Author Topic: Spring rates sag etc - wtf is going on with my springs???!?!?!?!?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline leighz

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050 2013
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Bike is a 2013 Tiger Sport

Front preload is wound in showing two (fat) bands - this gives me :
Static 44mm
Loaded 63mm

If the available travel is 140mm (166mm max fully extended stanchion) as per triumphs spec for this bike that means I'm using 45% of available travel just sitting on the thing

Preload adjustment seems to make very little difference (I backed it off from full as I read somewhere you're not supposed to run with max preload - can't remember the reason why - to harsh a ride maybe?)

fwiw I have a cable tie which currently sits 41mm above the bottom of the stanchion (this would give me 26mm unusable stanchion and 15mm remaining travel) try as a might I can't get lower than that 15mm remaining travel

So my questions are:

1) are these springs likely to be progressive?

2) how on earth are they supposed to cope two up? I generally ride solo

3) what static and loaded sag should I aim for? (I usually aim for about 1/3 of total travel loaded as a ball park which would be so ~ 47mm in this case).

Planning on replacing for oil at some point and taking a look at the springs to just to find out what's in there

Any input much appreciated

fwiw I've got the preload wound in nearly to max to get about 1/3 travel loaded sag

Cheers?

ps I'm 90kg

Offline turtle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
I know just barely enough about this to be dangerous, so YMMV.  On my Mk1 Tiger (2011) with factory springs, I had the same rider sag as you, 45%, which is too much.  Cranking in more preload won't remedy that.  I shoot for about 30% max of full travel for rider sag.  I believe you need higher rate springs.  I prefer straight rate springs.  There are plenty of rate calculators out there if you do a web search.  There's a ton of info here on the forum as well.  It takes some patience to find it and sort through all the information and opinions.  Hope this helps. 
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Ayup leighz, did you buy the bike new? If not could a PO have put girlie weight springs in it?

I just set mine so's it's comfy...for me. Backing it all from factory settings until it stopped bouncing me out of the seat on our sh#t roads. I'm about 100kg kitted up, my luggage is about 45kg. The muck stops 54mm up the stanchion if that helps.  :008:
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline leighz

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
Yes - new springs may be in order. Front and rear.

No - I bought it second hand. The guy who owned it before me had lowered it so I put that back to stock which improved things no end - well it stopped grinding the pegs out with such regularity :)

Other than that I don't know much else about the bikes history. Guess I'll have to take the springs out to find out

Offline leighz

• Tiger Member
  • Topic Author
*Originally Posted by leighz [+]

fwiw I've got the preload wound in nearly to max on the rear to get about 1/3 travel loaded sag

just realised that didn't make sense

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Could it have been been lowered, maybe using shorter springs. Have you checked it against another.

Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

reconstruction