Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another starting issue  (Read 768 times)

Offline Dante

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 '08
Another starting issue
« on: 18 October, 2020, 05:26:47 PM »
Hi all,

Tiger 1050 year 2008. Battery 1 year old, fully charged. No recent fiddling on any system nor maintenance due. Rode the bike the day before, started greatly any time.

Symptoms:

Switching the key on, the fuel pump primes the system, the ISM sounds adjusting, all lights and needle do their common tests to get the OK to the ECU, then when pressing the start sw the starter solenoid clicks loudly and nothing happens.

Tried to jump start, thinking maybe the battery was not OK, but same problem. Swapped both battery and starter relay with the ones in my Speed Triple (no starting issues) but the problem was still there.

Kill switch is in correct position, starter switch works. Have checked the clutch switch, removed and cleaned it.

Connecting to Tuneecu, no error codes, shows all switches working properly (sidestand, clutch, etc).

Checked continuity from battery ground cable and cleaned and tightened ground connection to engine case.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 18 October, 2020, 05:29:47 PM by Dante »

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: Another starting issue
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2020, 05:44:41 PM »
Just a thought.. seized starter motor...
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Dante

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2020, 05:50:06 PM »
Thanks Tigermike,

Will try to connect live batt terminals to the starter to see if it turns. The weird thing is immediately I press the start sw the solenoid clicks and there is no other sound.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2020, 05:54:09 PM »
Sounds like battery, or connection not tight enough, but you've checked that.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Callamity

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: TS 2018
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2020, 06:48:50 PM »
The starter solenoid is itself a possibility.  They are generic so you dont need to pay Triumph spares prices.  Wave the old one at your local auto factor but check all of your relay and fuse connectors for corrosion.

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2020, 10:20:01 PM »
Have you tried jumper lead from +ve battery to +ve terminal on top of motor? (with ignition on it should start)

Had similar, found a hard tap of the motor's back end with hammer and wood let it start normally*.  Stripped and cleaned the motor, all ok for a few weeks then did same again.  Bought new brush plate etc, fitted and problem was solved.

*Pretty sure this is cos the brushes sit tilted(due to being worn down) on a spot allowing negligible current flow and the tap dislodges them to make better contact with the reluctor ring.
« Last Edit: 18 October, 2020, 10:22:30 PM by Sidewinder »

Offline toopytiger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: '08 Blue
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #6 on: 19 October, 2020, 01:40:02 AM »
I've had this several times.  Its the starter motor for sure.  As Sidewinder suggests, a strip & clean of the starter should fix it.  If the bike has high miles it may need a brush kit, but you'll be able to tell easily once you get it apart
Triumph Centrestand & 3 box panniers.  TOR, dogbone out, Arrow race tune.  GIPro gear indicator.  SWMotech light mount with 3500 Komys.  SWMotech chainguard. Nitron R1.  Hand me down pointy indicators off son's Street Triple.

Offline Dante

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: 19 October, 2020, 09:47:09 AM »
Thanks all, I will remove, clean and inspect the starter as soon as possible. I remember I changed brushes on my ST last summer. The kit is unexpensive.

:020:

Will confirm if this works.

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #8 on: 19 October, 2020, 11:43:37 AM »
Yeah if you're gonna strip the starter buy a brush kit first and fit it anyway, not spendy and prevention better than cure (although new brushes may be a cure and prevent further issues!)

Offline Dante

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2020, 05:13:10 PM »
 :0461:

Already done!