Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hot starting  (Read 312 times)

Offline bing

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2016 tiger 1050 sport
  • City / Town: Broughty ferry
Hot starting
« on: 28 May, 2020, 11:09:06 AM »
Has anyone on the forum genuinely found out the cause of hot starting problems and if so what did they do to remedy the problem ,

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Hot starting
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2020, 11:29:23 AM »
In my case ...No.

Most heavy-duty battery you can get.

Engineer in a decompressor lever (probably not practical ...  :003: ).

Offline bing

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2020, 11:42:25 AM »
I have put on a new heavy duty battery last week and its just the same  :015: your possibly right a decompressor would be the answer but alas if I cant sort this problem out its bye bye triumph .

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2020, 02:06:49 PM »
What did you put on? And do you have an alarm fitted?

Unfortunately, it's usually necessary to keep the bike on a trickle charger, even with new batteries.

Offline Freddy

• Tiger God
« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2020, 02:33:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by bing [+]
Has anyone on the forum genuinely found out the cause of hot starting problems and if so what did they do to remedy the problem ,

Yes.  Short answer- some 1050 engines in excellent condition have a slightly higher compression pressure when hot than others so that the starter motor cannot always do it's job.  When stalled on a hill or at lights it will no start, causing the rider to dismount and push it off the road until it cools for say 10 minutes.  It is also usually somewhat intermittent.  There is no remedy other than to get a different bike.

Here's the looooong answer:     :005:

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,34436.0.html
« Last Edit: 28 May, 2020, 02:39:17 PM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is ........what?

Offline bing

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2020, 03:26:35 PM »
Nice one fella having read your previous post your explanation seems the best , so sadly I think it will have to go even though I think the engine is superb in the torque department . :028:

Offline sax_000

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE '12
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #6 on: 28 May, 2020, 10:04:07 PM »
I had this problem (intermittently) on my '12 SE. BTW, never had the problem in 5 years & 85,000kms on my '07.

Apart from the usual "YTZ14S fix" the only other thing I did was fit the Stoltec HD cables which also meant correctly tightening the main Earth connector on top of the gearbox.

Since then (probably 5 years), no problems.  BUT I also havn't ridden the bike on stinking-hot days which is when the problem occurred previously.

Saxo

Offline Freddy

• Tiger God
« Reply #7 on: 28 May, 2020, 10:40:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by bing [+]
Nice one fella having read your previous post your explanation seems the best , so sadly I think it will have to go even though I think the engine is superb in the torque department . :028:

That was my son's bike you would have noticed.  We had so much fun riding together over about 7 or 8 years on month long rides across/around Australia, he on the Tiger and me on a 1400GTR.  But after fitting the costly starter gear set & sprag clutch kit it was no better.  It was a very troublesome bike with a few major issues but it went like a rocket.  It failed to re-start once too often when he stalled it on a hill with traffic behind him.  He sold it for a Honda VFR1200X. 

:031:
The best substitute for brains is ........what?