Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Porkchop33 from Columbus, OH!  (Read 325 times)

Offline Porkchop33

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: 2008 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Columbus
Porkchop33 from Columbus, OH!
« on: 04 June, 2020, 05:10:44 PM »
Hello all!   :158:

Thanks for having me.  My name is Adam and I'm from Columbus, Ohio.  New 2008 1050 owner as of Saturday.  Owned a few bikes in the past.  Started on a 1984 VF500F Interceptor, moved to a 2001 R6, then a 2006 Ninja 636 (which is now being turned into a track bike for next year), then a 2011 Monster 696 (chosen over a Street Triple... i know i know  :164:).  Ran into some cash issues and sold my beloved Duc years ago.  Gained a fiance that didn't like motorcycles, and took an unfortunate 5 year break from riding.  The fiance decided to go away last year, so I decided it was time to get back on the horse.  I got a new job that is a 30-35 minute highway ride so I wanted something that would be comfortable and with bags.  I was really wanting an MT-10 but can't spend 9 grand right now, and the gas mileage isn't fantastic.  Looked at FZ6, FZ1, FJ-09, Versys, 990 SMT, VFR1200F, GSXS1000F, Tiger 1050, Tiger 800, even ZRX1200R. 

Randomly saw this bike posted on Cycle Trader and was intrigued at it's very low price.  She's definitely been ridden long distances at almost 50k, and she's had a couple bumps and bruises.  The dealership sent me detailed pictures of all her bumps and I didn't see anything too bad other than some small paint chips on the tank that just need some clear coat touch-up.  Was told she was a trade in at a Harley dealership and they grabbed her cheap.  She was 6 hours away, so me and the new girlfriend packed into the car and drove down to KY.  Took a test ride and really loved the bike. Got back to the dealership and did a quick inspection and everything seemed kosher.  Was a nice surprise to find out that she has the factory heated grips and the center stand!  Rode her all the way back to Cincy before stopping for the night.  Boy does this motor work like nothing I've ridden before.  It builds power light a locomotive, I almost expected it to be more revvy like a liter sized inline 4.  Noticed a few little TLC issues and niggles that I will have to address, but she was an absolute champ.

#1 - The low beam bulb is burnt out.  Not a huge issue, as I have read for years these stock headlights are hot garbage.  Will probably do the HID swap while I have to crack the headlights. Does anybody recommend a kit?
#2 - Major wind buffeting with the stock screen.  Boy was it really windy on the way home and I was getting bobbleheaded like crazy at 70+.  I'm 6'1", so the dirty wind was hitting me right about nose height.  Made for a tiring 6 hours.
#3 - Legs were way more cramped than I would have imagined for this bike.  I am starting to wonder if I have the factory low gel seat?  Does anybody know how to verify?  I might try to grab the tall gel seat online to remedy!
#4 - Possible that the fork seal on the right side needs replaced...
#5 - The most concerning issue is the morning that we woke up in Cincy, I found a small oil spot the size of a golf ball on the left side of the bike.  It almost seems like its coming from the top of the stator cover where the stator wire comes through the rubber grommet. I watched a guy on Youtube remove and repaint his cover, so it seems like it doesn't seem like it is that big of a deal to remove the cover, inspect the rubber grommet, and replace the gasket.  It looks like the previous owner may have tried to take a shortcut and jb weld the grommet instead of trying to replace it???  I'm decently good at wrenching so I feel like I can knock this out at the same time as doing an oil change.  Are those stator wire rubber grommets easy to replace?
#6 - Bags missing the colored covers? Might just leave as is....

Thanks for all the future help and I'm glad to be a Tiger owner!!!  :031:

« Last Edit: 04 June, 2020, 05:16:42 PM by Porkchop33 »

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050 now KTM 1290SAS
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
Re: Porkchop33 from Columbus, OH!
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2020, 06:30:04 PM »
 :405:
Well hope you got it cheap as it is pretty tatty but as long as the motor is strong the other stuff can be sorted  :028:
 :031:

Offline Porkchop33

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2020, 07:02:38 PM »
Definitely cheap.  It was already cheap and then I talked them down another $600.  Motor feels great.  I figure I can get headlights, screen, and stator grommet sorted for far under that extra $600 I talked down...

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2020, 08:51:53 PM »
 :401: Porkchop,  she's a little tatty round the edges but easily remidied  :028:
With the stator cover, my thoughts would be to get a new metal gasket, clean off the excess sealant from the rubber grommet as it shouldn't be there.
You shouldn't need a new rubber grommet unless it's been cut or has had a lump taken out.  :087: hopefully that hasn't happened as I am not sure if it can be replaced without fitting a new Stator....
Remove the cover with the bike on the centre stand as you will only lose a spoon full of oil, clean up both faces, fit a new gasket and torque up the bolts to 9 Nm.
There are several screens you can fit or a clip on aerofoil.
Good luck with your farkling. . .  :031:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2020, 03:51:44 AM »
 :401:   Do some prowling on eBay. Might find some infill panels. And other bits  :028:    :031:

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2020, 11:01:40 PM »
If your oil is coming from that location.  I would guess the new stator was NOT installed correctly. 
That location needs to have a degreaser like brake clean along with the wire.
I would get new gasket, clean out that mess, spray down with brake cleaner on case and wire.
Apply some to the sides making sure it covers in the bump up and on wire. Insert wire in bump up and fill with silicone. Install with new gasket and torque per manual in at least 2 stages to final torque.
Should fix leak
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline varnerju

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Holland, MI
« Reply #6 on: 08 June, 2020, 02:52:13 PM »
 :401:

Congrats on the nice find. As long as the motor is sound, yep, you've got a good one to clean up a bit, and of course we are biased here, but it is a GREAT bike!

I don't have any leads on a HID kit, but mine had that installed when I bought it and I still find it less than great. Others have done LED and had success with a bit of modifying and whatnot, but I've added aux lights that solved night time for me.

As for the wind, everyone has a different opinion about which screen is best. I know some have even gone as far as to remove the screen entirely. At least that reduced the buffeting you will experience.

That gasket is part of the wiring on the stator, if you are going to pull the cover to inspect, take a good look at the windings. Mine gave out after 50K miles, but I had also ridden through some desert conditions, possibly helping the thing prematurely burn out.

Haven't seen infill panels for the panniers very readily, but make sure you get the mounting screws and grommets if you look on Ebay. If you go the route of a top box, I have a white infill panel for you.

And since you are close by, post of your adventures and maybe I will steal your ideas for a ride of my own some day. And of course, pictures help! Looks like you are well aware of that from your initial post!
 :405:

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #7 on: 08 June, 2020, 03:42:26 PM »
 :401: & Congrats.

The seat looks standard. Do check the bike doesn't have a lowering kit installed  :187:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline Porkchop33

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #8 on: 08 June, 2020, 08:33:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies all.   :031:

I went to Iron Pony here in Columbus and picked up Amsoil, a genuine Triumph filter, coolant, and gasket grease.  My other Triumph dealership has the stator gasket in stock but are closed today.  I'm going tomorrow to pick that up.  I watched quite a few videos on cleaning the mating surfaces and replacing the gasket.  Seems pretty straight forward as long as that rubber grommet isn't damaged for some reason.

I might just say heck with the bag infill panels, that honestly doesn't bother me.  If I don't want to go HID, is there a specific brand of replacement headlight bulbs that people like?  I probably won't do a TON of night riding, so I just want something that puts out a little more light.  I'll probably go shorter with the screen, something like the PowerBronze sport screen.  Being in clean wind doesn't bother me like being in turbulent wind does.  I could always do a tall Madstad down the road for winter riding...  :190:

I'll keep the pictures flowing as I disassemble it tomorrow!

Thanks!