Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TS time for MOT & Tax  (Read 968 times)

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
TS time for MOT & Tax
« on: 26 March, 2020, 01:58:08 PM »
Got the TS MOT'd 3 weeks early as I normally do so missed out on the 6 month extension. Now should I tax it or sorn it.
The 3 week lockdown could go on for months otherwise why give us a 6 month extension on MOT's.

I've cleaned the cars, cleaned the bikes, then cleaned them again, then cleaned them underneath. I've even mowed the lawn, now what. Not so bad for some of you boys, using your bikes to go to work. I did manage 3 rides on the TS the week before lockdown.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
Re: TS time for MOT & Tax
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2020, 02:27:31 PM »
SORN it...we won't out of this until May or later.
They haven't converted the Excel to a makeshift hospital for a couple of weeks use.

And in any case you can tax it immediately if things change
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R, 2010 Street Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes, and a Yamaha TDR250 for investment fun

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:31:04 PM »
I agree, TBH.   SORN it and maybe cancel the tax too.   Snowball's chance in hell of us being out of lockdown before the end of April, so save at least a month's tax.   You can unwind the SORN and buy tax in five minutes, should things change.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:42:31 PM »
Yes, with another 2,885 cases today, we could be a few months before we turn the corner. Very scary times. Recovery rate in UK is not looking good compared to some, early days yet. Everybody being sensible at our local shops, missus had to go pick up her prescription from Boots, big queues but spaced as specified, one out one in.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2020, 08:03:28 PM »
I have two other bikes & two cars taxed but the TS runs out at the end of the month so yes, as you say, sorning it makes sense. I'll not bother cancelling the others.....for now.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #5 on: 27 March, 2020, 09:38:15 PM »
Do a bit more polishing maybe? Could get that mirror finish!  :001:

Haven't even cleaned mine yet. Did mow the lawn though ......

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:32:29 AM »
Ive taken off the fairing side panels, and undone the oil cooler for better access to clean the downpipes, and in front of the engine block.
Next job will drain the oil and remove the oil lines for a polish up with Scotchbrite.
Also gave the chain and sprockets a good clean.
May well flush the coolant too
All easy jobs that keeps me busy and the bike benefits too :152:
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R, 2010 Street Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes, and a Yamaha TDR250 for investment fun

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2020, 11:48:42 AM »
Not sure what I'll do during the lockdown.   Am WFH full time in the week, so other than lack of commuting I've got no more time than usual to 'do jobs'.   With a 6yo and an 8yo in the house, there's plenty to do taking care of them.

I did have a big problem though, which is hopefully now sorted.   Couple of weeks ago, I noticed a strong smell of hot oil when I parked up in the garage getting home form work.   Investigation revealed the sump, oil filter and the bottom parts of the rear suspension stuff were absolutely soaked in oil!   And some streaks on the rear tyre, too.    I'm 99% certain it was a leaking oil filter, I had on a HiFlo filter with a nut welded to the bottom of it, just like those K&Ns which were all bursting and dumping the contents of the sump a year or two back.   There was a bit of corrosion evident but strangely, no oil drips once I'd cleaned it all up and left it overnight.   I gave the filter another 1/4 turn to tighten it, started riding to work the following morning, and stopped after a couple of miles to check - oil everywhere again!   Sent work a text to say what had happened, limped home carefully - and that was it, riding-wise.   During that day I was told to WFH until further notice because of Coronavirus.

I think what happened is the corrosion had weakened a weld holding the nut on, and when the engine is running and the filter is under pressure, it was enough to force oil out.   Hence the leak when running, and nothing when standing.

I have fitted a new filter (without a nut!) and replaced the oil (old filter/oil and done about 4k miles), run it for about ten minutes, no leaks evident at all.   But can't take it out for a proper test and not sure when I will, now.

One thing I will try to do is new chain and sprockets.   They've been on the shelf a year and the current set have done 27k, which is pretty damn good really.

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 955
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: 28 March, 2020, 02:00:36 PM »
God help us if we ever have to fight another war and all the upheaval our previous generations went through and there are folks moaning because they cant ride their bike,id Be more concerned about staying alive this next 6 months got a phone call today from a mate whos got it which came as a wake up call,we are in this for the long haul or at least till the majority of the population have some degree of antibodies in their system,I see the month of May mentioned!!! Yep 2021....

Cheer up wait till its all over and the basic rate of tax goes through roof to pay for all of the Government relief  :001:

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #9 on: 28 March, 2020, 03:12:21 PM »
Might as well sorn everything and hang me hat up.

Might as well be pushing up daisies as living like this. It was me pals funeral 2 weeks ago, he must have seen it coming & got the feck out of it.
Leonardo da Vinci