Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Snapped shift shaft  (Read 785 times)

Offline tbone

• Tiger Pro
  • Tbone
  • Bike/Model: 07 White Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Royse City TX
Snapped shift shaft
« on: 22 September, 2020, 12:01:36 PM »
07 Tiger snapped the shift shaft, or gear selector shaft over the weekend. The shop opens today so was going to ask them what it will take to fix it? Or is this something I can possibly do? It has 62K miles on it. 

Online gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Re: Snapped shift shaft
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2020, 12:44:35 PM »
Several forum members have removed the shift shaft to fix a broken shift spring. Can't recall if I have read of someone breaking the shaft itself. Did it just snap off or was it the result of a tip over?

Here is a link to a thread that details the procedures of getting the gear change shaft out. Have a look at it and see if it is something you would feel comfortable doing.

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,41388.0.html
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2020, 12:48:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by tbone [+]
07 Tiger snapped the shift shaft, or gear selector shaft over the weekend. The shop opens today so was going to ask them what it will take to fix it? Or is this something I can possibly do? It has 62K miles on it.
:005: I think you need to read the following threads tbone, you possibly have the same issue as me , Turtle & markbt
https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,41564.0.html
https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,41239.0.html
https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,41038.0.html
turtle has put together a great how to guide.
https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,41388.10.html
good luck  :031:
« Last Edit: 22 September, 2020, 12:53:26 PM by Tigermike »
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2020, 01:10:09 PM »
This seems to be getting quite regular
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline turtle

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2020, 04:28:43 PM »
Tbone, like gosling, I am curious if the shift shaft actually broke in two?  I can't imagine that happening without a tip over or some other similar event.  Regardless, I think you can do the repair if you do some of your own wrenching.  It's not too difficult.  The links above will give you the procedure.  It will basically be the same as if you had a broken centering spring.
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline tbone

• Tiger Pro
  • Tbone
« Reply #5 on: 24 September, 2020, 01:41:03 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. Still need to click the links and research it. Also have an appointment with the shop to get an estimate as well, but still deciding if I am going to try it myself. The bike has been dropped twice, once in 2018 on a gravel road, and again in 2019 on an asphalt parking lot. The shaft snapped off right at the seal, which is still intact, and left a fairly clean break.

Looked at the first link. Wow what a great write up, this might be my winter project?

Some Questions?
When removing the old shaft, do you need a follower shaft to keep things aligned for the new shaft?
I am in first gear, does it need to be in neutral, or does it matter?
Think I also need to grind my broken end down to remove any burrs, so will definitely need a new seal.

Thanks again for your info and support.
« Last Edit: 24 September, 2020, 02:30:37 PM by tbone »

Offline turtle

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: 24 September, 2020, 06:36:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by tbone [+]
Some Questions?
When removing the old shaft, do you need a follower shaft to keep things aligned for the new shaft?
I am in first gear, does it need to be in neutral, or does it matter?
Think I also need to grind my broken end down to remove any burrs, so will definitely need a new seal.

I did not use a follower.  The shaft is stiff and the distance is relatively short.  The new shaft should not be hard to align and install through the case.

I put mine in neutral.  Don't think it matters too much.  Getting the mechanism back together properly is what matters.  Make sure you know how it came apart so you can duplicate that on reassembly.  Mine required some fiddling to get back together.  Honestly, I am not sure what I did to finally get it to fall into place.  I "tested", as best I could, the transmission shift function before I put it all the way back together. 

New seal is a good idea if you have any doubts.  I tried to protect mine carefully.  But if you have burrs that might have nicked it, now is the time to replace it.  Don't want to do all this again!

Once I finally had parts, the whole effort probably took me 4-5 hours, and I went slowly.  You can probably get it done before winter  :300:

« Last Edit: 24 September, 2020, 06:38:44 PM by turtle »
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline tbone

• Tiger Pro
  • Tbone
« Reply #7 on: 25 September, 2020, 05:05:41 PM »
Thank You Turtle.

Offline turtle

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: 28 September, 2020, 09:01:06 PM »
 :028:
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline tbone

• Tiger Pro
  • Tbone
« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2020, 01:30:29 PM »
Okay, I got an estimate from the shop, seems reasonable so they are going to do the repair.
For the parts, labor, and an oil & filter change, out the door is $599 usd.
The oil they said they are going to use is Castrol 10W 50 4T. I have always used Mobil 1 10w 40 4T, are these oils compatible? They are both full synthetic, so initially do not think it is a problem?