Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Air filter and plugs cange  (Read 467 times)

Offline Luddfooter

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Halifax
Air filter and plugs cange
« on: 25 March, 2020, 01:46:12 PM »
Hi chaps

Just a bit of advice required, i'm about to replace the air filter and plugs on my 2016 TS. I haven't had the tank off before or been anywhere near the air filter, are then any tips i need regarding tools required and what i need to disconnect ect to access everything?

Thanks in advance

Online Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • City / Town: Hastings
Re: Air filter and plugs cange
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2020, 06:25:23 PM »
This handy sticky will help start you off
https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,37837.0.html

I believe there was a query about replacing one of the plugs, maybe ones access is a bit tricky?
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R, 2010 Street Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes, and a Yamaha TDR250 for investment fun

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2020, 07:00:50 PM »
Note the SHORT bits and the LONG bits. They don't interchange.  (assuming the sport same as the original LOL)   I liked to use the socket torx and allen bits.

Suggest Iridium plugs, last long time.  While your there, check filter, replace with ? OEM or Piper.

Depending on mileage, valve check? Truthfully, most is not all don't need valves touched until 50k miles. But a base line isn't a bad idea.

Checking clearances are fairly easy VERSUS changing the shims. 
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2020, 07:06:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ukwes [+]
This handy sticky will help start you off
https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,37837.0.html

I believe there was a query about replacing one of the plugs, maybe ones access is a bit tricky?

Yep, L/H outer plug  (No1 ?)  is a bit of a faff, frame gets in the way a tad but a 3/8 UJ and extension gets around it. Oh, and be prepared for a bit of a battle getting the coil packs off, a large Zip tie looped around the plug section helps
« Last Edit: 25 March, 2020, 07:08:59 PM by Timbox »
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 79 Honda 750L
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2020, 07:16:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by indytiger1050 [+]
Note the SHORT bits and the LONG bits. They don't interchange.  (assuming the sport same as the original LOL)   I liked to use the socket torx and allen bits.

Suggest Iridium plugs, last long time.  While your there, check filter, replace with ? OEM or Piper.

Depending on mileage, valve check? Truthfully, most is not all don't need valves touched until 50k miles. But a base line isn't a bad idea.

Checking clearances are fairly easy VERSUS changing the shims.
  Wow great points.   I rotate the coils and pull them. Electrolytic grease  becomes your friend.  Once coils pulled I use a Q-tip and coat the inner plug section of the coil.

I have a nice magnetic universal adapter for that plug worth a million $  bad part is gearwrench no longer makes them. That and an extension makes pulling that plug real easy. 

Support the forum.   :031:

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2020, 11:36:00 AM »
Plug sockets are weird.   I have four socket sets - the only one that easily fits down the narrow wells on the Tiger, and is just the right length with a UJ attachment and makes cylinder one as easy as the rest, is the one from a 20yo (if not more) basic Halfords cheap set that is otherwise a bit rusty and is in a half-broken box.

The 1/2" Halfords Pro set are very strong and solid but the plug socket is too thick to fit down the hole; the 1/4" Halfords Pro set doesn't have spark plug removers at all; and the one in my 3/8" Teng set, it fits down and unscrews it fine, but the rubber insert pulls out - so the plug gets left behind when you lift it out.    I really should glue it in - but that one tool in the old cheap set is just perfect so I've never quite been bothered enough to do it.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2020, 12:00:46 PM »
I've used the Triumph box key on all mine. Not on the TS, I got muddy to do it.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Luddfooter

• Tiger Pro
  • City / Town: Halifax
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2020, 10:44:04 AM »
Thanks for all the advice chaps, I think Im gonna wait until lock down is over and go to my mates to do it now. He has a better equipped garbage and much more mechanical skill than me!