Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lockdown casualty  (Read 6302 times)

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Lockdown casualty
« Reply #10 on: 15 July, 2020, 10:34:55 PM »
My supposed heavy duty Yuasa YTX14H died over winter and the lockdown period. Probably because of the alarm (which I had put to sleep), and the fact that the bike was stored and untouched (no charger either) for 6 months. It was only 2 years old as well. Luckily enough I had a YTZ14S spare left over from my old T1050 days, which I'd stored fully charged. That one charged up, went into the bike which only came back on the road last week, and now going great guns.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #11 on: 25 July, 2020, 11:50:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
I must have missed that, what mileage when the stator burned out? Not had that delight yet.

I missed this post when you wrote it.   It seems I bought the new stator in Feb last year, at which point the mileage would have been around 48k.

I did a post at the time, the bike died on me one evening on the way home from work with a failed battery, the cause of which was the burned out stator.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #12 on: 25 July, 2020, 12:08:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
I missed this post when you wrote it.   It seems I bought the new stator in Feb last year, at which point the mileage would have been around 48k.

I did a post at the time, the bike died on me one evening on the way home from work with a failed battery, the cause of which was the burned out stator.

Thanks for the reply, I wonder if it's down to extra power draw eg heated grips/kit or just not as reliable as the units fitted to the older 900 & 955 models. Reading of too many failures.

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #13 on: 25 July, 2020, 03:54:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I wonder if it's down to extra power draw eg heated grips/kit or just not as reliable as the units fitted to the older 900 & 955 models. Reading of too many failures.

I guess that's certainly a possibility.   The part number from Electrex World is the same as for the 955 engines, so it hasn't changed in a while.   I do run heated grips (5 months a year, anyway) and I also have a heated vest.   On the other hand though, I have LED headlights which save about 25W per side, and the vest is only 18W so altogether even with both grips and vest running, it can't be far off the total draw of an accessory-free bike.

It could be other things though - total sales figures for 1050 engines are surely a lot greater than 955s, so there's a lot more of them out there to go wrong - and how many people were on forums to complain when the 955 was the current engine?

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #14 on: 25 July, 2020, 04:36:15 PM »
It could be other things though - total sales figures for 1050 engines are surely a lot greater than 955s, so there's a lot more of them out there to go wrong - and how many people were on forums to complain when the 955 was the current engine?

Could be, just going off the regulars on this forum and it being newish TS's.  In the real world I don't know anybody else with a 1050. Rarely see any model 1050 at rallies. Time was when we all had ST955's.

Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #15 on: 25 July, 2020, 04:54:42 PM »
I guess that's certainly a possibility.   The part number from Electrex World is the same as for the 955 engines, so it hasn't changed in a while.   I do run heated grips (5 months a year, anyway) and I also have a heated vest.   On the other hand though, I have LED headlights which save about 25W per side, and the vest is only 18W so altogether even with both grips and vest running, it can't be far off the total draw of an accessory-free bike.

Charging issues were probably the 2nd biggest issue for 955 Tigers, next to fuel coupling failures, but, I had 2 and never had an issue. Keeping all the connector blocks and earths clean seemed to help. Stators used to burn out and from what I saw was normally down to overheating. Triumph were and are obviously aware as even fairly recently on the 1050's they introduced an extra oil channel and a modified Rotor bolt to get extra oil onto the stator
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 955
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #16 on: 25 July, 2020, 06:40:23 PM »
Tim and I go back along way with our 955s,as he said the charging issues was a major one,from changing how the battery charged,to the many options with Reg/Recs,some years ago I dipped my toe in the water with a lithium battery on an XT660 that was 6 years ago last January and its still good,changed to lithium on other bikes.

The Tiger was the bear trap,id Put a new after market Reg/Rec on the tiger and then fitted a lithium and the bike spat its dummy out on the M6 of all places,only to find out that Electrex who is a major supplier of after market electrics then put up a red warning on their website,I never have found out if lithium would work with an OE Reg/Rec.

But I have no doubts lithium is the way to go.
« Last Edit: 25 July, 2020, 06:44:17 PM by Winger »

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #17 on: 25 July, 2020, 07:59:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Charging issues were probably the 2nd biggest issue for 955 Tigers, next to fuel coupling failures, but, I had 2 and never had an issue. Keeping all the connector blocks and earths clean seemed to help. Stators used to burn out and from what I saw was normally down to overheating.

Had an ST955 for 11 years & 60k miles, only problem I had was a Denso stick coil failed early on, replaced under warranty. For the last 2 years I also had a ST1050, bought that new, never let me down in 25k miles but not as good.

*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Triumph were and are obviously aware as even fairly recently on the 1050's they introduced an extra oil channel and a modified Rotor bolt to get extra oil onto the stator

What years does this mod cover? Not mine I'll bet.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #18 on: 25 July, 2020, 11:26:47 PM »

What years does this mod cover? Not mine I'll bet.

Its on an engine number, 774268, Just checked the bulletin and in fact I got it wrong way round, early motors oil feed went through Rotor bolt, later motors have a specific drilling in crankcase higher up that sprays oil directly at stator. Pretty sure that engine number is after 2016 though.

This is wording copied from Bulletin:

Alternator Cooling
The method of cooling the alternator has been revised from engine number 774268 (all
markets except Brazil) or engine number 785702 (Brazil only). The revised oil feed to the
alternator utilises a drilling in the upper crankcase instead of the previous drilling directly
through the crankshaft alternator bolt.
Pressurised oil is fed to the alternator to aid cooling. The oil is taken from the crankshaft
oil feed and directed through a drilling in the upper crankcase through a feed bolt,
spraying oil onto the alternator stator.
« Last Edit: 25 July, 2020, 11:29:23 PM by Timbox »
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #19 on: 26 July, 2020, 09:08:36 AM »
Ok thanks Tim, so it only took them 11 years of producing the 1050 motor to come up with this mod then.  :192:

I wonder how many stators our high mileage chum rhead over the pond has gone through?

I remember Hamlin saying he wouldn't go anywhere without carrying a spare stator.
Leonardo da Vinci