Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust removal ?  (Read 306 times)

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
Exhaust removal ?
« on: 17 October, 2020, 04:49:59 PM »
Managed to get the exhaust system off, see photo of what was holding it on. One of the dome head bolts had been sawn in half, not sure why because when I poked something in there was nothing in the way. I was worried that there was a broken stud in there.

A question though, how do I remove the air sensor, is there a plug or do I need to unscrew the 17mm nut? Cheers..

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Re: Exhaust removal ?
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2020, 05:22:01 PM »
So the pic is how you found it???
no bolt in one hole could be the internal thread has been  pulled out with the old bolt,
I guess the system must have been off before looking at the variation in fixings???

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2020, 06:03:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by tiggersteve [+]
So the pic is how you found it???
no bolt in one hole could be the internal thread has been  pulled out with the old bolt,
I guess the system must have been off before looking at the variation in fixings???

Yes, this is what I found.. gonna put it all back how it should be.. the radiator is a mess, 70% of the paint is one big blister, when I peeled it off there was loads of white powdery stuff, I guess that eroding aluminium..  got some work on my hands making it all look good again..  :084:

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2020, 06:11:10 PM »
use etch primer before top coat far better adhesion that standard  :028:

Offline Kevmax

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 1050
« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »
Header pipes look in good condition. But you might as well check for cracks while you have them off. Block off the sensor hole and the header ends, a bit of soapy water sprayed all over and compressed air in the cat converter end and cross your fingers🤞.
Mine are in a terrible state. I had them welded already but they are leaking like a cabbage strainer again.Saving for a new set. I taught they were about 400 but checked today and there almost 700-800. I had a rough time getting them off also so I got some titanium studs and some brass nuts.
Best of luck with the rest of the project man 👍

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2020, 09:43:24 AM »
Gawd blimey, that's a 'orribull filthy mess in there. As tiggersteve said, obviously been removed, by a butcher. But removed for what reason? Early high mileage model?

On the good side the joining pipes look sound, no obvious cracks. The old crack detection kits we used back in 70's are still as good as any.  https://www.lasaero.com/products/article/W02JBOW5X

Good luck with this, developing into a winter project. The oxidised ally rad is a concern, hopefully caught in time, ally needs etch priming.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: 18 October, 2020, 10:41:39 AM »
2014 with 27k miles so no idea why they would have been off. Hopefully caught the radiator in time, good rub down, etching primer (thanks for the heads up on that) then some nice gloss black. All brackets and bits and bobs will be blasted and powder coated black gloss. Engine cleaned, painted where necessary and 're assemble.. 

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #7 on: 18 October, 2020, 11:02:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by af1-windy [+]
2014 with 27k miles so no idea why they would have been off. Hopefully caught the radiator in time, good rub down, etching primer (thanks for the heads up on that) then some nice gloss black. All brackets and bits and bobs will be blasted and powder coated black gloss. Engine cleaned, painted where necessary and 're assemble..

One good thing, this thread made me check mine, all fasteners intact, thankfully. Mine is also 2014 but only 23k, thanks to other bikes.

I do clean in there, then spray with Moto protect or similar.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
« Reply #8 on: 18 October, 2020, 11:56:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by af1-windy [+]

Personally I wouldn't go gloss black there isn't really anything gloss on the bike I would go Satin but hey just my opinion  :002:
Just think gloss will stand out too much

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: 18 October, 2020, 04:26:23 PM »
It'll be out of sight when fitted, I have a evotech rad protector, although I do have a tin of mat black spray I could use up..  :028: