Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust note  (Read 224 times)

Offline MarkZ1000

• Tiger Newbie
Exhaust note
« on: 16 September, 2020, 11:13:02 AM »
Hi, new to the forum, just put down a deposit on a 2017 Tiger Sport, while on a test ride though i could hear a raspy/blowing noise from the exhaust, more noticeable at slower speeds, when i got back to the dealer, with the bike on the side stand and blipping the throttle the raspy/blowing noise sounded like it was coming from the back of the end can, is this normal ?.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Re: Exhaust note
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2020, 11:51:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by MarkZ1000 [+]
Hi, new to the forum, just put down a deposit on a 2017 Tiger Sport, while on a test ride though i could hear a raspy/blowing noise from the exhaust, more noticeable at slower speeds, when i got back to the dealer, with the bike on the side stand and blipping the throttle the raspy/blowing noise sounded like it was coming from the back of the end can, is this normal ?.

:405: Look forward to seeing your first photos  :031:

The standard can has a pretty good raspy note at strong revs. Unless you are giving the throttle a reasonably strong blip, then it is not usually noticeable.

Ask to ride another one to compare  :062:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline MarkZ1000

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2020, 12:27:23 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply, the next nearest TS17 to me for sale is about 40 miles away, this raspy/blowing noise from end can was only from tickover to about 4000 rpm, could a previous owner have modified end can internals for more noise ?, is that a common mod on theses bikes ?.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2020, 01:21:34 PM »
Unlikely. The exhaust is a good bit louder (raspier) on the new models than the previous version. Most of the silencing happens in the cats so the end pipe is pretty much straight through so replacing it won't give you any massive performance gains.
Having said that don't expect too many responses cos most of us have the original can wrapped up in our garages and can't really remember what they sound like  :745:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2020, 01:58:57 PM »
I do have the stock can and I would suggest that what you describe is not normal and you really do need to make some effort to get the desired raspy sound.

There might be a leak in the exhaust system. Stick your palm over the back (with a rag) to see if she blows out elsewhere or if she feels like she is about to stall  :187:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2020, 04:22:32 PM »
Rasp is normal from std can,  I remember quite liking it  but it was a bit quiet and it weighs a ton
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2020, 05:19:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Rasp is normal from std can,  I remember quite liking it  but it was a bit quiet and it weighs a ton
:0461:
Today re-installed my SCPROJECT SC1-R exhaust which I removed 2 months ago because I thought it was a bit loud, especially at idle.
But after comparing the measured noise levels of both OEM and SC1-R but came out at 76-79 dB at idle. The variation is caused by taking readings at different angles and distances from the exhaust outlet.
The tone of sound is much different between the two cans.

Triumph centerstand, engine guards & heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack, DLM36 panniers, SR6404 topbox rack with M9B plate, V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator & oil cooler guards, ExtendaFenda, Pyramid hugger extension, Puig touring Screen with spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount,  Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch & brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Lust Racing 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini 3 volt/temp/time