Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Carbon fiber front fender  (Read 350 times)

Offline lineman65

• Tiger Member
  • riding lineman and dad
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE.
  • City / Town: Martinsburg wv
Carbon fiber front fender
« on: 21 March, 2020, 12:43:24 AM »
Has anyone else mounted an E-bay carbon front fender? How well did it work out? Just wondering. Thanks in advance.
30 years off and on road pleasure an excitement.

Offline Hanta Yo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: New Westminster, BC
Re: Carbon fiber front fender
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2020, 01:30:57 AM »
What brand are you looking at?  I put a Bestemusa carbon front fender on my '07 TT 1050 and it is great.  Because it drops down about 3 inches longer in the back, I no longer gets clouds of steam coming off the radiator at stop signs when driving in the rain (I live in Vancouver BC... it rains a lot). 

HOWEVER... If I remember correctly, the mounting holes were the same size width as the threads of the OEM bolts, but did not take into account that those OEM bolts have a built in spacer / flange.  My mechanic looked around the shop and found a set of four flangeless bolts, put some rubber washers on for good measure and I was off!  I did write to Bestemusa about it because you take a big risk if you try to drill out the holes on carbon fibre parts I am told, but I did not hear back from them that I recall.

I would be interested in knowing what you decide to do.

Best... MS

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2020, 07:43:28 AM »
Yes indeed, this is a nice cheap mod to do and has the immediate benefit of protecting your radiator / oil cooler.

I bought the Pyramid one for my 2007/2008 Tiger. If you are going to use the bolts provided, then make sure you clamp it well for a tight fit.

When I did the same on my TS I just used Gorilla Glue, held in place for 24 hours with clamps.

Good luck  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2020, 09:39:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
Yes indeed, this is a nice cheap mod to do and has the immediate benefit of protecting your radiator / oil cooler.

I bought the Pyramid one for my 2007/2008 Tiger. If you are going to use the bolts provided, then make sure you clamp it well for a tight fit.

When I did the same on my TS I just used Gorilla Glue, held in place for 24 hours with clamps.

Good luck  :031:

YD, are they talking about a full front mud guard or a fender extender?   https://www.bestemusa.com/Triumph-Tiger-1050-2007--2011-100-Carbon-Fiber-Front-Fender-Extended_p_665.html

I'd be interested in a full front fender that is longer at the rear than the OE one.

Cheers, windy  :031:
« Last Edit: 21 March, 2020, 09:41:38 AM by af1-windy »

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2020, 07:51:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by af1-windy [+]
YD, are they talking about a full front mud guard or a fender extender?   https://www.bestemusa.com/Triumph-Tiger-1050-2007--2011-100-Carbon-Fiber-Front-Fender-Extended_p_665.html

I'd be interested in a full front fender that is longer at the rear than the OE one.

Cheers, windy  :031:

Yes, I seem to have assumed incorrectly again  :125:

Changing the entire fender never occurred to me. I guess it might work with the colour contrast and assuming it is longer than the OE with an extender.
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline Legolam

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Fordingbridge
« Reply #5 on: 24 March, 2020, 06:44:05 PM »
I will let you know soon. I ordered one from Powerbronze and received a radiator guard for a speed triple instead  :013: Powerbronze are just sorting it out now ....