Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !



Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MCN  (Read 1434 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7498
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: MCN
« Reply #10 on: 23 February, 2020, 10:25:06 AM »
Triumph have never been into low CofG, sounds like they're trying it with the T900. Hopefully it will catch on with them. The old Brits were designed with all spindles in line for a reason.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline tiggersteve

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7760
  • Bike/Model: 1050 now KTM 1290SAS
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
  • Country: UK
Re: MCN
« Reply #11 on: 23 February, 2020, 11:55:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by R3morf3R [+]
Hi Tiggersteve,

I drove the last Explorer and it felt like a tank, nowhere as nimble/sporty as my S1000XR or the Tiger Sport for that matter.
I hope the new one is a nice mix of the latter two bikes .
A lower centre of gravity would also be a huge plus.

All the best,

R3mo

Can't argue with that  :008: was just pointing out it had what you asked for

I am also hopefull it will be less of a handfull

Offline R3morf3R

  • Tiger Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 429
  • HP and torque enamoured fool... Famous last words.
  • Bike/Model: TS17, now an S1000XR
  • City / Town: Leuven (Brussels)
  • Country: Belgium
Re: MCN
« Reply #12 on: 23 February, 2020, 12:14:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Triumph have never been into low CofG, sounds like they're trying it with the T900. Hopefully it will catch on with them. The old Brits were designed with all spindles in line for a reason.

Hi P2B,

could you explain that a bit more? I don't quite understand what you mean by that probably very sound statement.

All the best,

R3mo

Offline Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7498
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: MCN
« Reply #13 on: 23 February, 2020, 12:44:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by R3morf3R [+]
Hi P2B,

could you explain that a bit more? I don't quite understand what you mean by that probably very sound statement.

All the best,

R3mo

Ayup m8, If we look at a side view of an old Brit bike, all spindles are generally in line eg Wheel spindles, crankshaft, gearbox main shaft, & swingarm. Puts a lot of weight below the wheel spindles, so gives a lower CofG. I can take hold of the handlebar of my Ariel FH, 412lb dry, lower it down & pick it up easy with one hand. Not do that with a modern bike. Of a similar weight, the engines are fitted high, then on some the gearboxes are stacked above.

See pic of a Vincent for example:
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline seangee

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Posts: 2606
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: MCN
« Reply #14 on: 23 February, 2020, 01:02:52 PM »
Must confess the 1200/1215 was always my favourite of the triple lumps.
If not for the weight and high COG I would have a TEX in my garage instead of the TS. No (personal) problems with the physical size and it would have been great for mile munching, but sometimes you need to do different kinds of riding.

Now if they can find a way to knock off 30kgs and lower the COG it may be a contender. if they knock off 2kgs like they did last time (and advertise how they have made it lighter) I will probably continue to not have one.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Online ZuluTiger

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Posts: 2382
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
  • Country: USA
Re: MCN
« Reply #15 on: 23 February, 2020, 01:15:58 PM »
Interesting comment and explanation Paul. I'd not thought about that. Even my old Honda 750 Four kinda followed the rule. It was heavy but I could easily pick it up myself. Of course I needed to do that since the front brake rotors (without drilled holes) locked up without giving any feedback so I had three related panic offs requiring pick-ups.

Offline Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7498
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: MCN
« Reply #16 on: 23 February, 2020, 01:32:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Must confess the 1200/1215 was always my favourite of the triple lumps.
If not for the weight and high COG I would have a TEX in my garage instead of the TS. No (personal) problems with the physical size and it would have been great for mile munching, but sometimes you need to do different kinds of riding.

But what will the Tex do that the TS won't? The TS matches it on acceleration & has a higher top speed 140 vs 130, I guess that's limited. But the 800 will do that, tad slower on pickup mind. Best mile muncher I've had was my ST955, crossed France in a day on that np bother, fully loaded with camping kit & missus on pillion. Got near Dunkirk, put tent then a bar for refreshments.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline seangee

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • *
  • Posts: 2606
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: MCN
« Reply #17 on: 23 February, 2020, 06:25:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
But what will the Tex do that the TS won't? The TS matches it on acceleration & has a higher top speed 140 vs 130, I guess that's limited. But the 800 will do that, tad slower on pickup mind. Best mile muncher I've had was my ST955, crossed France in a day on that np bother, fully loaded with camping kit & missus on pillion. Got near Dunkirk, put tent then a bar for refreshments.
Wot? I need a reason to like a bike now! It Just felt right  :010:

I chopped in the Sprint GT cos my bones were getting too old for the riding position. That was a brilliant mile muncher but  the weight and ridiculously long wheelbase meant it was not too nimble in heavy traffic.  Really liked the TEX and it felt good on test rides but the 16 model was exactly the same weight as the GT. SInce part of the reason for the change was the weight, and I do ride in traffic qite a lot, I chose the TS. No regrets.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 7498
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: MCN
« Reply #18 on: 23 February, 2020, 06:36:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Wot? I need a reason to like a bike now! It Just felt right  :010:

I chopped in the Sprint GT cos my bones were getting too old for the riding position. That was a brilliant mile muncher but  the weight and ridiculously long wheelbase meant it was not too nimble in heavy traffic.  Really liked the TEX and it felt good on test rides but the 16 model was exactly the same weight as the GT. SInce part of the reason for the change was the weight, and I do ride in traffic qite a lot, I chose the TS. No regrets.

I had the ST1050, not a patch on the ST955, tried the GT, horrible uncomfy thing. So that's how I ended up on a TS. People buy the Tex, find them a tad cumbersome then buy the 800, missing out the best.

The Tex is heavier than Tyson Fury & Deontay Wilder & the referee put together, do ya really want to wrestle that around.
« Last Edit: 23 February, 2020, 07:20:12 PM by Paul2bikes »
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline mustangpilot

  • Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • *
  • Posts: 384
  • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger Sport
  • Country: Netherlands
Re: MCN
« Reply #19 on: 25 February, 2020, 05:49:43 PM »
I've been going back and forth between 1050 and 1215 Triumphs. Now back again on my second Tiger Sport  :047:

« Last Edit: 25 February, 2020, 05:53:47 PM by mustangpilot »
Triumph centerstand, engine guards and heated grips, GIVI PLR6404 side rack, Givi DLM36 panniers, SR6404 topbox rack with M9B plate, Givi V47 and TRK52B topcases, Givi ST603 tanklock tankbag, Evotech radiator and oil cooler guard, ExtendaFenda, Pyramid hugger extension, Puig touring Screen with spoiler, Zumo 396 with Zumolock holder on RAM mount,  Osco chain oiler, SWMotech sidestand extension, CNC shorty clutch & brake levers, SCPROJECT SC1-R can