Author Topic: Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Callamity

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: TS 2018
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Re: Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE
Reply #10 on: 22 October, 2020, 11:32:29 AM
Forgive a mild cynicism but I think tyres are a bit like fishing gear - catches more anglers than fish!

So, quality tyres...... Pirelli and its subsidiary Metzeler are maybe better thought of as brands rather than truly independent manufacturers.  These multinationals maximise profits by sharing R&D where they can and modest changes in compound and tread patterns give you two tyre ranges at mildly different price points.   I bet a Maxxis is pretty good but less durable and has zero street cred.

Of course a new tyre, once scrubbed in, feels better than the old one of whatever brand but I doubt most us would detect major differences in a side by side test that you couldn’t surmise from slight profile differences.

I am maybe backing my own prejudices but I replaced an Angel ST with a dual compound GT for improvements in longevity.  I looked at all the ‘better’ options but it looked like a bar room brag about chicken strips.  You only find ‘ultimate’ grip on a smooth race track or by flying through a hedge.......if you are that lucky.

Online mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Reply #11 on: 22 October, 2020, 04:06:21 PM
*Originally Posted by Callamity [+]
Forgive a mild cynicism but I think tyres are a bit like fishing gear - catches more anglers than fish!
You only find ‘ultimate’ grip on a smooth race track or by flying through a hedge.......if you are that lucky.
  :0461:
I lived and rode my first motorcycle in a place where it was common to use cactus as hedge or "crash barrier"

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Reply #12 on: 22 October, 2020, 04:29:43 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Callamity

• Tiger Member
Reply #13 on: 22 October, 2020, 07:05:00 PM
I went through a hedge one night in 1973 after hitting gravel that no tyre would have gripped.  My abiding memory is of feeling it was all happening in slo-mo and the firework display my bike made ahead of me.  Ruined my Levi’s but gave my belt battle scars.  Wiser now but dead boring - apparently.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
Reply #14 on: 22 October, 2020, 07:42:39 PM
I went through a hedge one night in 1973 after hitting gravel that no tyre would have gripped.  My abiding memory is of feeling it was all happening in slo-mo and the firework display my bike made ahead of me.  Ruined my Levi’s but gave my belt battle scars.  Wiser now but dead boring - apparently.

If you don't like what people are discussing, just carry on past, don't stop to give a lecture. Anybody who's been happy with Angel ST's, should not be doing that.

Offline Callamity

• Tiger Member
Reply #15 on: 22 October, 2020, 08:12:35 PM
Lecturing?  Gently pointing out Pirelli and Metzeler are the same business and the dangers of kidology?

No, lecturing would be giving you the whole 9 yds of marketing ploys and business bullshit to maximise shareholder value.  Or pretending I am still a gladiator.

Offline Kevmax

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 1050
Reply #16 on: 22 October, 2020, 08:31:53 PM
What’s the story with the Angel ST? Are the a decent tyre? I have a new set in the shed. I had the 01s and found them very good as I said in previous post. 
Got the Angels ST at a good price 

Offline Callamity

• Tiger Member
Reply #17 on: 22 October, 2020, 08:50:35 PM
https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Pirelli/Angel-ST.htm

Good enough but not the best.  I think they wear fast at the end but for £95 .....?  They are the OEM figment.

Offline Kevmax

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger 1050
Reply #18 on: 22 October, 2020, 09:18:05 PM
That’s what I taught. Ill give them a lash when we’re back out of lockdown. The 01s are a class tyre but for €100 the STs are worth a whirl. I do long straight road commute and it bugs me when I flatten off such a good tyre.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
Reply #19 on: 23 October, 2020, 09:13:59 AM
Lecturing?  Gently pointing out Pirelli and Metzeler are the same business and the dangers of kidology?

You thought that wasn't common knowledge.  :087:

If you do a search back a few years, you might see what bad reviews were given on here for the Angel ST's, for various reasons they were not popular, maybe they just didn't suit the TS. Many of us binned them early on, those that didn't said the last couple of mm would vanish in one ride. I don't know about that, I binned mine half worn with no confidence in the wet. The GT was supposedly a huge improvement.

This thread has now drifted way  :451:

reconstruction