Author Topic: Mivv Suono silencer started melting my pannier, here's my solution  (Read 5366 times)

Offline Blackvisor

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 (2010 model
  • City / Town: SE Scotland
Over the 2019 to 2020 winter months I fitted a Mivv Suono low level silencer to my 2010 Tiger1050 so that I could fit a larger (from a triumph sprint) pannier to the right side.

The only problem is that on hot days of "prolonged enthusiastic riding" the underside of the pannier started to melt.

My solution was to buy a pre-formed stainless steel exhaust bend off ebay and chop it down to size. I actually bought 2, one bend at 45 degrees,m the other at 30 degrees, given they cost a whole 8 I was willing to buy both and compare. the theory behind it that was a bend would direct the not gasses away from the plastic pannier.

The "end tip" of the silencer is stainless, and it unbolts so you can insert a muffler. It was removed, and the new bent piece was welded on.

the 30 degree was the one to use. I haven't used it for a prolonged full day in midsummer heat, but so far so good. here's photos

This last photo is older, showing the silencer as standard, before new bend attached

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050,1290,now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Neat solution, be interesting to see a pic with the pannier on,
didn't have any issues with the Remus Powercone,

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
*Originally Posted by tiggersteve [+]
Neat solution, be interesting to see a pic with the pannier on,
didn't have any issues with the Remus Powercone,

Was the Remus lower? A couple of inches lower might also do the trick.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
https://cdn.img.tiger-sport.com/1523313068-49.jpg

hope this works pic is from my gallery,
Remus appears to be about 3" lower and 4" shorter,
I know there are a few guys with the same set up and Mivv Suono cans this is the first of the problem mentioned,
could be they've moved on

Offline Blackvisor

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 (2010 model
  • City / Town: SE Scotland
I used a Mivv silencer because they are still made new, despite the Tiger 1050 being out of production, Remus no longer list one, only for the Tiger sport. I had watched the 2nd hand sales for a silencer, but none came up and I was running out of time before spring and the start of the riding season. At the time the Mivv was the only one I could get.

Here's a photo with pannier off

And here's  photo with pannier on, I hope the bend I've added will divert the heat away from the underside of the pannier.

I pack my clothes in plastic bags inside my pannier as a precaution against rain getting in. At the end of a particularly long ride on one of the hottest days of the year I noticed that the plastic bag at the bottom of the pannier had melted onto my sweatshirt. Closer inspection revealed melting to the underside of the pannier.

I live in Scotland, a very hot day in the Highlands is still below 30 celcius, so I'm surprised it got that hot.

I'll only know if this fix has worked next summer, by riding in similar conditions to that day.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Keep your pies warm.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Path

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2011
  • City / Town: Worcester
Looks very good.  There is BMW guy that makes the same type part for GS riders who apparently melt their cases all the time:

https://www.excelthrottlecontrol.com/cycle-werkes

Yours looks much better in my opinion.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
*Originally Posted by Path [+]
Looks very good.  There is BMW guy that makes the same type part for GS riders who apparently melt their cases all the time:

https://www.excelthrottlecontrol.com/cycle-werkes

Yours looks much better in my opinion.

blends well with the GS Fugly as F.........  :008:

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Personally think I would have stuck some of that heat reflective material under the pannier  :  https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/cool-it-adhesive-backed-heat-barrier-245864/
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Rexani

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Gent
Hey! A few months ago I fitted a low mivv suono to my 2013 tiger 1050. I already have a full sized pannier for that side, but my original mounting position is so far off. Did you bend it in or completely replaced the right side?