Town: Newbury
Re: Track riding..
Reply #40 on: 02 September, 2021, 04:05:03 PM
Glad you boys had a great day there! What was the tuition like? Was it track or road biased, more on safety or getting quicker on track?   Iíve got my tuition day on Monday, weathers looking great Ö. So far :001:
Too old to die young!

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
Reply #41 on: 02 September, 2021, 04:24:11 PM
*Originally Posted by Fossil [+]
Glad you boys had a great day there! What was the tuition like? Was it track or road biased, more on safety or getting quicker on track?   Iíve got my tuition day on Monday, weathers looking great Ö. So far :001:

I had a different instructor to Mike. Chris, he was good, not sure how he managers to see so much in his mirrors while riding so fast but he knew who had and who hadn't hit the apexes etc. We also took turns in riding in front of Chris, he did say that we (our group) were achieving very respectable lean angles considering the wet track conditions.  :020:

The mountain section was a bit tricky for me, the rear compressed as I hit it and unloaded at the exact time I was getting on the gas at around 6k rpm which span the rear wheel up and caused it to step out. Fist time took be by surprise, 2nd and 3rd time I was expecting it but still unnerving, a higher gear wasn't the answer, not enough drive up the hill, getting on the gas a fraction later did the trick but felt wrong. A few others had the same issue, for some it wasn't a problem at all, maybe a suspension setting thing. Other than this, bike was faultless..  :028:

Instruction was geared to getting faster but smoother on track. No real mention of riding on the road, having said that, being smoother, more relaxed and knowing what the bike is "really" capable of will have a positive effect on your road riding.

:031: windy

Offline Fossil

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2018 B-Mer
  • City / Town: Newbury
Reply #42 on: 02 September, 2021, 08:34:54 PM
Thatís a great report! Thankyou ! Iím interested to see how itíll compare to mine at CC. From what I understand about the mountain ( Iíve never been there) it is very tricky to get right so you did really well in the wet and with a softer road suspension I think :046: like you say, skills you picked up will transfer to the road I imagine so win win for you!
Too old to die young!

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #43 on: 02 September, 2021, 09:13:15 PM
*Originally Posted by af1-windy [+]
I had a different instructor to Mike. Chris, he was good, not sure how he managers to see so much in his mirrors while riding so fast but he knew who had and who hadn't hit the apexes etc. We also took turns in riding in front of Chris, he did say that we (our group) were achieving very respectable lean angles considering the wet track conditions.  :020:
Mine was good too, when we had to ride in front of him he gave us 1 word which summarised how we were riding , mine was 'through' he said i was turning in just too late at the marker cones for the corners so was going through the corners so mucking up the line and missing the marker for the next corner.

Instruction was geared to getting faster but smoother on track. No real mention of riding on the road, having said that, being smoother, more relaxed and knowing what the bike is "really" capable of will have a positive effect on your road riding.

:0461: as you say it helped me see how much the bike will do with the right input from the rider, i was really happy how well it performed once i got the right line and speed, in the afternoon i was keeping up with the more experienced riders on the sportsbikes, despite being tall the TS was great fun to ride fast round the track, i touched my boots down several times on the corners  :152:
Just got to put some of it into practice on the road now.  :169:
On the mountain i found it was best in 3rd gear, keep as close to the left kerb as possible on tbe 1st corner, tip it in for the 2nd and just keep the power on as you go up to the crest of the hill, thats what worked for me anyway  :028:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2019 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #44 on: 02 September, 2021, 09:23:56 PM
*Originally Posted by Fossil [+]
Tuition and tips from all the instructors was brilliant,
Plenty of safety advice for road and track which helped you ride quicker and safer. The briefings after lunch going through tips on riding parts of the track were really useful too.
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE, 2019 Tiger Sport .... got there in the end.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #45 on: 02 September, 2021, 11:31:08 PM
My instructor was Barry. Absolute top man. I've always hated and avoided riding in wet conditions. Feel a lot more confident about it now.

Yes Af1-Windy, I was seriously losing my back wheel on the mountain and like you adjusted the throttle (after the third super-slip). The super long bend at Park / Chris was my nemesis. I almost managed to find the grass by giving it too much gas out of the bend :191:

Great day and lots of fun. A sure thing for 2022  :031:

Last Edit: 02 September, 2021, 11:47:23 PM by Yellow Dog
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #46 on: 03 September, 2021, 07:37:14 AM
Pleased you both had a good day, if we get back next year lets all get in the same group so we can have a better catch up between sessions..  :028:

YD, I love riding in the wet, especially on track, there's no drug in the world that can give you the same feeling as when you're braking hard and tipping a bike in at over 80mph in the wet..  :172: ace...  :020:

NC500 in a few weeks so I'm betting I'll get chance to further hone my wet riding skills...  :191: :008:

Last Edit: 03 September, 2021, 07:41:57 AM by af1-windy

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
Reply #47 on: 03 September, 2021, 08:11:18 AM
Pleased you both had a good day, if we get back next year lets all get in the same group so we can have a better catch up between sessions..  :028:

YD, I love riding in the wet, especially on track, there's no drug in the world that can give you the same feeling as when you're braking hard and tipping a bike in at over 80mph in the wet..  :172: ace...  :020:

NC500 in a few weeks so I'm betting I'll get chance to further hone my wet riding skills...  :191: :008:

Yes Windy, let's do that. The afternoon was sometimes spoilt by some of the really slow ones in the B Group.

Not quite on the same page as you with riding in wet conditions  :005: but certainly a lot happier leaning over after that amazing morning's training. Apparently wet roads reduce the grip by 20% and confidence by 80%  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Topic Author
Reply #48 on: 03 September, 2021, 08:23:12 AM
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
Yes Windy, let's do that. The afternoon was sometimes spoilt by some of the really slow ones in the B Group.

Not quite on the same page as you with riding in wet conditions  :005: but certainly a lot happier leaning over after that amazing morning's training. Apparently wet roads reduce the grip by 20% and confidence by 80%  :031:

I once read that we have 80% of the grip in the wet that we have in the dry and considering we don't use the 80% in the dry that should mean we don't have to slow down when it rains..  :087: :164:  Having said that (well typed) there are other things to consider on the road, mud, other spills, manhole covers etc. and the old mind thing..  :125: that's not easy to overcome..

I did a track day at Cadwell some years back on a ZX6r, scraping pegs on both sides in the rain..very clean, grippy tarmac, I was also a tad younger and and braver back then..  :001:

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
Reply #49 on: 03 September, 2021, 09:39:24 AM
I once read that we have 80% of the grip in the wet that we have in the dry and considering we don't use the 80% in the dry that should mean we don't have to slow down when it rains..  :087: :164:  Having said that (well typed) there are other things to consider on the road, mud, other spills, manhole covers etc. and the old mind thing..  :125: that's not easy to overcome..

I did a track day at Cadwell some years back on a ZX6r, scraping pegs on both sides in the rain..very clean, grippy tarmac, I was also a tad younger and and braver back then..  :001:

"Bravery" is a great word. But we use another words for it these days  :005:

I scraped my boots a few times, however saved my peds for another day  :031:

reconstruction