Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: SSSA Chain Adjustment  (Read 510 times)

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
SSSA Chain Adjustment
« on: 03 June, 2020, 09:14:33 PM »
I am embarrassed to say that after hearing the chain slapping, I thought it was time to adjust it. Hasn't ever been adjusted by me, so I had to look it up.

That 5 minute job took just 5 minutes which has to be a first  :028:

Just one easily accessible nut to loosen and then yank the lever anti-clockwise before doing the nut back up tight.

Coolant flush and bottle expansion bottle clean is next. How hard can it be  :164: 
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
Re: SSSA Chain Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2020, 11:06:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
Just one easily accessible nut to loosen and then yank the lever anti-clockwise before doing the nut back up tight.

Coolant flush and bottle expansion bottle clean is next. How hard can it be  :164:

You can make the chain adjustment even nicer with a C spanner like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Chain-Tension-Adjusting-C-Spanner-Triumph-Speed-Triple-Daytona-Steel/322810531270?hash=item4b2901cdc6:g:hI4AAOSwaOpbmoR-

Coolant flush is a piece of cake, just need to remove the two bleed screws and the bottom hose and poke a hose in. Also worth having something to suck out what ever's left in the bottom part of the radiator as the connection stub where you drain from isn't at the bottom. I used a brake bleeder, but I guess a syringe and piece of flexy pipe would do.
I took the exp bottle out and gave it a good wash through.
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2020, 11:17:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
I am embarrassed to say that after hearing the chain slapping, I thought it was time to adjust it. Hasn't ever been adjusted by me, so I had to look it up.

That 5 minute job took just 5 minutes which has to be a first  :028:

Easy as long as you do it fairly regularly. Never had a problem with the standard tool.
Hmmm best go and check mine, not being done quiet as often now I'm not doing 500+ miles per week  :164:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2020, 01:43:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dusty ST [+]
Coolant flush is a piece of cake, just need to remove the two bleed screws and the bottom hose and poke a hose in. Also worth having something to suck out what ever's left in the bottom part of the radiator as the connection stub where you drain from isn't at the bottom. I used a brake bleeder, but I guess a syringe and piece of flexy pipe would do.
I took the exp bottle out and gave it a good wash through.
:0461: just time consuming - drain old.. fill up with distilled water & vinegar.. warm bike up .. drain - then repeat until flush is clean, then remove exp bottle & clean, not an easy job getting it off or removing the brown gunk from the bottom of it  :110:
takes a couple of hours if you have to do more than 1 flush.. but a satisfying job to see the results  :152:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2020, 11:17:03 PM »
Thanks guys. I find the OEM tool nice and easy to use.

I'm hoping I have caught the coolant early enough to avoid the brown sludge issue with my 2007/08 Tiger.
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2020, 07:42:05 AM »
Handful of old nuts and bolts in the bottle and shake, gets rid of all the old brown gunk
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2020, 09:02:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Handful of old nuts and bolts in the bottle and shake, gets rid of all the old brown gunk

Never thought of that. I used a water plaster on my 2007/08 Tiger  :031:

Offline Kev51

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »
Yellow Dog
A little trick I did with my chain adjuster OEM tool was to drill a hole through the neck when the tool was assembled and put a small cable tie through the hole.
This kept the tool together whilst you are adjusting the chain.
When finished, just simply snap off the tie and place tool bits back in seat pouch. I keep a few spare ties in the pouch if needed on the road.
Kev

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2020, 11:59:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kev51 [+]
Yellow Dog
A little trick I did with my chain adjuster OEM tool was to drill a hole through the neck when the tool was assembled and put a small cable tie through the hole.
This kept the tool together whilst you are adjusting the chain.
When finished, just simply snap off the tie and place tool bits back in seat pouch. I keep a few spare ties in the pouch if needed on the road.
Kev

Sounds good. I guess I was just lucky as it worked first time.

I watched a Youtube video so pulled it the right way first time. My instincts said clockwise, which was incorrect  :182:

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: now bikeless
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
« Reply #9 on: 07 June, 2020, 12:29:02 PM »
Easy to work out the spindle needs to move away from the s'arm pivot,
so the spindle is at the top as you have turned anti clockwise
anyone turned theirs over for more ground clearance, it was a common mod in the old GPZ days