Author Topic: Spotlight issue  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Tricky87

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Salisbury
Spotlight issue
on: 22 November, 2020, 01:12:56 PM
Hi guys Iím new here,
Before I start Iím pretty good with anything mechanical, wiring however, is not my strong point, I recently bought a lovely 09 1050 and couldnít complain, until the switch on the spotlights failed, it was a 4 pin latching switch that goes into a 4 pin relay. No biggie I thought Iíll just get another switch, new switch ordered and finally arrives but this one is a 5 pin LED switch, I donít think Iím a complete mong but I was under the impression that the 5 pin just allowed for N/O or N/C, didnít come with any wiring diagrams so I figured Iíll take to google and thatís when things just went terrible for me haha, I literally have about 5 different diagrams on how this thing can be wired and none of them seem to work! So I thought well maybe thereís another faulty component, Iíve checked the fuse (still good) checked continuity across the relay (good) powered the spots directly from the battery and they light up, and Iíve wired the switch so the led lights up when pressed and it does so I know the switch contacts are good, but the spots wonít come on unless they are directly powered from the battery and not the relay and switch, is anyone able to tell me if Iím doing something wrong or post a definitive wiring diagram using my current set up but like a crayola version haha because again, Iím not great with electronics and I canít for the love of me get my head round this!
Many thanks Tricky

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Spotlight issue
Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2020, 02:49:25 PM
It's difficult to diagnose without seeing any pics or diagrams. I'd be tempted to go to an automotive electrician - they'd probably find the problem in minutes.

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2020, 11:25:05 PM
I resisted this at first but now can't contain myself:

This just needs fundamental fault finding and, yes, you are a mong, sorry! Here's how it goes:

You cannot rely on LED's to tell you anything. They bleed through.  Beg, borrow or steal a multimeter and use only DC voltage. Start with the switch. One lead, the black one, grounded to the frame or a good connection to the battery negative. Start with reading 0 volts DC. Flip the switch and see +12 VDC appear at the output wire heading to the relay using the red lead.

Connect that (supposedly) good (+) to the relay. It needs to connect to the coil part of the relay marked with a (+). The (-) side of the relay needs to have a good ground / earth / negative. Never mind the spot lights, just make sure that when you close the switch, the relay goes 'click'. That proves the internal coil. When this coil energizes it closes a  contact.

Now the process moves to the relay contact. A N/O contact should have +12VDC on the incoming side. You'll have to figure out how this was done and you may find it was a fused source - voila. When you close the switch, the coil goes 'click' and closes the contact. Now you should read +12VDC at the OUTPUT side of the relay. If your wiring is good, the same (+) should appear at the INPUT (+) side of the spotlight. If it has a good (-) or a solid grounded connection, it will light up.

I guess it's a four step process: Prove the switch. Prove the relay. Prove the light. Prove the (-) at very step.

You mechanical guys are a hoot. You think electrics are simple and miss the nuances. We both have gobs of knowledge and they are not complimentary. Although, my Super Seven was a better car than my my Tool-and-Die maker friend's. Just a dig! I can run a lathe and a milling machine but I'm not going to mill a sphere FGS!

Good hunting!  :031:

Last Edit: 24 November, 2020, 11:46:18 PM by ZuluTiger

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #3 on: 25 November, 2020, 06:36:25 AM
*Originally Posted by ZuluTiger [+]
I resisted this at first but now can't contain myself:

This just needs fundamental fault finding and, yes, you are a mong, sorry! Here's how it goes:

Ctrl +C
Ctrl +V

This Mong says "Thanks"  :169:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline Tricky87

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Salisbury
Reply #4 on: 25 November, 2020, 09:13:35 AM
@ZuluTiger
Thanks for the reply, not sure you read through my initial post properly though, I have checked (with a multimeter) each of the individual components and they donít read as faulty, I am aware of the fundamentals of fault finding the problem I have is Iím not sure how the switch needs to be wired to the relay, hence the need for a clear and concise diagram, unfortunately the previous owner/s that wired in the spots didnít feel the need to colour code anything and so I have a fricking rainbow of wires going here there and everywhere ( reds connected to green, black connected to yellow with white also spliced in and a purple with black tracer for good measure! ((not exact Iím just reiterating that nothings colour coded)) Iím not saying how it was wired or anything didnít work, the lights worked perfectly when I bought the bike (albeit a little temperamental) but the switch the previous owner had fitted was originally a 4 pin switch and I have bought a 5 pin switch (with no wiring instructions) and Iím not sure how it needs to be wired!
This is where I have no idea so please do tell me where Iím going wrong, to my knowledge 30 on the relay is the input from the battery, 87 on the relay is power out and needs to go to C and + on the switch, (-) on the switch obvs just needs to go to any good ground as does 85 on the relay and 86 on the relay will go to either N/O or N/C depending on whether you want the switch to turn the spots off and switch on or spots on and switch off. Am I far off? Are the switch and the relay conflicting with each other? Im at a loss, as I said wiring and electronics are not my strongest point.
Many thanks, Tricky87

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #5 on: 25 November, 2020, 12:06:07 PM
Post some pics of the devices and I'll draw in the wiring you need to have..

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #6 on: 25 November, 2020, 10:21:55 PM
I withdraw that offer. Something is off here. You have weird hardware. You need a man with a meter who knows his business.

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Reply #7 on: 26 November, 2020, 10:50:45 AM
I'm no expert but, you say you have relay pin 87 connected to C and (+) on the switch which, I believe, is wrong. 87 should be to the lights.
Relay pins 30 and 87 are the switched high current, 85 and 86 are the low current activation for the relay

So, I'd say assuming you want to switch the lights on with the switch...
Relay:
86 is from n/o and (+) on the switch
85 is earth
30 is from the battery (+) via a fuse
87 is to the lights

Latching Switch for lights:
C is from the battery (+) via a fuse
N/O and (+) goes to 86 on the relay
(-) is earth.
N/C not used
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST