Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Looking for a switched live  (Read 759 times)

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Re: Looking for a switched live
« Reply #10 on: 12 August, 2020, 06:16:45 PM »
If that cable at the top of the pic leads to your powered top box it is switched. That's what I have use for my Fuzeblock.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Jaytee

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2020, 06:38:58 PM »
Sean yes i think it is, Im gonna have to rummage a bit further to find out.

Paul it saves having lots of usb or ciggy type sockets everywhere, you just cut the ends off and stick them in the snap shut connector box.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #12 on: 13 August, 2020, 02:32:43 PM »
Ok thanks for the heads up on this, looks  brill. I watched this vid see below on it, magical wee gadget. But, two things came to mind, he didn't show in the vid how to get around these.

1. Do you still need the permanent live optimate tails from the battery for your battery charger?

2. How to charge with engine off on tour, eg bluetooth headset, I plug into live optimate tail for an hour or so.

Has he missed this out? Battery wires going in, can you get live out. Or does the TB shut it all down?

Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #13 on: 13 August, 2020, 03:05:00 PM »
Paul, here is my take: If you don't choose the 'switched' option, plugging in an Optimate / Tender will fool the Box into thinking the engine is on and charging as it'll sense the higher voltage. Therefore the Box will switch on and load your battery through anything connected and on. If you choose and install the system so that it only switches on from a switched feed, it'll stay off until that feed goes live.

Therefore, if you connect the switched live, you can leave your charger port and Tender connection hard connected to the battery with all of those benefits. I guess this is inferred rather than stated but I have not looked hard at the explanation. I'm a camping wimp so I'll never install anything like this. I am committed to loading my alternator as lightly as possible for the life of my bike due to all the issues I've read about on this forum.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #14 on: 13 August, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »
Yes ZT, that sounds logical. I'm with you on loading the leccy system, I've never had any reg/rec or stator probs............yet.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #15 on: 13 August, 2020, 06:18:33 PM »
Zulutiger assuming one has a shunt type RR as is the OE and all mosfet 'upgrades' the lighter the load on the electrical system the more power is shunted back to the stator the more likely it is to generate heat and thereby cause problems..

Offline JohnnyWheels

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Tiger SE (red)
  • City / Town: Jackson, Mississippi
« Reply #16 on: 13 August, 2020, 09:17:46 PM »
In case it's the same as the 08-12 Tiger here's the wiring diagram. The rear light is #35 and the license plate light is #36

« Last Edit: 13 August, 2020, 09:50:52 PM by JohnnyWheels »
-----------------------------------------------------
2012 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #17 on: 14 August, 2020, 12:17:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
Zulutiger assuming one has a shunt type RR as is the OE and all mosfet 'upgrades' the lighter the load on the electrical system the more power is shunted back to the stator the more likely it is to generate heat and thereby cause problems..

There is no free ride electrically. More load means more energy and more heat and there is only one source to serve the load. I'll resist arguing but here is an anecdote I'll share:

Dr. Chris Barnard performed the first heart transplant and went on to do many more. When asked what he'd do to promote a healthy heart he responded that he'd sit still, never exercise and keep his heart beating steadily under the lowest load. He did not say keep running gently so that blood would flow through the 'bypass'. Your alternator has to carry the shunt current PLUS the increased load and I can assure you that less standing load means a longer life.

Very few owners have had stators burn out until they add load. Just saying. To say that adding load will DECREASE wear is unfortunately a great idea but a factual inaccuracy. IMHO and unfortunately long electrical experience.

My choice is to find an energy source other than my stator / alternator / regulator and so far (11 years) it's working for me.   

Offline Jaytee

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #18 on: 14 August, 2020, 01:43:51 PM »
All I want to put on the bike is a couple usb points for satnav and phone and a pair of auxiliary lights on the front. Most people have these things on their bikes, I just wanted to do it this way to make it easier for me and a neater setup. Are you saying I shouldnt do this cos itll kill my RR?

Offline Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #19 on: 14 August, 2020, 02:11:10 PM »
No, you'll be totally fine Jay.

Me n Zulu are 'not arguing' about how the charging system works as a whole.

Increased load means less current being shunted
Lets say Stator makes 100% at 4000revs and lights, ignition etc uses 80% of that so 20% is being shunted back via RR to stator, heating both components up.  Now you swap out halogen for led and so are now using 60% and shunting 40%, this must mean stator/RR is now having to dissipate more heat than before and will therefore run hotter.

This is based on what i've read and seems sensible to me.