Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CHAIN LENGHT AND BRAND CHOICES ?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Quique Cabrera

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2013
  • City / Town: San Luis Potosi
CHAIN LENGHT AND BRAND CHOICES ?
« on: 18 June, 2020, 06:31:55 PM »
Hello:

Im planning  to replace the chain of my bike, It has 37500 kms on it and it seems to be in perfect shape,  I revised the rear sprocket an it is in  excellent conditions too, I have cleaned and lubricated the chain every three monts , thats  why I guess it looks still fine.
I want to replace only the chain and keep using the same sprockets unless I can buy a set of chain and sprockets at a good price.

What is the lenght of the chain and what brands can you recommend me to buy? the bike has 530 x120 links with 18 and 45 teeth sprockets since new.

best regards !

« Last Edit: 18 June, 2020, 07:35:28 PM by Quique Cabrera »
Active motorcyclist since 1990 and counting......

Offline VALDEMS

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050 2015
  • City / Town: Veracruz
Re: CHAIN LENGHT AND BRAND CHOICES ?
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2020, 03:43:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Quique Cabrera [+]
Hello:

Im planning  to replace the chain of my bike, It has 37500 kms on it and it seems to be in perfect shape,  I revised the rear sprocket an it is in  excellent conditions too, I have cleaned and lubricated the chain every three monts , thats  why I guess it looks still fine.
I want to replace only the chain and keep using the same sprockets unless I can buy a set of chain and sprockets at a good price.

What is the lenght of the chain and what brands can you recommend me to buy? the bike has 530 x120 links with 18 and 45 teeth sprockets since new.

best regards !

Hi Bro

I  just went through that situation. My chain was "twisted" and it no longer allowed me to tighten it since one part was too loose and the other too tight, that led me to decide to change it. I Inspected the sprockets and looks in good shape, so I decided go for a new Chain "medium quality" and save money for the complete kit Sprockets/Chain (clarifying that I live in Mexico and the delivery time is 35-45 days buying through ebay).

First mistake, I checked the manual and it said the chain size is 530-114, then to be sure, checked the Kits I saw on ebay and the same, Sprockets 18/45 and 530-114 chain, so I bought a D.ID. chain 530-116 to remove 2 links. I cut the original to remove it and ... oh surprise ... it was too short even with 2 more links. :173: :173:
I counted the links and there were indeed 120. I did not find a variety of brands in 530-120 so I bought the same as the original, RK Takasago Chain w O rings. I also see a Regina Chain, but it was pretty more expensive.

My question now will be to find only the sprockets without the chain since the 530-114 will not work.

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2020, 05:50:16 PM »
It's almost always a bad idea to replace either sprockets or chains without doing them all. There is matching wear that you cannot see and a new component will wear the other parts much faster. This is old advice from many experienced people...

Offline turtle

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2020, 06:56:05 PM »
I agree with Zulu Tiger's comments.  I would replace chain and sprockets as a set, not just the chain.  I used Triumph stuff, which resolves any concerns about determining the right length, chain type, etc, even though vendors should be able to give you the correct parts for the Tiger 1050. 

Your mileage on the current chain/sprockets is not excessive.  If everything is in good condition like you say, if the sprockets aren't "shark toothing", and if the chain is within the wear limits outlined in the service manual, you should be able to keep riding and save your money so you can replace everything after a few thousand more km's.
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2020, 07:43:21 PM »
I always change the front sprocket at about half the expected life of a well maintained chain. This will reduce friction, wear and increase the life of all final drive components.  For about max 20 you can get a excellent quality JT SPROCKET JTF1180 front sprocket.
Triumph centerstand, engine guards & heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack, DLM36 panniers, SR6404 topbox rack with M9B plate, V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator & oil cooler guards, ExtendaFenda, Pyramid hugger extension, Puig touring Screen with spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount,  Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch & brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Lust Racing 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini 3 volt/temp/time

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2020, 08:02:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by mustangpilot [+]
I always change the front sprocket at about half the expected life of a well maintained chain. This will reduce friction, wear and increase the life of all final drive components.  For about max 20 you can get a excellent quality JT SPROCKET JTF1180 front sprocket.

I do same, change front sprocket at about 15k miles then the whole kit at 30k - 33K miles when chain gets loose/tight spots.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
« Reply #6 on: 07 August, 2020, 08:14:29 PM »
And every 4000-5000 miles remove and clean the inside of the front sprocket cover. The amount of old chain grease filled with dirt and pebbles will surprise you  :005:
« Last Edit: 07 August, 2020, 08:18:33 PM by mustangpilot »
Triumph centerstand, engine guards & heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack, DLM36 panniers, SR6404 topbox rack with M9B plate, V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator & oil cooler guards, ExtendaFenda, Pyramid hugger extension, Puig touring Screen with spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount,  Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch & brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Lust Racing 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini 3 volt/temp/time

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2020, 01:31:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by mustangpilot [+]
And every 4000-5000 miles remove and clean the inside of the front sprocket cover. The amount of old chain grease filled with dirt and pebbles will surprise you  :005:

:0461:

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #8 on: 08 August, 2020, 07:18:32 PM »
That ^^^ is right, I clean mine out every 3k miles as part of my minor service, oil & filter, brake calipers etc. Typical mess every time. I have a Scottoiler fitted.

Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2020, 07:24:08 AM »
I just got 28k miles out of a set of JD sprockets and DID chain.  All in the standard sizes for Tiger Sport.  Probably could have got longer from it but I changed it for the comfort factor.  A Scottoiler makes these parts last forever with zero effort, in that 28k miles (45k km) I adjusted it no more than 5 times, and never need to clean or lube it manually.  The oil removes the dirt for you, so its just the sprocket cover that needs cleaning out as Paul2bikes shows in his post.   Grubby job, but easy.

You can buy bike-specific sets of chains and sprockets easily from eBay - just make sure you recognise the sellers name, and/or they have a huge feedback score to avoid buying fakes.   Think I paid around 110 for a set of all three parts, and fitted myself.   JT sprockets are fine, DID chain is up there with the best you can buy.  The previous set was a cheapie put on by a garage, it was wrecked to the point of being dangerous in 11k miles, so the parts you choose can make a big difference in service life.