Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?



Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bolts dropping out  (Read 2481 times)

bigdeddie and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online af1-windy

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 300
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
  • Country: England
Re: Bolts dropping out
« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2020, 04:08:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
I was looking at that on-line yesterday, looks good site.

I'll let you know on Monday  :084:

Online Woodie

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • *
  • Posts: 172
  • MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) is a thing innit?
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
  • Country: UK
Re: Bolts dropping out
« Reply #11 on: 14 July, 2020, 10:59:03 PM »
I had a number of GS500's and they were notorious for rusting the header studs in place and snapping off when doing any header work. Every one got replaced with Allen Head Stainless bolts even the one whose studs hadn't rust welded themselves in.

can't see it being a problem so long as the bolts aren't so long they bottom out.

I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

Offline Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7714
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: Bolts dropping out
« Reply #12 on: 15 July, 2020, 08:33:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Woodie [+]
I had a number of GS500's and they were notorious for rusting the header studs in place and snapping off when doing any header work. Every one got replaced with Allen Head Stainless bolts even the one whose studs hadn't rust welded themselves in.

can't see it being a problem so long as the bolts aren't so long they bottom out.

Doesn't stainless bolts in alloy cause galling.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Sidewinder

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 580
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
  • Country: UK
Re: Bolts dropping out
« Reply #13 on: 15 July, 2020, 11:15:37 AM »
Only if you generate excessive friction/heat when screwing them in/out.  Standard/coarse threads are also less affected, clean threads and a touch of lubricant will further mitigate it.

Offline Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7714
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: Bolts dropping out
« Reply #14 on: 15 July, 2020, 12:09:57 PM »
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Sidewinder

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 580
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
  • Country: UK
Re: Bolts dropping out
« Reply #15 on: 15 July, 2020, 02:33:23 PM »
A good explanation of why stainless fasteners in ally castings/large parts (like our engines) is generally not a  problem where galvanic corrosion is concerned.

Offline Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7714
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: Bolts dropping out
« Reply #16 on: 15 July, 2020, 02:45:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
A good explanation of why stainless fasteners in ally castings/large parts (like our engines) is generally not a  problem where galvanic corrosion is concerned.

I read it as a No-No. An extract;-"However, in most situations the environment is not temperature and humidity controlled, rust will occur. Due to this, Albany County Fasteners recommends never using aluminum and stainless steel together".

Does any manufacturer fit st/st bolts into alloy castings? AFAIK Triumph don't fit ST/ST bolts into alloy in any situation.

It's an interesting one 'cos I've seen a lot of owners of old bikes fit st/st screws in the side cases. They are usually liberally coated with copper grease & only nipped with a screwdriver.

« Last Edit: 15 July, 2020, 02:58:28 PM by Paul2bikes »
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Sidewinder

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 580
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
  • Country: UK
Re: Bolts dropping out
« Reply #17 on: 15 July, 2020, 03:19:25 PM »
Almost all the exterior bolts in my Tiger's engine are SS, all factory original.

In your example they're not talking about fixings, more like actual parts of differing materials next to each other.  Eg. I seem to recall that old model Land Rovers had problems cos they used ally and steel chassis/body parts fixed to each other and the ally parts rotted cos of galvanic corrosion.

Re-read the 'exceptions' 2nd paragraph bit about anode and cathode relative sizes.  Our engines are a large block of alloy with small SS fixings - this is a 'good' way round in terms of reducing galvanic effects, add a touch of lubricant to the threads (i use waxoyl) and you minimise the risk further (as mentioned in article).
« Last Edit: 15 July, 2020, 03:26:02 PM by Sidewinder »

Online Tigermike

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Posts: 1811
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Bolts dropping out
« Reply #18 on: 15 July, 2020, 06:38:59 PM »
The aircraft industry use stainless steel fixings in ally and to get round the galvanic corrosion of dissimilar metals by cadmium plating with a clear passivation over the top.
Also any S/S parts that come into contact with aluminium are also cad and pass.
All aluminium parts are also coated with alochrom or alodine to prevent aluminium corrosion.
With cadmium and chromium being harmful to us humans i think they are trying to phase it out and go over to other types of coatings and plating.
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7714
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: Bolts dropping out
« Reply #19 on: 16 July, 2020, 03:48:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
Almost all the exterior bolts in my Tiger's engine are SS, all factory original.

That's odd, there's none in mine & hasn't been in any my other Triumphs over the past 26 years. Maybe a PO fitted them?

*Originally Posted by Tigermike [+]
The aircraft industry use stainless steel fixings in ally and to get round the galvanic corrosion of dissimilar metals by cadmium plating with a clear passivation over the top.
Also any S/S parts that come into contact with aluminium are also cad and pass.
All aluminium parts are also coated with alochrom or alodine to prevent aluminium corrosion.
With cadmium and chromium being harmful to us humans i think they are trying to phase it out and go over to other types of coatings and plating.

Hmmm, I worked at Airbus for several years, all the interference fit fasteners used on the wings were Titanium, unfortunately all UNF threads.

Cadmium plating in Engineering? I thought it was banned over 20 years ago.

We live & learn eh.

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci