Author Topic: Dipped beam / full beam - can they all be on at once?  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Re: Dipped beam / full beam - can they all be on at once?
Reply #30 on: 16 November, 2020, 04:19:34 PM
Donít really see why it would - they are two separate reflectors about 3Ē apart, with a layer of silvered plastic in between.   That slivering will reflect infrared just as well as visible light.   Plus thereís an airflow of X mph over the housing as a whole.   I too have had a melted lens (track day, I foolishly just taped over the lights rather than pulling the cables) but that melted spot was where the focussed light was aimed - but had thick black tape to absorb the light and heat up instead.

Personally Iíd be more concerned about the electrical load than heat.  20.4A as calculated above - whats the fuse rated at, isnít that only 20A?    OK for short term load like the flash button, but if it blows, you got real problems as I think the bike wonít start if that fuse is blown or missing.  Something to check, anyway.   Donít want to be stranded at night with no lights.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Reply #31 on: 16 November, 2020, 04:54:58 PM
I'd also be nervous about melted wiring. T (like most manufacturers) are not renowned for over engineering in this area. Pretty sure one of the "fixes" for poor lighting on other models is to change the cabling.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Online T800XC

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 800XC & Explorer
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Reply #32 on: 16 November, 2020, 06:10:12 PM
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
I'd also be nervous about melted wiring. T (like most manufacturers) are not renowned for over engineering in this area. Pretty sure one of the "fixes" for poor lighting on other models is to change the cabling.
:0461:

The wiring may not have been selected / rated for all lamps to be on for prolonged periods of time. I don't have a wiring diagram to hand, but bear in mind that typically there's only one return wire to ground / 0V that will have to carry all of the current, whereas main & dip have their own 12V wires.
...If things don't alter, they'll stay as they are...

Offline naughtyG

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: Fremantle WA
Reply #33 on: 27 November, 2020, 01:27:53 AM
Well my thinking is the circuit (and fuse) can take it when the pass button is pressed, even if the manual says donít do it for too long.
Also there is provision for heated grips (15A), the powered top box (10A) and the USB plug (5A) none of which are in use on my bike, so I feel the alternator output will be fine.
Only question is, would any of the wiring heat up too much with all 4 H4s on for a prolonged amount of time.  Guess this needs some testing..

Offline Kevmax

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 1050
Reply #34 on: 27 November, 2020, 07:46:34 AM
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]

Personally Iíd be more concerned about the electrical load than heat.  20.4A as calculated above - whats the fuse rated at, isnít that only 20A?    OK for short term load like the flash button, but if it blows, you got real problems as I think the bike wonít start if that fuse is blown or missing.  Something to check, anyway.   Donít want to be stranded at night with no lights.

I agree with Mike _B.
It could work perfectly for a prolonged period of time.
There are lots of valid reasons it should or shouldnít work, but if the lights fail it will most likely be when you most need them.
For that reason I would leave it alone.
Look forward to hearing the outcome 👍

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #35 on: 28 November, 2020, 09:05:11 AM
*Originally Posted by naughtyG [+]
Well my thinking is the circuit (and fuse) can take it when the pass button is pressed, even if the manual says donít do it for too long.
Also there is provision for heated grips (15A), the powered top box (10A) and the USB plug (5A) none of which are in use on my bike, so I feel the alternator output will be fine.
Only question is, would any of the wiring heat up too much with all 4 H4s on for a prolonged amount of time.  Guess this needs some testing..

What's the strategy on airflow / cooling? Perhaps you should source a replacement set of refelctive lenses begore you start  :187: 
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline naughtyG

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #36 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:56:42 AM
:187:
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
What's the strategy on airflow / cooling? Perhaps you should source a replacement set of reflective lenses before you start  :187: 

But why? Each of the 4 bulbs has its own reflector, and is ok to be on for an extended time: the low beams are always on whenever the bike is running, unless the high beam is selected at which point the other two come on in their own enclosure.
The only thing I can see getting a bit warmer is the transparent lens, but that's getting hit by the wind whenever in motion.

Offline Kevmax

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 1050
Reply #37 on: 28 November, 2020, 01:53:08 PM
Itís been two weeks now. Have you tested it yet?

Offline naughtyG

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #38 on: 29 November, 2020, 12:48:44 AM
Iíve kept the pass button on a few times and no fuse problem, more extended testing will require some stripping so I can get to the cables to monitor temps, so not yet as short on time here!

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #39 on: 30 November, 2020, 09:48:53 AM
*Originally Posted by naughtyG [+]
Iíve kept the pass button on a few times and no fuse problem, more extended testing will require some stripping so I can get to the cables to monitor temps, so not yet as short on time here!

Having been for a recent ride to get home in darkness I'm starting to think it's a good idea you have. Particularly for the pot-hole laden country lanes I have to negotiate, which wasn't a good experience.

I was just looking to see how easy it might be to install a small extractor fan on each side as I suspect that summer riding might be a problem.

It will be good to first be certain that the OEM wiring and fuse are up to the task (whilst still considering AUX lights).
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

reconstruction