Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Aftermarket Fork springs Recommendations  (Read 281 times)

Offline Zevk

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE 2012
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Aftermarket Fork springs Recommendations
« on: 28 May, 2020, 01:25:09 PM »
I am considering purchasing A set of:

hyperpro front springs for my 2012 1050se

wanted to ask you how they compare to stock?

I find the bike wallows in fast Downhill turns And is not a plush ride up front Generally

I weigh 95 kg

Mostly Twisty, touring type riding at brisk Pace
New Michelin pilot 5
No pillion
Stock suspension With Front compression Nearly maxed out

Thanks in advance

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Aftermarket Fork springs Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2020, 02:08:34 PM »
What about the rear? That'll affect the behaviour of the front also.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2020, 03:30:23 PM »
I have a 16 sport so YMMV but...

I was pretty underwhelmed when I upgraded my springs. Turns out the standard valves are shockingly bad with almost nothing between fully open (no damping) and fully closed (feels like you are riding on a piece of wood). When I upgraded the valves things got a lot better, and I realised the stock springs were not actually not as bad as I assumed once they had a bit of help from the oil in there. 
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2020, 05:09:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]

I was pretty underwhelmed when I upgraded my springs. Turns out the standard valves are shockingly bad with almost nothing between fully open (no damping) and fully closed (feels like you are riding on a piece of wood). When I upgraded the valves things got a lot better, and I realised the stock springs were not actually not as bad as I assumed once they had a bit of help from the oil in there.
So where is the critical point for the rebound (or compression) adjustment on the std valves, think you?  At the nearly fully-closed end?

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2020, 05:30:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]

Looking back I have to agree really having bought your spare set Sean.  I did speak to Hyperpro about their springs and the guy seriously dissuaded me from going with Linear for a road bike?
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2020, 06:37:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
So where is the critical point for the rebound (or compression) adjustment on the std valves, think you?  At the nearly fully-closed end?
For normal riding almost fully closed (i.e. wide open  :745:). In London fully closed because the bike bounced about so much on those delightful roads without damping I was worried about bouncing into cars while filtering. That meant that on a few sections I actually had to get onto the pegs and off the seat to save my back and teeth.

Ok, ok it wasn't actually that bad, but I did have a hard time holding my line on corners because the front was all over the place.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.