Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I made a "mudflap" to protect my suspension linkage Tiger 1050 2010  (Read 208 times)

Offline Blackvisor

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 (2010 model
  • City / Town: SE Scotland
I posted earlier about keeping spray from  the rear wheel off the monoshock linkages. Eventually that will wash away the grease from the 0bearings, and here in Scotland the roads are slated in in winter, which is nasty stuff. My Honda Transalp had a mudflap as standard between rear wheel and suspension linkages.

For the Tiger it is an annual service task to dismantle and re-grease the needle rollers. My Tiger had been neglected by a previous owner, resulting in needle roller bearings having been siezed solid, causing awful suspension motion. That was an expensive  fix in the height of the riding season. So, over winter I decided to do something to prevent it recurring, along with another main job of fitting a MIVV low silencer.

THis is what it looks like. pretty crude.

and this is it in place.

I'm not at engineer, far from it, but I did get access to a metal folding machine at work. Knowing the chances of cock-up are high I made several pieces of channel, and cut some plate

THe plate was completely the wrong size, so I ended up cutting another.

I one of the channel pices fitted nicely around the suspension lug on the swingam

I then welded it to the plate. I won't win prizes for my welding, but these won't break and nobody can see them.

I then ordered some nitrile rubber sheet off ebay. On the tyre side, the rubber is 5mm thick, and it extends a bit above the steel plate, and a long way below the steel plate. If the mudflap pivots back wards, then the contact is rubber on rubber, which I hope won't be too damaging.

On the swingarm side I used 3mm rubber sheet, so where there's contact with the swingarm, its rubber against the swingarm. I used dome head allen bolts and cut off the protruding studs. My best efforts to tension the 3mm sheet failed miserably, so I used epoxy glue to bond it to the steel sheet.

The intention was  (at the bottom) to  have the flap hang lower than the linkages, and (at the top), to get an airtight seal, so that the spray from the back wheel doesn't fall down the front of the mudflap. There is a funny odd shaped gap at the top, so some spray could escape down it. But I only realised my error after I had done it, and it's nearly spring and I want to get it on the road. Whilst this isn't perfect, it is  vast improvement on nothing at all. If I make a version 2 I will trim the top of the rubber to fill the gap.

So the next thing to do is to ride the bike and monitor it. Its bolted to the swingarm, so it should move with it. If it pivots back I could spot weld it to the side plate of the suspension linkages.

So far it has cost me 11 for the rubber, and a few hours of my own time. Worth a try I reckon.

And, whilst I was working on the back end, I fitted a Mivv low-slung stainless silencer. I fitted the baffle, so it is quiet in residential areas, but a little fruity (compared to standard) on the open roads.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: I made a "mudflap" to protect my suspension linkage Tiger 1050 201
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:33:16 AM »
 :460: nice but of farkling there blackvisor  :028:
Good explanation and photos, hope it's not too long before you can get the back on the road to test it out , I'm sure it won't be too long before you see some rain up in Scotland  :031:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.