Author Topic: TuneECU and OBD2 newb  (Read 2034 times)

Offline SteelSteedSpeed

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Sydney
TuneECU and OBD2 newb
on: 08 March, 2020, 03:41:10 AM
G'day peeps

I'm a complete and utter newb regarding TuneECU and OBD2 connectors and seeking some advice.I own a 66 plate TS, VIN ending in 787160.

I've been ripped off and left rather disappointed with the lack of customer service (and now a distrust) with my local Sydney Triumph dealership, and am now learning to do my own servicing. The basics (fluids and filters etc.) are rather simple for me and I want to delve a little deeper.

My question here is with regard to the OBD2 connector required/recommended for use with TuneECU for Android and my 66 plate TS.
Is anyone currently using the Lonelec OBD2 adapters with TuneECU? If so, which adapter are you using. Cable or Bluetooth?

Apologies for (potentially repeated question). Seems to be an awful lot of miscommunication regarding this topic and finding info on forums is often a headf**k unless one starts a new thread!
TuneECU site and this and other forums seem to state some contradictory info. Specifically regarding the OBD2 adapters/connectors.
Seems that my VIN TS can only be used with TuneECU via Bluetooth. Read somewhere that only certain functionality is obtainable via Bluetooth and only full functionality can be had via a cable. Which is it?
Furthermore, TuneECU site only recommends the Bluetooth connectors from ScanTool (OBDLink MX and LX) yet others appear to be using cheap adapters/connectors from all over the web (Amazon, eBay etc.).

Please help this poor newb!!! My OCD is pinging off the scales and I'm in desperate need to remove the SIA icon from my dash (at the very least).

Thank you.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: TuneECU and OBD2 newb
Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2020, 05:37:23 AM
As far as I can remember the only thing you CANT do with bluetooth is remap, and as there arent any maps for the new TS it doesnt matter. I tried a cheap adaptor of ebay which stated it worked with Tune ECU and didnt so bought a lonelec which worked first time. I like the bluetooth as you can easily carry the adaptor and your phone or tablet with you for roadside issues.

PS: Dont be tempted to leave the adaptor plugged in under the seat as it will drain your battery over time
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2020, 09:04:58 AM
https://nl.aliexpress.com/i/32948517083.html EML327 Bluetooth adapter with TuneEcu app on my Android tablet and smartphone works fine.
Triumph centerstand/engine guards/heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack/DLM36 panniers, SR6404 top rack with M9B plate, WL901/DLM30/V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, Pyramid ExtendaFenda/hugger extension, Puig touring Screen & spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount, Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Micks 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini3 volt/temp/time & LED blinkers

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2020, 09:22:26 AM
*Originally Posted by mustangpilot [+]
https://nl.aliexpress.com/i/32948517083.html EML327 Bluetooth adapter with TuneEcu app on my Android tablet and smartphone works fine.

And yet, I bought what looked exactly the same as that one and it wouldnt connect?  Had the same with the old cables hence coughing up and buying a Triumph Twin Power one.
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline mustangpilot

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2020, 11:18:05 AM
Tim, you are correct. Only ELM327 with version 1.4 and 1.5 will work.
I used version 1.5 since 2012 .
Last Edit: 08 March, 2020, 11:20:28 AM by mustangpilot
Triumph centerstand/engine guards/heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack/DLM36 panniers, SR6404 top rack with M9B plate, WL901/DLM30/V47N/TRK52B topcases, ST603/602 tanklock tankbags, EVOTECH radiator&oilcooler guards, Pyramid ExtendaFenda/hugger extension, Puig touring Screen & spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount, Osco chainoiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch/ brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can, Micks 25mm lowering plates, KOSO Mini3 volt/temp/time & LED blinkers

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #5 on: 08 March, 2020, 08:14:32 PM
Yes I have lots of these. The 'All Protocols' ones just don't work (for me) on anything at all.

The v1.4, v1.5, & v1.6 products all seem to work first time  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline SteelSteedSpeed

• Tiger Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Triumph Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Sydney
Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2020, 08:36:38 PM
Cheers all, for all the info.

Seems it is best to shell out a little extra and buy the dongle recommended by Alain
https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lxbt/

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Reply #7 on: 09 March, 2020, 04:59:40 PM
*Originally Posted by SteelSteedSpeed [+]
Cheers all, for all the info.

Seems it is best to shell out a little extra and buy the dongle recommended by Alain
https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lxbt/

Yes Alain's recommendation has to be a good one.

The only feature you seem to be missing on that one is an on/off switch (unless it has it?), which I have come to found quite desirable (says he who found the cause of his battery running down at a critical moment)  :087:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline Gooza

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: White 2010 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Reply #8 on: 18 March, 2020, 06:07:04 AM
I have the lonelec cable which works a treat with my 2010 Tiger (NOT Sport)

I also tried 2 x fleabay Bluetooth ODBII's to no avail.

Then bought the lonelec Bluetooth.  It works to bleed ABS etc, but I wouldn't trust it myself to upload new maps.  (Thats my OCD or lack of trust in Bluetooth), but the dongle won't connect to the ECU with the motor running, which is bloody annoying, but not the end of the world.

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
Reply #9 on: 18 March, 2020, 10:53:51 PM
*Originally Posted by SteelSteedSpeed [+]
...................I own a 66 plate TS, VIN ending in 787160......................and my 66 plate TS..........

What's a 66 plate?

reconstruction