Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Strange issue  (Read 711 times)

Offline Luddfooter

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Halifax
Re: Strange issue
« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2020, 01:34:43 PM »
Mmm, Ill check the side stand switch, be odd only to happen at certain revs though. Although, could be a vibration thing causing it to short at certain revs I suppose...

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #11 on: 11 July, 2020, 04:34:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Luddfooter [+]
Mmm, Ill check the side stand switch, be odd only to happen at certain revs though. Although, could be a vibration thing causing it to short at certain revs I suppose...

Not saying it is the problem but it has been known
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Cloudy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Gordonton
« Reply #12 on: 12 July, 2020, 01:01:39 AM »
What you are describing sounds like 6th in my 07. If i do a lazy change, it doesn't fully engage. When I roll on the power, it slips momentarily then engage's with quite a shocking crash/crunch. As long as I am deliberate with the change its fine, quite often after shifting I will up shift again just to make sure. Its so second nature now it'll stay as it is until something goes bang!. I bought the bike two years ago with 94k km on it. Now has125k km and is fine apart from that issue.
07 Tiger 1050, K&N Air Filter, Snorkel Removed, Storm GP Low Level Exhaust, 20551 Map, NGK Iridium Plugs, Ricks R/R, Ohlins Rear Shock, Ohlins Front Springs, Bar End Mirrors, LED Spots, Leather Seat Cover, Ebay Levers, Ebay Risers, Custom Bars.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #13 on: 12 July, 2020, 04:32:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Luddfooter [+]
I cannot say for certain only in third at 9RPM, I'm still experimenting with the issue. It doesn't feel like a slipping clutch, its more like a sudden jolt like the chain has jumped on the sprocket (which as I've mentioned above isn't, it just feels like it is and seems to be the only way of describing how it feels).  :187: :087:
Hope you know, we are guessing and trying to help.   

SO  a video with sound would be really fantastic. I don't like the jolt word.
That does sound concerning.

For another odd suggestion or question. When was last oil change.

I had issues with the clutch if the oil was toast. Depending on riding could happen at 2 k or 3 k miles
You might be one of the first to (lucky) with this condition. Start with the easy stuff, oil, clutch adjustment.
Confirm the chain has proper slack.

Also a couple of pictures or rear sprocket couldn't hurt.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline Luddfooter

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #14 on: 12 July, 2020, 06:11:06 AM »
All your suggestions are much appreciated and I will be investigating again once I finish my run of weekend nights. From a maintenance point of view, I changed the oil and filter 1000 miles ago, I run a Scottoiler and the chain and sprockets are in fine fettle and adjustment. I also considered whether I had engaged the gear adequately and ensured I had last time and it still occurred. 

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #15 on: 12 July, 2020, 12:30:29 PM »
Is the scottoiler eloctronic or the vacuum type?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Luddfooter

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #16 on: 16 July, 2020, 08:47:04 AM »
The Scottoiler is an electronic one. This morning thought Id try it in road mode rather than my usual sport mode default setting. So, this time 6th gear 4000rpm and it did it! So not just third gear high revs afterall...🙄