Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lockdown casualty  (Read 6298 times)

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Lockdown casualty
« on: 10 July, 2020, 10:33:04 AM »
Sneaky day off work today and was planning to get out and about. Put the optimate on last night and the battery is completely dead and unresponsive (won't charge).

My fault. A few days into the lockdown one of our power circuits failed. This was a minor emergency as my large tropical fish tank is on that circuit and I couldn't get an electrician out for a week. Only long extension was connected to the optimate which was connected to the bike. I nicked the extension but forgot to unplug the optimate - which has LED indicators which are powered by the battery  :157:

Oh well - perhaps next week...
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Re: Lockdown casualty
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2020, 10:37:42 AM »
 :138:

happened to me one day had a ciggie plug with a USB adapter in it again with a tiny led, didn't realize it was constant live

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2020, 09:24:49 PM »
Those USB adapters are notorious for drawing current all the time.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2020, 09:46:02 PM »
Aye and Sat-Nav docking stations unless on a switched live.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2020, 11:08:52 PM »
Well I've said for a while battery tenders are neccessary evils that do more harm than good. Proved it to myself today by putting a voltmeter across the terminals. 0.09V - not a typo. Guess there's no coming back from there  :164:

On a serious note if you are nervous about buying a wet charged battery online in general, or specifically from Amazon my new Yuasa read a healthy 12.8V straight out of the box. According to the sticker it was commissioned in 04/20. The old girl (bless her) fired straight into life without even a stutter. The riding season can now commence  :007:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2020, 08:30:10 AM »
Missus' car battery knacked, so to change it without losing radio settings, I connected an old 7amp/hr battery I took off my Serow 3.5 years ago, it was showing 7v on the mm after all that time sat on the floor. Give it a charge & up to 12v. Sean, you totally killed that battery, error noted for future ref.

I only put the accumate on for 24 hrs once a week or two over winter but always check voltage first with mm, got 3 bikes on the go but they're always 12.6 - 12.8 after a couple of weeks not on charge. Sure the TS battery can't have long now at 6.25 years old.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2020, 01:53:26 PM »
Mine seems to survive weeks just being left alone.   Granted I don't have anything like an optimate or USB adapter plugged in, but I fired it up for the first time in 6-7 weeks the other day and it was like I'd last ridden it the day before - no problem whatsoever.

It's a 2013 so it does have the built-in immobiliser, though I think that goes into a deep sleep after a while.   The red light on the dash stops flashing, certainly.   Whatever, mine at least seems to tolerate lengthy periods of no use.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #7 on: 14 July, 2020, 04:44:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
Mine seems to survive weeks just being left alone.   Granted I don't have anything like an optimate or USB adapter plugged in, but I fired it up for the first time in 6-7 weeks the other day and it was like I'd last ridden it the day before - no problem whatsoever.

It's a 2013 so it does have the built-in immobiliser, though I think that goes into a deep sleep after a while.   The red light on the dash stops flashing, certainly.   Whatever, mine at least seems to tolerate lengthy periods of no use.

Is that the original battery anorl?
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #8 on: 14 July, 2020, 05:17:04 PM »
No, second battery.  One got messed up around the time the stator burned out, but it was about 5 years old by then.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #9 on: 14 July, 2020, 05:24:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
No, second battery.  One got messed up around the time the stator burned out, but it was about 5 years old by then.

I must have missed that, what mileage when the stator burned out? Not had that delight yet.
Leonardo da Vinci