Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2016 Model loose mirror heads at speed  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Weegiboy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport&T120
  • City / Town: London
2016 Model loose mirror heads at speed
« on: 05 August, 2020, 06:45:31 AM »
Good morning all

Hope everyone is well, Its been a while since posting due to the rich tapestry that is life which is another story on its own, just wondering if there is a simple hack for loose mirror heads ? When I either accelerate purposefully or start to get a proper weave on, the mirror heads start to either fold back or down on themselves due to them being slightly loose on the ball joint inside the mirror head housing .
Is there an easy fix for this or is it a more involved operation ? Ive read about heat guns to remove the mirror, drilling holes in the back to access the tightening nut and so forth, just wondering if there is anything model year specific to mine being a 2016 model ?
I have noticed two tiny holes on the underside of the mirror housing but Im guessing their there to allow for pressure or drainage and not to access tiny Allen Bolts or screws ? All  tips, tricks and advice much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 05 August, 2020, 06:47:05 AM by Weegiboy »
The man hunched over his motorcycle can focus only on the present... he is caught in a fragment of time cut off from both the past and the future... he has no fear, because the source of fear is in the future, and a person freed of the future has nothing to fear.
Milan Kundera

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: 2016 Model loose mirror heads at speed
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2020, 09:54:34 AM »
You could fit the earlier mirrors off a speedy/Tex/Striple. Not the earlier TS.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2020, 10:30:29 AM »
Aprilia mirrors on mine. 1/3 of the price of T mirrors and solved the wobbly right mirror.
Note you will need an adapter (or helicoil) for the right mirror.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Weegiboy

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2020, 03:58:54 PM »
Thank you both for the advice/solutions much appreciated.
The man hunched over his motorcycle can focus only on the present... he is caught in a fragment of time cut off from both the past and the future... he has no fear, because the source of fear is in the future, and a person freed of the future has nothing to fear.
Milan Kundera

Offline mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2020, 06:25:30 PM »
I had a set of  Highsider mirrors on my 2017 Sport https://www.nr1motor.nl/highsider-universal-mirror-sempion.html but currently not available. Must still have those lying around somewhere.

Triumph centerstand, engine guards & heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack, DLM36 panniers, SR6404 topbox rack with M9B plate, V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator & oil cooler guards, ExtendaFenda, Pyramid hugger extension, Puig touring Screen with spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount,  Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch & brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Lust Racing 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini 3 volt/temp/time

Offline Weegiboy

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2020, 06:41:44 PM »
Thank you @Mustangpilot
Milan Kundera

Offline Weegiboy

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2020, 08:41:44 AM »
@mustangpilot if you do still have those highsider mirrors and find them let me know if you want to punt them on, thanks .
Milan Kundera

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2020, 12:08:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Aprilia mirrors on mine. 1/3 of the price of T mirrors and solved the wobbly right mirror.
Note you will need an adapter (or helicoil) for the right mirror.

Interesting, did Triumph change to a left hand thread for the Tiger Sport right side mirror? I have a set of mirrors taken off a 2016 Tuono V4 1100 and they went straight on my '08 Mk1 without any modification.

Aprilia part #'s
896663 - RH Mirror
858539 - LH Mirror
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline agardener

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050 2018
  • City / Town: New Forest
« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2020, 12:12:38 PM »
I am sure my 2018 TS has different threads for left and right.  I added mirror extensions and had to ensure I got the right ones....
Cheers,

Andrew

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2020, 04:54:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by agardener [+]
I am sure my 2018 TS has different threads for left and right.  I added mirror extensions and had to ensure I got the right ones....

Good one this eh. Just checked the original pair off my '14 TS, both right hand threads. Replaced with Speedy mirrors.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.