Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cooling Issue after flush - input appreciated  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Chrispy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 ABS in white
  • City / Town: Grapevine
Re: Cooling Issue after flush - input appreciated
« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2020, 06:13:47 PM »
So I tested both thermostats and they both worked.  After some thought I decided to put the Triumph OEM item back in.  The Stant 13908 - when fully open - extends too far into the interior casting of the cyl for my comfort level.  By contrast the OEM item doesn't extend at all.  The Stant is 41mm from flange to base at full open but there's a shoulder inside the thermostat opening that's only 39mm deep.  I can't be certain it will hit as it is slightly off centre but since they both work fine, why not put the OEM item back in?

Refilling was done v slowly carefully, and after part filling I ran the engine.  I burped the hoses repeatedly, and used the bleed screw to remove any bubbles - over several heat cycles.  It totally felt right.  However, the test run again showed the gauge hitting six bars at traffic lights after highway speeds - and stay idling long enough it would hit seven bars.  :151:

At this point - confidence destroyed - I took it to my local dealer and asked them to have a go (from scratch).  They did the same, but they even put the front wheel on a lift to put the rad at the highest point.  Everything checked out - they were confident that all air was eliminated.  But still - the gauge shows behaviour that I simply don't recall before.

So I'm just going to ride the snot out of it. 

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #11 on: 21 July, 2020, 09:39:58 AM »
You are massively overthinking this.   All you've done is shown that Engine Ice is a bit better at cooling the engine.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #12 on: 21 July, 2020, 12:47:40 PM »
Just a thought .. did you change the rad cap as well  :084:
read this thread https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,39158.10.html
« Last Edit: 21 July, 2020, 12:56:10 PM by Tigermike »
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
« Reply #13 on: 21 July, 2020, 03:52:17 PM »
fwiw my 07 tiger has 180k miles on it. original t stat, hoses and cap. I change coolant every 5-6 yrs. Never removed that air bleeder. It operates now, and always has, just like yours does.

Offline Chrispy

• Tiger Member
« Reply #14 on: 03 August, 2020, 09:07:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
You are massively overthinking this.   All you've done is shown that Engine Ice is a bit better at cooling the engine.

Riding the snot out of it is overthinking?  Okaaay.....

Actually...  since the last refill was with Engine Ice that's not the case anyway.  Plus Engine Ice is propylene glycol and Coolanol is ethylene glycol.  The latter is supposed to be better at heat transfer (but is highly toxic).

Offline Chrispy

• Tiger Member
« Reply #15 on: 03 August, 2020, 09:15:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tigermike [+]
Just a thought .. did you change the rad cap as well  :084:
read this thread https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,39158.10.html

Thank you -  I think I will do that.  I will concur that my bike has always found its own level on the expansion tank and yes - its at the minimum mark.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #16 on: 03 August, 2020, 10:47:00 PM »
I just took mine out here in 92F heat and saw 7 bars for the very first time. I know mine needs a flush due to standing but on a long ride I saw the heat jump down to 5 bars suddenly, like something moved inside the path. I've also had it burp coolant a few times on the side stand so think I have a bubble of air that has been there for years. I'll be doing a complete drain and replace in the next few days so hopefully I get it right.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #17 on: 04 August, 2020, 12:00:33 AM »
The fact the gauge drops from 7 bars to 5 tells me all is good and all you are witnessing is the differing cooling characteristics of the 2 coolant types.

If you are not getting the p!ss after stopping symptom (the bike) then your radiator cap is probably fine (change it anyway).

Good luck  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
« Reply #18 on: 06 September, 2020, 03:04:16 PM »
fwiw I was in heavy traffic on a 97f day, and also saw 7 bars for the first time ever, having changed nothing. Must be caused by global warming or the virus.  :164:

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #19 on: 06 September, 2020, 06:13:01 PM »
I was out today in cooler temps (84F) and I'm back where I was at 5 bars, as usual. I guess high temps and humidity are a big player at high ambient temps. Since nothing mechanical is self-healing I'm sure my bike is fine and I simply did not pay attention to high heat runs previously. I usually don't spend the hot summer months in the USA but Covid grounded me through the hottest period so this might be a first. My old Chevy Trailblazer has always been garaged but has had to sleep outside since I got my Prowler. So far it has eaten the rear windshield wiper and the front washer nozzles due to the plastic hardening in the heat, all in one season.