Author Topic: New bike project ....  (Read 3802 times)

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: New bike project ....
Reply #10 on: 24 November, 2020, 03:27:54 PM
Well done that man,  :047: nice easy fix now you've solved the problem, hardest bit's done.  :031: Deserve a beer.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Reply #11 on: 24 November, 2020, 06:02:20 PM
Thanks. Think I will treat myself this eve .....  :031:

Unfortunately, like always, delving deep into the innards has revealed a few other things need sorting. Wrong brackets, missing pieces, that sort of thing. Fortunately many of the spares are still available ..... mostly from Germany, surprisingly.

Online tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #12 on: 24 November, 2020, 06:42:54 PM
Don't mind saying this is the thread I am gonna be looking out for  :028:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: 02 December, 2020, 09:09:31 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. The project continues. This pic shows the current state of affairs. The ignition switch is fixed, however there were other wiring issues to sort out.

One of the biggest problems is that certain parts around the headlamp are not the right fitment, and I donít think I can get the right fitment any more. So now weíre into bodge territory (where I started), i.e. find a way to make it work.

Iím having to relearn some old skills around getting a non-standard piece to fit, which I havenít had to do since the 1970s. Only Iím a bit more demanding now than I used to be, especially when it comes to reliability.

There was a time when a breakdown on the side of the road represented a temporary holdup, and I viewed it as part of the journey. Iíve broken down on bikes in the Italian Alps, in the Badlands of South Dakota, and sorted things after a temporary delay.

But the last time I broke down (a flat tyre on my old Beemer) was on the Manchester ring road, and when huge articulated trucks are hurtling by every few seconds, then the side of the road is no place to be.

So, Iíll get there in the end. But looks like getting on the road might take longer than I thought.

Online tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Reply #14 on: 02 December, 2020, 09:31:12 PM
 :005:
stringy stuff ain't my thing  :008:

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
Reply #15 on: 02 December, 2020, 09:39:08 PM
*Originally Posted by tiggersteve [+]
:005:
stringy stuff ain't my thing  :008:

:745: Same here, it's the devils work.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #16 on: 02 December, 2020, 09:42:35 PM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
:745: Same here, it's the devils work.
Ha, I knew the sight would terrify you two ......  :001:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #17 on: 18 December, 2020, 09:42:10 PM
Well, progress! With the electrical problems fixed (at least temporarily), it was time to see if the motor would run. And run it did, starting up promptly, revving easily and quickly settling at 2,000 rpm, during which time large amounts of water vapour (seemed to be only water vapour) emerged from the two silencers.

Only problem was, 2,000 rpm was it Ė that was the idle speed. After a lot of fiddling round with mixture and throttle screws I eventually got it to settle at about 1100 rpm, anything less caused too much rocking side-to-side on the centre stand. And by this time the right-hand pipe was glowing red-hot, so it was time to stop for a while.  :003:   Oh, the joys of air-cooled motors!

The carburation was way off and clearly running way too lean, so I decided to pull the carbs. First revelation was that they were not the standard ones but Le Mans type, much bigger and, supposedly, freer breathing. carb pic to follow.

They werenít too bad inside, not gummed up as I suspected. However the float levels were set much too low, which would make the mixture lean, and explained why the mixture screws were set much richer than normal. The float needle tips were also marked (they are some kind of rubber material), so new needles are now on order.

That side of the bike under way, I started poking around underneath. All oil levels were OK apart from the gearbox which was down. After topping up I had a look at the underside -  umm, it looks like there may be a problem with the gearbox main oil seal, as thereís evidence of quite serious leakage on the casing by the centre-stand. This could prove a more difficult job, may be why the owner sold it? But Iíll put this one on hold for now.  gearbox pic to follow.

Oh and you know I fixed the ignition Ė one new ignition switch later, I threw away the old switch and the key that went with it. Em, but it seems that key was also the one that opened the petrol cap Ö  :157: Ö which means I wonít be going very far.

So two steps forward and one step back. Now have to learn about lock picking or pay a fortune to a locksmith. Maybe Iíll just continue with the carb cleaning ... fortunately the Covid-19 lockdowns seem to be continuing ....

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
Reply #18 on: 19 December, 2020, 08:23:34 AM
Getting there slowly but steadily eh m8. One of my chums is on with rebuilding his GS850, carbs are off for sonic cleaning. That bleddy ethanol. You're lucky yours weren't gummed up, his only been laid up for Covid.

Does that gearbox seal have to replaced from the inside, big job?

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #19 on: 19 December, 2020, 02:06:29 PM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Does that gearbox seal have to replaced from the inside, big job?
I'm doing what I always do in the face of suspected bad news .... trying not to think about it!  :191:

I'll check it's rideable first, get it through the MOT, get it registered, then take everything into account and decide if I'm going to keep it or flog it.

At the moment I'm relearning all about carbs again ... something I haven't had to do for 20 odd years ....
Last Edit: 19 December, 2020, 02:08:43 PM by Paullie

reconstruction