Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: stripped threads for sprocket cover  (Read 174 times)

Offline motorbikemac

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 white 1050
  • City / Town: Cottage Grove Wi
stripped threads for sprocket cover
« on: 26 March, 2020, 10:56:23 PM »
Hello All,  I change oil every 3,000 miles and clean the chain and sprocket cover at that interval, too. Two years ago I stripped a threaded hole that holds the sprocket cover. Manual says to tighten to 9 N-M (79 inch-lbs). Today I've stripped a second threaded hole that holds the same cover. Been tightening fasteners to 60 inch-lbs. Anyone have the same problem and a fix? It's a 6 mm fastener. I don't think there's enough metal to put in a helicoil. Will tapping to 7 mm work?

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: stripped threads for sprocket cover
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »
Not had it happen, but cleaning it out same myself, I use a nutrunner to nip up those screws, never torqued them.

I would drill & tap to M7, easiest fix. Use similar plated fasteners & stop torqueing them. People oil or copperslip threads then apply the torque for a dry fit, too much.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline orange99

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2018
  • City / Town: Edenbridge, Kent
« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2020, 10:27:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by motorbikemac [+]
Hello All,  I change oil every 3,000 miles and clean the chain and sprocket cover at that interval, too. Two years ago I stripped a threaded hole that holds the sprocket cover. Manual says to tighten to 9 N-M (79 inch-lbs). Today I've stripped a second threaded hole that holds the same cover. Been tightening fasteners to 60 inch-lbs. Anyone have the same problem and a fix? It's a 6 mm fastener. I don't think there's enough metal to put in a helicoil. Will tapping to 7 mm work?

Probably a stupid question and the first thing you checked but your torque wrench is in inch pounds - mine is foot pounds?
TDM 900 (Commuting duties) and a 2018 Tiger Sport.  Orange Tiger 1050  - gone but not forgotten.........also in the past a 900 Sprint and 955 Tiger.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline motorbikemac

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 white 1050
  • City / Town: Cottage Grove Wi
« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2020, 12:19:11 PM »
I have 3 torque wrenches. 20-150 ft-lbs, 10-75 ft-lbs and 25-150 in-bs. Will try the 7mm drill and tap in one hole and see what happens. And use much less twist to tighten.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #5 on: 27 March, 2020, 12:45:15 PM »

Me too, difficult to over torque :028:
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS