Author Topic: New Dunlop Mutant  (Read 8314 times)

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
Re: New Dunlop Mutant
Reply #10 on: 29 February, 2020, 02:25:22 AM
This is a really interesting approach to tyre design, construction and application. Pretty gutsy of Dunlop to be claiming the performance of a hypersports tyre suitable for all manner of street bikes (sports, nakeds, sports tourers) in a tyre that will look at home on all the ADV bikes that are predominantly used on the street anyway.

And clever of them to secure and hype the M + S rating so satisfying those people that insist only those tyres rated and approved in accordance with the bike manufacturers tyre placard be fitted.

It'll be interesting to see the speed ratings and then see how the likes of KTM respond with bikes such as their 1290 ADV range which are speed limited purely on the basis of the speed rating of the tyres available to meet the fitment guide. I mean if you buy a new bike and have the dealer fit these new Dunlops before you take delivery would KTM allow them to use their factory Diagnostic Tablet to disable/remove/adjust the speed limit? At the moment they won't no matter how much you press them.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Reply #11 on: 29 February, 2020, 06:32:21 AM
*Originally Posted by TCC [+]
This is a really interesting approach to tyre design, construction and application. Pretty gutsy of Dunlop to be claiming the performance of a hypersports tyre suitable for all manner of street bikes (sports, nakeds, sports tourers) in a tyre that will look at home on all the ADV bikes that are predominantly used on the street anyway.

And clever of them to secure and hype the M + S rating so satisfying those people that insist only those tyres rated and approved in accordance with the bike manufacturers tyre placard be fitted.

It'll be interesting to see the speed ratings and then see how the likes of KTM respond with bikes such as their 1290 ADV range which are speed limited purely on the basis of the speed rating of the tyres available to meet the fitment guide. I mean if you buy a new bike and have the dealer fit these new Dunlops before you take delivery would KTM allow them to use their factory Diagnostic Tablet to disable/remove/adjust the speed limit? At the moment they won't no matter how much you press them.

As far as Im aware, the only bike that KTM limit is the 1290 SAR with the 21" front wheel, and only for the North American market where the bikes come from the factory with Conti TKC80 tyres. I sort of understand them limiting the bike for the US where the legal system has a history of  holding companies to account for user stupidity. The new Mutant is a W Speed Rating (The highest) but there is no 21" option.

I noticed the other day on a KTM 790 R that the limiter for the UK is a sticker, blimey are we still using common sense :008:

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
Reply #12 on: 01 March, 2020, 12:28:49 AM
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
As far as Im aware, the only bike that KTM limit is the 1290 SAR with the 21" front wheel, and only for the North American market where the bikes come from the factory with Conti TKC80 tyres. I sort of understand them limiting the bike for the US where the legal system has a history of  holding companies to account for user stupidity. The new Mutant is a W Speed Rating (The highest) but there is no 21" option.

Ah, thanks for that. I have been following the endeavours of a couple of guys on one of the KTM forums complaining they couldn't get the speed limiter disabled. It hadn't occurred to me this might only apply to the 21" front wheel models. It explains why one of them mentioned they were were prepared to swap not just tyres but the wheels as well.

And thanks for confirming the new Mutant is a W Speed Rating. Might consider them for my 1290 SD-GT in that case.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: 01 March, 2020, 07:45:00 AM
*Originally Posted by TCC [+]
Ah, thanks for that. I have been following the endeavours of a couple of guys on one of the KTM forums complaining they couldn't get the speed limiter disabled. It hadn't occurred to me this might only apply to the 21" front wheel models. It explains why one of them mentioned they were were prepared to swap not just tyres but the wheels as well.

And thanks for confirming the new Mutant is a W Speed Rating. Might consider them for my 1290 SD-GT in that case.

well apparently Bren Tuning in the USA have a way of removing the limiter, but nobody is quite sure how they do it and it aint cheap

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 955
  • City / Town: Birmingham
Reply #14 on: 04 March, 2020, 12:39:54 PM
Walk into my contacts place got the usual cheery WTF do you want  :001:,actually iíve Come to feel a tyre  :150: which causes even more hilarity.... for a Dunlop the side walls are a lot softer than the norm,iíll  be generous and say they have a way to go before they obtain any kudos......

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #15 on: 09 March, 2020, 12:03:06 AM
Reminds me of the Tourances I used to have on my old GS100. They were OK .. ish ....

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Topic Author
Reply #16 on: 09 March, 2020, 05:41:29 AM
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Reminds me of the Tourances I used to have on my old GS100. They were OK .. ish ....

Last had Tourances on a 955 Tiger, I could lock the front wheel up quite easily in the dry which was not that much fun :003: