Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumphs from Thailand?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline kraftykarper

• Tiger Member
  • This is not a rehersal.
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Norwich
Triumphs from Thailand?
« on: 21 February, 2020, 08:42:38 PM »
Just been reading on MCN website that triumph are moving all mass production to Thailand. I love my tiger sport and have had it from new from 2016 and at my age can't see a new bike on the horizon any time soon. With the new tiger 900s do you think the tiger sport will be dropped soon? It will be a shame as I think its a great do it all bike, except not off road, but for the majority of us it's a great ride. Tour, back roads, a fun blast or just nip to the shops! It's fast enough, comfortable, fun, just enough tech and sounds good too. Maybe we want smaller, lighter bikes though? What do others think? I'll hang on to mine though as long as possible! 😂

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Re: Triumphs from Thailand?
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2020, 09:45:38 PM »
Funny that. Just been looking at the preview for the new 1200 and wondering if that might be enough to see a new bike in my garage next year  :007:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #2 on: 22 February, 2020, 07:35:13 AM »
What has changed, the high volume bikes have been built in Thailand for several years now. With the low volume built at Hinckley eg 1050, 1200 & R3. Not sure which of those would be considered high enough volume for a move to Thailand.
Not really important, their build quality is fine, I have a Thailand Tiger 800, can't fault the build.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2020, 08:42:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
What has changed, the high volume bikes have been built in Thailand for several years now. With the low volume built at Hinckley eg 1050, 1200 & R3. Not sure which of those would be considered high enough volume for a move to Thailand.
Not really important, their build quality is fine, I have a Thailand Tiger 800, can't fault the build.

I agree that the bikes out of Thailand are certainly up to standard. Not really an issue  :110:
(my MY18 was built at the Hinckley plant).
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline kraftykarper

• Tiger Member
  • This is not a rehersal.
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Norwich
« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2020, 09:38:15 AM »
Agree, quality is not an issue. Reading the article in full I was surprised that currently only 10% of the bikes are UK manufactured, so in a worldwide market this strategy makes sense. Lower manufacturing costs in Thailand and its geographically close to the emerging markets. Triumph can't afford to stand still when their competitors are doing the same thing. All good logical business decisions. It's just a shame, that nothing in their main range will be UK built, sort of symbolic. Wouldn't stop me from getting another new triumph, if and when I could. Maybe as us oldies look for lighter smaller bikes the sub 500 market their developing, it could be just what we want to keep us biking? Roll on springtime in the UK then the tiger might just get off the optimate again, only been out on it once since Christmas. 😂

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #5 on: 22 February, 2020, 01:26:51 PM »
Have any of you seen  this article from yesterday,  redundancies at Hinkley due to the move to more production in India and Thailand 😥
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/exclusive-triumph-motorcycles-planning-hinckley-3872206.amp
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
« Reply #6 on: 22 February, 2020, 06:15:56 PM »
I like the idea that my Triumph was made in the UK, it was a big part of the decision to go for the Sprint and the TS.
If I can't get my next bike made here it opens up lots more options for me, so I've no interest in retro or cruisers, and Triumph are making their new 900 and 1200, in their words 'more capable off road' which I don't need, so I'm thinking my next bike won't be a Thai Triumph.

17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #7 on: 22 February, 2020, 07:12:22 PM »
Do ya think Mr Bloor could make me one of these for me old age. A lightweight 500 single like the B50. Shouldn't be difficult, all the old boys are saying this is what they'd like for local bimbling about.

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 955
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: 22 February, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »
Or be it a long time ago as some one who all but gave up riding a road bike for 10 years to race off-road from the Western Beach race too the Welsh 2 day,ive Never managed to get my head around off-roading a road bike and here are Triumph building a 1200 to do that!!!!

With currently more bikes than I should have their are two prospective  bikes out there that I have any interesting in,when Yamaha get off their backsides and fit the Big Bang R1 engine in a Tenere and Triumph coming up with a modern day 1200 Triumph with 17 wheels so I await with interest.

As for where a bike is made,yes I like the idea of made in the UK but im As mercenary as the next when it comes to cost and with 3 Beemers a Tiger,a KTM and a Yamaha im The last person to make a fuss.

But put me down as an interested punter.

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 955
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: 22 February, 2020, 07:16:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Do ya think Mr Bloor could make me one of these for me old age. A lightweight 500 single like the B50. Shouldn't be difficult, all the old boys are saying this is what they'd like for local bimbling about.

Ive got an XT660X with all the bells and whistles on and bit more for doing that.