Author Topic: Front brake left town...  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Front brake left town...
Reply #10 on: 24 November, 2020, 08:43:47 AM
Reason I suggested starting at the calipers is, they may need a full strip down, so fluid change will be wasted. Only problem I've ever had with Triumph brakes is dirty calipers, I clean them every 3k miles, prevention better than cure. Needs a caliper piston tool to get a grip of them. A good clean up might get the pistons free, then move up to the master cylinder & fluid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Removal-Plier-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Repair-Tool/392795241755?epid=10038124938&hash=item5b746bbd1b:g:5awAAOSwFFZeuRhT

On tutha hand, if the problem is at the Master cyl/fluid end, fixing that makes pushing the pistons out a lot easier. Take yer choice.
Last Edit: 24 November, 2020, 08:57:57 AM by Paul2bikes
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline shi_bumi

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: İzmir
Reply #11 on: 24 November, 2020, 04:51:42 PM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Reason I suggested starting at the calipers is, they may need a full strip down, so fluid change will be wasted. Only problem I've ever had with Triumph brakes is dirty calipers, I clean them every 3k miles, prevention better than cure. Needs a caliper piston tool to get a grip of them. A good clean up might get the pistons free, then move up to the master cylinder & fluid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Removal-Plier-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Repair-Tool/392795241755?epid=10038124938&hash=item5b746bbd1b:g:5awAAOSwFFZeuRhT

On tutha hand, if the problem is at the Master cyl/fluid end, fixing that makes pushing the pistons out a lot easier. Take yer choice.

What about blowing pressurized air into the caliper through the banjo bolt hole to pop the pistons off which i have been doin for years ? Cheapier and easier...

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
Reply #12 on: 24 November, 2020, 05:06:01 PM
*Originally Posted by shi_bumi [+]
What about blowing pressurized air into the caliper through the banjo bolt hole to pop the pistons off which i have been doin for years ? Cheapier and easier...

Yes great idea, just need buy a compressor.

Offline shi_bumi

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: İzmir
Reply #13 on: 24 November, 2020, 05:16:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Yes great idea, just need buy a compressor.

Or a strong lung 😁😁😁

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Reply #14 on: 24 November, 2020, 05:25:19 PM
*Originally Posted by shi_bumi [+]
Or a strong lung 😁😁😁
ahh, Stevie Winwood, "Give me an Iron Lung" :008:
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Online tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #15 on: 24 November, 2020, 06:40:31 PM
Ok guys If there is no leak I don't see how it can be at the caliper end,
the pistons operate in separate chambers and unless I'm mistaken the only seal is to prevent fluid leaking past the piston and outside the caliper,
having no pressure and no leak indicates to me it's an internal seal at the master cyl end ???
please enlighten me

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Reply #16 on: 24 November, 2020, 07:29:10 PM
 :0461: :460:

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
Reply #17 on: 24 November, 2020, 08:41:48 PM
I didn't see any mention of a fluid leak?
During my early days of disc brakes on bikes, I experienced the lever coming back to the bars, a mechanic told me to tie the lever back to the bars & leave it overnight. Well that was BS wasn't it.
Fortunately some old boy explained how it was caused by filthy caliper pistons and in worst cases corrosion in the dust seal grooves. I set about cleaning them up and they were rock solid after. Hence I've cleaned them up every 3k on all my bikes since.

Now the OP might be suffering similar, or could be as suggested a burst master cylinder seal, I know nothing about that, never had one let go, so left that to tiggersteve.

Whichever end the OP starts at, the whole brake system needs checking out. Wouldn't you agree?

Online tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #18 on: 24 November, 2020, 10:13:46 PM
To me it's unusual to not be able to build lever pressure by pumping even when there is moisture in the system,
he says he's getting nothing from pumping so to me there is no pressure build up so master cyl for me
could be the gaitor in the top isn't seated properly and fluid has flowed into the void under the cap???
just putting ideas out there  :002:

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Reply #19 on: 24 November, 2020, 10:49:58 PM
It needs  a tear down. My only contribution is that I am convinced it is a master cylinder problem. As one squeezes the lever a seal should shut off the inflow from the reservoir (hopper)  and route fluid to the remote cylinders. My experience is that moisture from the hopper can cause corrosion in the (very complex) MC plunger which has multiple one-way seals. All it takes is a little distortion of the shaft to create the issue you describe.  If they (the slaves) are spongy or don't move (no brakes) then they are the culprit. But, a lever to the handle sounds like the non-return is faulty and fluid is just going back into the reservoir. Paul is right though. Even if the top end is the problem, you need to be sure no rust or corrosion is present in the slaves. However, presuming you'll finally service the slaves, I'd start by servicing the master and proving the source of the failure - brake fluid is cheap - and then moving on to the bottom once you are sure you have pressure applied.   
Last Edit: 24 November, 2020, 10:56:41 PM by ZuluTiger

reconstruction