Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front Right Fork Leg (High Mileage Tigers)  (Read 799 times)

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) is a thing innit?
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
Front Right Fork Leg (High Mileage Tigers)
« on: 31 March, 2020, 08:02:02 AM »
I haven't seen anything here about this so I thought I'd post this.

While doing a fork seal change I noticed some damage to the top right hand fork leg.

Where the clutch cable passes round the head stock it has rubbed against the alloy tube and left a wear mark.

it is so deep it has worn through the outer soft alloy to the inner surface that has been annealed/hardened, you can see from the attached photo where the colour changes in the groove.

this must be a common problem as the s/h fork leg I managed to find also had a wear mark but not as pronounced. I'm going to wrap the fork leg in some rubber tubbing to prevent further damage.
« Last Edit: 31 March, 2020, 08:06:48 AM by Woodie »
I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Front Right Fork Leg (High Mileage Tigers)
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2020, 08:16:15 AM »
Never seen this before, but I do recall a Tech Bulletin coming out for the Sports to check on clutch cable routing, but from my bad memory think that was more to do with it contacting the steering lock/switch?
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2020, 11:30:49 AM »
The gold is anodising which is a (albeit very thin) hard wear resistant coating.  There won't be a 'soft' layer as ally tube like this will be homogeneous all the way through and of a high strength Al alloy.  Note, high 'strength' does not necessarily equate to high wear resistance - hence the anodising.

Saying something has been annealed/hardened makes no sense as the two conditions are polar opposite.

What's the condition of the cable??

Online gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2020, 12:14:06 PM »
I've read in the past that early Tigers had clutch cables that were slightly shorter which led to the plastic cable guide snapping, allowing the cable to rub the fork tube and radiator. Once the rubber outer cable casing is worn off, the exposed spiral wound core becomes a cable saw. Caused holes in a couple radiators. Check that your cable guide(s) are in place and if the inner core is exposed, heat shrink tubing might be used to cover the area.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Woodie

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) is a thing innit?
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2020, 04:23:19 PM »
I am sorry, I thought having found this I would be public spirited and mention it.
To me it was a safety concern but obviously its just an opportunity to open myself to know-alls.

1)   Annealed/Hardened sorry not an engineer and couldnt remember which was which.
2)   Anodised.. YUP I know thats the colour coating used to prevent oxidisation
3)   If you look at the photo you can see in the middle of the worst of the damage there is an area where the metal changes colour, that led me to believe the inner surface of the tube would be treated to reduce wear or friction.
4)   The depth of the rub is at least 1 1.5mm, not obvious from the angle of the photo I took
5)   As I mentioned the replacement leg was also marked in the same place but came from a bike with a lot less miles on it so I deduced this may be a common fault.

The cable is new, less than a year old, less than 10 k miles and the outer is good, the old ones outer was also intact when I replaced it.

My concern was that many riders arent like me and dont look at their bikes and could do with a heads up as I think this is a safety issue we all need to be aware of.

I honestly thought I was doing riders a favour.
I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2020, 04:38:58 PM »
Hey Woodie, you did the right thing and it's appreciated. The spirit of your post is exactly right for the forum so keep it up. Being corrected is not mean spirited, it's just par for the course among these old farts who still have bike enthusiasm. I'm quite sure it was nothing personal so be sure to stick around and post anything you think will help us keep these older bikes running.

Online Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2020, 04:44:18 PM »
I've got the same on my Sport at 30K, though not quite as bad as that. I wouldn't have noticed it, except I was trying to route some spotlamp wiring. Certainly made an appreciable mark/depression in the aluminium.

All hail the mighty Tiger clutch cable! I knew it could destroy electrical cables, but seems it can wipe out whole fork legs too!

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2020, 04:50:54 PM »
Yes Thanks Woodie,   :460: it prompted me to have a closer look at mine in the garage as i also have a similar mark in the r/h fork tube  :084:
although im pretty sure mine is from when i had new seals fitted & head bearings greased & retorqued as its a knock mark rather than a rub.

Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2020, 05:17:49 PM »
Aye, thanks for heads up Woodie, made me go check anorl.  :028:

My clutch cable is tucked in tight but the wiring had been rubbing on the fork leg & worn the outer. I'll attend to that t'morra.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2020, 05:32:36 PM »
Just checked on the latest Tiger Sport, and the clutch and cables are tied to the headstock so kept well away from the forks
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R, 2010 Street Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes, and a Yamaha TDR250 for investment fun