Author Topic: Hello newbie from Bristol  (Read 406 times)

Offline goughy5

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Bristol
Hello newbie from Bristol
on: 27 November, 2020, 09:02:26 PM
Hello everyone, newbie here from Bristol just joined, I've had a Triumph Sprint ST 955 and the Sprint ST1050 in the past then stupidly decided to go to a Suzuki V Strom for the more relaxed riding position, I've missed the triple engine thou so will be on the look out to purchase a Tiger Sport soon, I will be looking for some advice chaps  :152:

Online tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Re: Hello newbie from Bristol
Reply #1 on: 27 November, 2020, 10:46:45 PM
 :405:
Triumph have a habit of refining over the years without making a song and dance about it so buy the latest model you can
 :031:

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:09:51 AM
 :401: goughy5

Yes, I almost made the V-Strom error back in 2007. Luckily I went for an MKI Tiger 1050 instead.

The bike has been continuously evolving over the past 14 years and the latest incarnation, being >2016, has just about everything sorted.  Many of the competitive bikes in this sector are new and come with 'Warts'n'All' for the buyers to help them iron out.

I don't know how tell you are however the MKI was a perfect fit for me. The latest TS is a little shorter.

Enjoy your test rides! 
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline goughy5

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Bristol
Reply #3 on: 28 November, 2020, 01:29:36 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys.....

I'm still in the process of doing lots of reading and research, but in your opinion is it worth me paying the extra and get a >2016 bike to get the electronic rider aids, adjustable screen and cruise control? or is the previous model bike just as good? TIA  :002:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Reply #4 on: 28 November, 2020, 07:03:19 PM
I'm probably biased, but I think the TS1 from 2013 to 2015 just as good as the later one. A few differences, the 2016-on wireless (they call it ride-by-wire for some strange reason) throttle on the latest ones has a slightly more even torque band - the TS1 has a noticeable grunt hump between 3k and 4k, but as most of my riding is in that band I'm quite happy with that.

Some TS1s can supposedly suffer from over-sensitive throttle on the power also - it's true you have to be careful not to grab a fistful of throttle in traffic - I don't know if the TS2 is any better. But balancing the throttle bodies usually fixes that.

You also get little things like a power port and USB port as standard on the later ones, as well as the adjustable screen. I've fitted those to mine anyway, and like many have a non-std screen as well.

I think it's  more important if you're buying S/H to choose one which has a good past history and service record. Miles are not important - what counts is how it's been treated. You can usually tell just by looking, as the good ones will have some practical accessory touches, such as radiator protectors, fender extenders, etc.

Them's me thoughts ....

ps. With the TS1 you also get nicer colours ....  :001:
Last Edit: 28 November, 2020, 07:07:02 PM by Paullie

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Reply #5 on: 28 November, 2020, 08:18:36 PM
Quite a few members did choose to upgrade when the 16 model came out. I never owned the earlier model so my input is limited.
In 2013 I test rode a Tiger Sport and felt it was a bit meh - so I stuck with my Sprint. In 2016 I test rode a Tiger Sport and signed on the dotted line there and then. Could just have been that both I and the Sprint were a little older  :164:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2020, 09:16:20 PM
*Originally Posted by goughy5 [+]
Is the previous model bike just as good?  :002:

You should ride them both to see what you think. They are totally different bikes from a rider perspective.

On the >16 model the rider modes are a bit of a gimmick IMO however that's what is now expected these days by those who don't know how to ride. The RBW throttle is super smooth and the cruise control is a 'must have'.

However, IMO you can get a far rawer attacking ride on the 13-15 model, if that's what tyou are after. The the later >16 model is a little more controlled and you need to disable the fancy electronics to get the same rawness. Auto cancelling indicators are also a feature (>16 model) I value in avoiding worst nightmare situations.
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #7 on: 29 November, 2020, 09:10:07 PM
*Originally Posted by goughy5 [+]
Hello everyone, newbie here from Bristol just joined, I've had a Triumph Sprint ST 955 and the Sprint ST1050 in the past then stupidly decided to go to a Suzuki V Strom for the more relaxed riding position, I've missed the triple engine thou so will be on the look out to purchase a Tiger Sport soon, I will be looking for some advice chaps  :152:
:401: goughy5, guy I know also stupidly went from having both the ST955 and ST1050 to a new Tiger 900 GT and has regretted it , still has the ST1050.
There are quite a few new and nearly new low milage bikes out there at the moment.
Good luck with your search  :031:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

reconstruction