Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: My first impressions with the TS  (Read 824 times)

Offline RobeAmsterdam

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Amsterdam
My first impressions with the TS
« on: 25 September, 2020, 01:38:54 PM »
I just bought a Tiger Sport 2016 (it is really model 2015), the bike only had 7500km, and I liked what I tested, but a test before buying, is not the same as a real test, specially where I live in the Netherlands, where there are no fun roads until you drive 300km south...

After getting the bike last Friday, I did a 1200km weekend trip, after which I can have a better idea of the bike...

My previous bike was a Suzuki GSXS1000F, so I knew I was trading some power for comfort, so here it goes my first impressions:

It is heavy, just getting it from the side stand you can feel it is a heavy bike, moving it while parking is a bit of a struggle for me (I'm 173cm, something like 5,8?), but once it starts moving, you can not really feel the weight, it is quite agile and it turns very easily in slow corners.

In terms of power, it doesn't have quite the punch my old bike had (it was a beast!), but this one has plenty of power to have fun in nice roads, I'm satisfied with that, however, in order to follow my friend in some places I really had to rev it up quite a bit, but I guess I need some time to get used to it and get the most out of it.

Fuel economy... I wasn't happy with this... for the entire trip I did an average of 6.1l/100km, while, in similar circumstances my previous bike would have done 4.9-5.1, even in the roads where I was trying to follow my friend, the average was 6.8!!! My previous bike would have only do that in the track!

Comfort. I found it extremely comfortable, I saw some people complaining about the seat, for me, this feels like sitting in the couch, what a pleasure!

Wind and noise... The wind protection is kind of ok.. it removes air from the chest and have clean air in the helmet, but I found it very noisy (wind noise), to the point that above 70km/h I'm not able to hear the bike... In fact, that is other issue, I can hear more the air intake than the exhaust, which I don't like, I found the exhaust too silent, or maybe because it is behind me somehow... I don't like loud pipes, but I like to hear the music from my own engine, I guess I'll need an aftermarket one for this (some homework to do on this during this winter).

The breaks are great, much better than I expected, I was used to the Brembos in the Suzuki, but these ones are also great!

Suspension. I think the suspension is not really well regulated for me, and I'm really bad doing this myself, I had it done by a professional in my previous bike and it made a great difference, I guess I'll have to do the same here to be able to tell, for now, my impression is that the front was set too hard and the rear too soft, but most likely this is just how it is set up and can be improved.

Apart from that, I had a problem during the last day of the trip... Nothing to do with the bike itself, but something to blame the dealer, who already took care of it. The front brake lever.. disappeared in the middle of the road!!! I was lucky it wasn't a fast road and I could stop it with the rear, but then I had to return home, more than 300km only with the rear brake, it was quite stressing...

Offline Callamity

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: TS 2018
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Re: My first impressions with the TS
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2020, 04:33:08 PM »
It sounds like you headed towards Maastricht and Monschau......  I used to live just over the German border near Venlo.
The 2016 update has improved on both aerodynamics and fuel consumption.  Your 6.1 l per 100km is about 38mpg UK which does sound high.  Doing 135+ kph on the autobahn will have an effect but my 2018 is returning upwards of 48mpg - often nearly 55mpg if I am cruising.  I too lose engine noise in the wind but appreciate the relative quiet. 
Happily I live in the middle of great biking routes.  The fly in the ointment is the weather in the hills! 

Offline mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2020, 04:37:51 PM »
Rob, your first experience with your Tiger Sport show a few problems which can be dealed with easily. Search this forum for the problems you had and you will find a solution.
A few suggestions: for better mileage don't use E10 fuel. It is rubbish and will increase fuel use. I got 18.5 km/ltr average on my 2009 Tiger 1050 on pure E95, 19.5 on my 2017 Tiger Sport using E95 with 5% ethanol and now 21.5 on my 2020 Tiger Sport on the best fuel I can get without ethanol.
Your model's suspension can use an update. Try a visit to Bas at Hyperpro in Alphen. To lower your bike visit Lust Racing.
A GIVI screen on a Palmer bracket is a great improvement. Or try to add a Puig or MRA deflector first.
I have used several brands of exhaust cans on my Tigers over the years such as Arrow, Remus and SCPROJECT. The SC1-R is IMO the best in quality and power but it is the loudest by far.
Triumph centerstand, engine guards, heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack, DLM36 panniers, SR6404 topbox rack with M9B plate, V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, ExtendaFenda, Pyramid hugger extension, Puig touring Screen with spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount, Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Lust Racing 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini 3 volt/temp/time

Offline RobeAmsterdam

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2020, 05:53:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Callamity [+]
It sounds like you headed towards Maastricht and Monschau......  I used to live just over the German border near Venlo.
The 2016 update has improved on both aerodynamics and fuel consumption.  Your 6.1 l per 100km is about 38mpg UK which does sound high.  Doing 135+ kph on the autobahn will have an effect but my 2018 is returning upwards of 48mpg - often nearly 55mpg if I am cruising.  I too lose engine noise in the wind but appreciate the relative quiet. 
Happily I live in the middle of great biking routes.  The fly in the ointment is the weather in the hills!

I was in Luxembourg for the weekend, great routes there...
When cruising in the highway the consumption was a bit lower, around 5,6l (43mpg), or even lower, when I was returning, when I only had rear break and was extra careful... But I'm sure, with time, I'll get that consumption a bit better...

Offline RobeAmsterdam

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2020, 06:00:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by mustangpilot [+]
Rob, your first experience with your Tiger Sport show a few problems which can be dealed with easily. Search this forum for the problems you had and you will find a solution.
A few suggestions: for better mileage don't use E10 fuel. It is rubbish and will increase fuel use. I got 18.5 km/ltr average on my 2009 Tiger 1050 on pure E95, 19.5 on my 2017 Tiger Sport using E95 with 5% ethanol and now 21.5 on my 2020 Tiger Sport on the best fuel I can get without ethanol.
Your model's suspension can use an update. Try a visit to Bas at Hyperpro in Alphen. To lower your bike visit Lust Racing.
A GIVI screen on a Palmer bracket is a great improvement. Or try to add a Puig or MRA deflector first.
I have used several brands of exhaust cans on my Tigers over the years such as Arrow, Remus and SCPROJECT. The SC1-R is IMO the best in quality and power but it is the loudest by far.

Thanks for the recommendations, I was, in fact using E10 (usually is what I use if it is just for burning it, not to park the bike).

I'll do that visit to Alphen to set up suspension, but I'm not really looking for lowering the bike (I have always been against messing with the geometry of bikes).

I might try the deflector, but setting the visor right is always a fight between wind and buffeting, testing other bikes I had the buffeting effect and I'd rather have clean wind in the helmet...

I don't really like to be the guy with the super loud exhaust, but I will check the options for something with a bit more character...

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2020, 10:13:03 PM »
Glad to see you're enjoying the bike. It's worth giving the bike a general service, to include new oil and filter, air filter and plugs. It is probably due anyway, but the air fliter in particular is probably worth changing. Don't forget when you do that to check the drain tube for moisture (there's a small rubber plug to pull out at the base, then wait for any drainage, then replace (all this stuff is in the manual or various posts on here).

IMHO, at 7500 km, the motor is not really run in yet anyway. And if the previous owner was very gentle, then maybe hardly run in at all. I feel that doesn't happen until around 10-12k and the occasional good thrashing  :015: . Then perfomance and economy should both improve. But this is really my personal view - sort of 'Daily floggings will continue until crew morale improves.'

You may want to wind the front fork preload all the way out until 6 rings are showing. That's what I found when I lived in Belgium - I needed the maximum travel to cope with some of the speed humps around Brussels. But I know that Dutch roads are generally better.

And as others have said, try either a cut-down screen (for clear air), or an MRA or Puig clip-on additional screen. Most people choose one or the other.

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2020, 03:13:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by mustangpilot [+]
.......on my 2017 Tiger Sport using E95 with 5% ethanol.............

There is no E95. I think you mean E5. Either that or you're confusing it with Euro95, the fuel standards convention that the Netherlands is a signatory to through the ANWB.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2020, 08:40:29 AM »
Sounds like you bought the wrong bike Rob. A comparable bike to your previous GSXS1000F might be a Street or Speed Triple. Not sure what category the Suzuki slots into, it's not a full out sports bike & not a sports tourer.

The TS is IMO a comfy sporty'ish tourer, light compared to full blown tourers, strongly built for hauling 2 people with luggage, so not a lightweight that can't take a topbox as well as panniers. Comparable bikes would be Suzuki V Strom 1000 or Kawasaki Versys 1000. The TS fares well in their company.

Your 38mpg is low, ridden on rev's instead of its low down torque, mine does 49-51mpg on premium fuel. Not squirt & brake riding, I'm usually going somewhere but loaded up with camping gear.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
« Reply #8 on: 27 September, 2020, 09:19:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by TCC [+]
There is no E95. I think you mean E5. Either that or you're confusing it with Euro95, the fuel standards convention that the Netherlands is a signatory to through the ANWB.
:435:   My 2017 Tiger Sport was traded for a T1200 in 2018. E95/Euro95 was still around till October 2019 when thanks to the EU the labeling of E5 and E10 were made compulsory....sort of.... Shell Super Plus is labeled E5 but is ethanol free.
Triumph centerstand, engine guards, heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack, DLM36 panniers, SR6404 topbox rack with M9B plate, V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, ExtendaFenda, Pyramid hugger extension, Puig touring Screen with spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount, Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Lust Racing 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini 3 volt/temp/time

Offline RobeAmsterdam

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #9 on: 27 September, 2020, 09:32:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Sounds like you bought the wrong bike Rob. A comparable bike to your previous GSXS1000F might be a Street or Speed Triple. Not sure what category the Suzuki slots into, it's not a full out sports bike & not a sports tourer.

The TS is IMO a comfy sporty'ish tourer, light compared to full blown tourers, strongly built for hauling 2 people with luggage, so not a lightweight that can't take a topbox as well as panniers. Comparable bikes would be Suzuki V Strom 1000 or Kawasaki Versys 1000. The TS fares well in their company.

Your 38mpg is low, ridden on rev's instead of its low down torque, mine does 49-51mpg on premium fuel. Not squirt & brake riding, I'm usually going somewhere but loaded up with camping gear.

Hi Paul, I don't think I got it wrong, when I changed bikes I didn't have in mind getting the same type of bike, but getting something more comfortable,, that also my girlfriend would be happy with and a more straight body position.

My use of the bike is mostly weekends away (~1200km in a weekend) or about 10 days trips with luggage doing 3500-4000km, so I definitely had something more tourer in mind. Getting to the twisty roads from where I live requires almost 300km in highways, so as much as I love a more sporty ride in the twisties, I have to cope with that as well... I find the TS a very good compromise between comfort and a "sportish" position to have fun as well...

Versys and Vstrom are some examples more in the tourer side (the footpegs position much lower and forward, etc.), but you can also put in this group the Multistrada, the Tracer 900 and even the bmw xr1000 with a more sporty feeling, all these are the bikes I was comparing and checking when I was changing bikes, and I think the TS fits perfectly between them.

Don't get the wrong idea with my post, those are not complaints, but more observations and things I might want to improve to get closer to the feeling I want to get, I know I have to adapt my riding style to this bike, and I hope my mpg number will improve as I do...