Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Road 5's and punctures.  (Read 875 times)

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Re: Road 5's and punctures.
« Reply #20 on: 06 June, 2020, 09:25:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Freddy [+]
This is what I call a puncture:

A friend's 1400GTR/C14.

Was that really something he ran over?   Looks like it was shot in with a nail gun!!

Offline spope1970

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 08'&09' 1050 tigers
  • City / Town: Blythewood
« Reply #21 on: 06 June, 2020, 11:33:10 AM »
This is what I call a puncture:

A friend's 1400GTR/C14.
Wait! Just so I am not the only one seeing this. Is that sticking all the way thru the rim or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
 :005: :005: :005:

Looks more like a railroad spike than a nail!

Offline HertsTiger

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger ABS
  • City / Town: St Albans
« Reply #22 on: 06 June, 2020, 12:39:35 PM »
Collectively we might have summed up the factors involved.

Regionality - reasonably dense around these parts with lots of urban roads and builders vans by the score. Seems every third house has work being done at times.

Popularity - Stands to reason the more in use the more will get punctured, and they're not a cheap tyre so understandably folk want to repair rather than replace if possible.

Routes - Congested roads tempting us onto lesser used parts of the tarmac where the debris lies in wait.

I found some conjecture on the UK GS forum about lack of steel belt and angle of the sipes being contributing factors but not sure thats peculiar enough to the R'5s to be a factor.

Personally I'm holding fire on the change for a bit. My flat rear M7 turned out to be an existing plug that had started leaking quite rapidly. Yesterday I managed to push it through and effect a 'laces' type repair. Hopefully that will hold long enough to get my radiator repaired and back on the road and see if anything else goes wrong. :114:

Been using the FJ for work this week. Rolled it out the way to get at the Tiger yesterday and found this beauty on the garage floor. Could only have come in pinched in the sipes.

Steve

Offline Freddy

• Tiger God
« Reply #23 on: 06 June, 2020, 12:59:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by spope1970 [+]
Wait! Just so I am not the only one seeing this. Is that sticking all the way thru the rim or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
 :005: :005: :005:

Looks more like a railroad spike than a nail!

Yep, clean thru the rear rim.   :005:  It happened about 3 months ago.  He said he knew something wasn't quite right even before the TPMS alarm went red.    :008:
« Last Edit: 06 June, 2020, 01:11:22 PM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is ........what?

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #24 on: 06 June, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »
Always see nails & screws in the crud before & after bollards.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline spope1970

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 08'&09' 1050 tigers
  • City / Town: Blythewood
« Reply #25 on: 06 June, 2020, 03:03:24 PM »
Yep, clean thru the rear rim.   :005:  It happened about 3 months ago.  He said he knew something wasn't quite right even before the TPMS alarm went red.    :008:
Looks allot like a marlin spike.

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #26 on: 06 June, 2020, 05:48:17 PM »
 :005: not had a puncture as bad as that but picked up a screw in the back tyre of the 1st set of PR2's in November 2018

and then a puncture in the rear tyre of a Road 5 last year after 6500 miles. the hole was in the sipes but was nothing stuck in the tyre when it was removed from the rim, replaced it with a PR4 & had the R5 plugged & its back on the bike again after the PR4 wore out. has done another 3k since & is wearing well.

« Last Edit: 06 June, 2020, 05:51:17 PM by Tigermike »
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline sax_000

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE '12
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #27 on: 07 June, 2020, 12:25:39 AM »
Many years ago I had a BMW K1100RS which I rode to & from work.  I had an unbelievable number of rear tyre punctures: nails, screws, thick end of plastic combs (more of those than anything else!).
Probably about 20 punctures in three years.  I decided the bike was really a bit big for what I was using it for and replaced it with a Yamaha TDM850.  Not a single puncture in three years of riding exactly the same roads as the K1100RS.

I'm convinced it was a function of the extremely long wheelbase of the BM compared to the very short wheelbase of the Yam.  The detritus was "stood up" by the front tyre but the Yam's rear tyre arrived at the scene-of-the -crime BEFORE the object had reached "puncturing angle" whereas the BM's rear tyre arrived at just the "right time" to do maximum damage.

Well, that's my two bobs worth anyway.

Seeya

Saxo